PLA prints on glass are warping

Talk about anything.
lukeott

Re: PLA prints on glass are warping

Post by lukeott » Wed May 21, 2014 7:46 am

I see what you mean. The Formfutura stuff was advertised as having a higher melting temperature than "normal" PLA and looking at their website is states it has a Glass Transition Temperature of 50°C with a Melting Temperature of 180°C to 200°C, but colorFabb is higher, having a Glass Transition Temperature of 55°C with a Melting Temperature of 195°C to 220°C
I really can see now why Drew injects air into the gear to keep it cool, but I think my wife would have something to say if I were to start running an airline from my compressor in the garage into our house and up the stairs :lol:

I tried the colorfabb PLA/PHA last night, it worked first time on painters tape and looks superb, so it looks like I'll be sticking with that. The only downside is it seems more expensive than other PLA, but I suppose you get what you pay for.
Thanks for everyone's input.

roller

Post by roller » Mon May 26, 2014 11:15 am

I have tried Drew's method - it works well and you can just power the air with a fish tank pump which can be very quiet ... mine was only $15 of ebay and cannot be heard above the sound of the printer. I don't use it since getting on to Colofabb though - I use it exclusively with the Up and just use my other Brutstruder based printers with normal PLA.

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Wed May 28, 2014 9:30 am

Good idea, that'll be nice and quiet. I've ordered a fish tank air pump off ebay and I thought I would try hooking it up to a bolt-on tube like this one Julia designed: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26706 but now I realise that as I have an Up Plus 2 it is a slightly different design to the previous versions and so it won't fit. Below is what the Up Plus 2 looks like and the different Extruder Cable Box (v12) which I can't edit as it comes as an UP3 file only. Has anybody added a cooling tube to the Up Plus 2? I was thinking of knocking up a tube in tinkercad, then drilling a hole through the existing cable box and glueing it in place, but if somebody has already designed a box with it incorporated then I am all for taking the route of least resistance :D
Attachments
ScreenClip.JPG
ScreenClip.JPG (77.46 KiB) Viewed 6718 times
Evernote Snapshot 20140527 215104a.JPG
Evernote Snapshot 20140527 215104a.JPG (83.64 KiB) Viewed 6718 times

ming

Post by ming » Wed May 28, 2014 11:47 am

I will post in the mod section of another simple option to cool the extruder without having to print another casing and can be an add on if you do a little mod to the ingress part.
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Wed May 28, 2014 12:52 pm

Hmm. Interesting idea to blow air down the filament inlet.

ming

Post by ming » Wed May 28, 2014 3:40 pm

lukeott wrote:Hmm. Interesting idea to blow air down the filament inlet.
get 2 for 1
cooler filamen and cooler chamber :)
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

roller

Post by roller » Fri May 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Down the filament doesn't work ... how do I know ... I played with this a lot nearly a year ago. The filament temp doesn't change much even with a chilled airflow... not surprising as a heat insulator. What matters most is the volume of air hitting the extruder gear to get the heat out of it before the filament gets there. I found chilling effective but with it's own issues and not worth the extra effort.

Just print up an extra extruder assembly for yourself from the spare parts models and find a place where you can drill an air injection port from the side that will blow the full volume of air onto the extruder gear.

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Fri May 30, 2014 1:33 pm

Just print up an extra extruder assembly for yourself from the spare parts models and find a place where you can drill an air injection port from the side that will blow the full volume of air onto the extruder gear.
That's exactly what I have done and I'll hook up the air pump to it at the weekend.