ABS printing temperatures for UP!

Talk about anything.
3dpriningfan

ABS printing temperatures for UP!

Post by 3dpriningfan » Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Hello,

I am new to UP! printers.

What are the printing temperatures for ABS? I heard they were high compare with the other personal printers.

Are they the same for different models?

Thank you,

Kevin

roller

Re: ABS printing temperatures for UP!

Post by roller » Fri May 17, 2013 4:12 am

From memory the extruder temp is 260C - the genuine filament that comes from PP3DP/Up! is designed for this higher temp and I must say, as a long time reprapper, it does give some nice results especially with part/support separation. To use regular ABS filament many choose to make a mod to the printer to give lower temperature options otherwise printing with 3D party ABS at 260C makes support removal very difficult.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri May 17, 2013 12:09 pm

3dpriningfan wrote:Hello,

I am new to UP! printers.

What are the printing temperatures for ABS? I heard they were high compare with the other personal printers.

Are they the same for different models?

Thank you,

Kevin
To further elaborate on roller's reply, some other printers use a temp of more like 230C, which is what the "mod" (Octave temperature control switch) gives you on the Up.

roller

Post by roller » Fri May 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Yes, indeed. Though I'm a fan of a trimpot so you can dial in whatever temp you like.

3dpriningfan

Post by 3dpriningfan » Fri May 17, 2013 3:29 pm

Does UP! use only the same material as support (break-away)?

What is the price of OEM filament?

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sat May 18, 2013 3:51 am

3dpriningfan wrote:Does UP! use only the same material as support (break-away)?

What is the price of OEM filament?
The Up prints with only one material at a time, so the support material is whatever you're printing your part with.

Check http://www.octave.com/3D-Printer-Filame ... index.html for OEM filament prices.

Julia

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Sat May 18, 2013 4:46 am

I have a 12 position temp switch, for 5 deg steps...after playing around with different temps I have found that jaime's (3D printergear) premium filament to print way nicer than even the stock UP ABS, at the right temp, and was surprised to find with a 5 deg change, I was able to dial in the support removal to be just as good as the stock ABS, but with smoother, tougher and stronger prints.

once I get the temp just right for colour and type, it prints almost 2x better than I could get the stock ABS to print, so very smooth and silky, with a lovely gloss finish... no graininess or de-lam issues at all, compared to the stock ABS, am truly amazed at how good this printer is, and how good Jamies' nice ABS is when you get the temp just right...well worth the effort I say!!

it sounds weird, but the new ABS I have feels like it was made in japan...it feel and works like japanese engineering, in my mind... :D

K

roller

Post by roller » Sat May 18, 2013 4:49 am

Unless you live somewhere else in the world like Australia where a monopoly on genuine filament makes it about 25% more expensive before local sales tax is added :(