Best way to print a slide (triangle wedge like object)

Talk about anything.
hajime

Best way to print a slide (triangle wedge like object)

Post by hajime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:47 am

Hello, I want to print something like a slide in the playground. There are two issues: 1. the thin inclined plane (0.2cm in thickness) is not always flat. I have two printings. One is acceptable but the other is bent. 2. At the front edge of the base of the triangle wedge (i.e. bottom front end of the slide in the analogy), curling occur. Could you please let me know the best way to solve these two problems? I have preheat the platform to 100c before printing. Thanks.

JuliaDee

Re: Best way to print a slide (triangle wedge like object)

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:12 am

If you can post a photo it'd be a lot easier for people to make suggestions.

Sometimes a particular object just cannot be printed well in ABS due to warpage and/or delamination. For these, Colorfabb PLA is a good alternative. Unlike regular PLA, it's mixed with another plastic, PHA, to make it easier to work with, and it feeds and extrudes perfectly on the Up without any modifications. It is made in Europe but there is now a U.S. reseller:

http://www.printedsolid.com/

I find it works best with the Up set to PLA mode and full temperature.

Julia

hajime

Post by hajime » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:19 am

Thanks Julia for the link. Attached is the profile of the object. The 3D object is the profile with depth. In one printing, the slope is curl/bent. At the bottom, the bases are often curl along the depth direction.

For the best printing result, in the virtual world inside the UP Plus 2 program, how should I orient this 3D object?
Attachments
slope problem.png
slope problem.png (14.84 KiB) Viewed 12547 times

roller

Post by roller » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:10 am

I would print that side on so that the image you posted would be what it looks like looking straight down on the build plate. Also if warping issues are plaguing your print make sure the windbarrier door is closed and not blowing over the print and consider encapsulating your printer (put a box over it) to keep some of the heat in as it prints. This will reduce the warping.

hajime

Post by hajime » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks. The issues have been solved. However, there is a new problem. The top profile is bent (concave upward). What is the cause of this? Any good way to resolve the issue?

hajime

Post by hajime » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:43 pm

hajime wrote:Thanks. The issues have been solved. However, there is a new problem. The top profile is bent (concave upward). What is the cause of this? Any good way to resolve the issue?
I printed one more and the result is even worse; bending on the top profile as well as on one vertical edge.

LonV

Post by LonV » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:00 am

Would you mind sharing the .stl? It might be helpful.

hajime

Post by hajime » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:50 am

hajime wrote:
hajime wrote:Thanks. The issues have been solved. However, there is a new problem. The top profile is bent (concave upward). What is the cause of this? Any good way to resolve the issue?
I printed one more and the result is even worse; bending on the top profile as well as on one vertical edge.
Sorry I think my observation is incorrect. In the last print, I observed that it is the bottom profile that is bent. This seems to be caused by the curling between the model and the platform and also some kind of separation between the model and the raft (see photos). To solve this issue, should I increase the pre-heat temperature to over 100c before printing?
Attachments
more curling.jpg
more curling.jpg (73.99 KiB) Viewed 12449 times
curling at base.jpg
curling at base.jpg (107.09 KiB) Viewed 12451 times

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:39 am

Yes, wait for the platform to go over 105c. Ensure wind barrier door is closed.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

hajime

Post by hajime » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:24 am

wackojacko wrote:Yes, wait for the platform to go over 105c. Ensure wind barrier door is closed.
I have done that already.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:31 am

hajime wrote:
wackojacko wrote:Yes, wait for the platform to go over 105c. Ensure wind barrier door is closed.
I have done that already.
Put a box over it ... small enough to just fit over the printer. Ideally leave a little space at the bottom for the mainboard (in the base) to breathe. Also, printing in PLA with something like colofabb will eliminate these issues (very little shrinkage) but you need a temp mod to do it well.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:09 pm

It looks to me like your first layer is not being pushed into the perfboard holes - you need to increase your platform initial height by 0.1 - 0.2mm to stop the raft from lifting off the perfboard. Of course, that won't solve the problem of the part lifting from the raft. Maybe use less infill?

hajime

Post by hajime » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:37 am

JuliaDee wrote:It looks to me like your first layer is not being pushed into the perfboard holes - you need to increase your platform initial height by 0.1 - 0.2mm to stop the raft from lifting off the perfboard. Of course, that won't solve the problem of the part lifting from the raft. Maybe use less infill?
Thanks for the suggestions. What is less infill? How can reducing it improves the situation?

roller

Post by roller » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:52 am

Oversimplified, the more plastic in a print the great the shrinking force exerted on the whole print. By changing the fill settings in the setup to something a little more sparse you can help reduce the warp - something like hollow or big hole.

hajime

Post by hajime » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:14 am

roller wrote:Oversimplified, the more plastic in a print the great the shrinking force exerted on the whole print. By changing the fill settings in the setup to something a little more sparse you can help reduce the warp - something like hollow or big hole.
Thanks for the explanation. If I reduce the infill, the object will become less rigid. Am I right? Do I have to experiment on different infill settings to find a set of parameters that will produce reasonably rigid object will less/no curling?

Do you think using Nylon from Octave could improve the situation?

With the Up Plus 2 being a low cost personal desktop printer, it is too much to expect that it produces excellent models all the time? Do more expensive printers like the uPlus produce better models? I tried it once to build a frame with some small screw holes. My impression of one print is that it is not any better than the Up Plus 2.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:42 am

Warping will always be a problem for some parts in ABS, it's a characteristic of the material and not so much of the printer, although things like enclosures and heated beds can make a difference. There are materials that don't shrink when they cool, and therefore don't have warping problems: PLA, Colorfabb PLA/PHA, Nylon, and Bend-Lay to name a few. Not sure about HIPS. Each material presents its own particular challenges. Colorfabb is pretty easy and prints well on the Up if you have a temperature control. Pure PLA can be difficult on the Up due to its low melting point. Nylon is strong but the parts are often not as beautiful and detailed as with ABS or PLA (and you need a temperature control for best results). Bend-Lay prints beautifully but doesn't come in colors AFAIK.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:44 am

Why don't you post the STL so that others can try it and maybe we can find a solution?