A total Newbie with his first printer... The Box on my desk!

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
NAST555

A total Newbie with his first printer... The Box on my desk!

Post by NAST555 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi all,

I am totally new to 3d printing and printers and have been doing some research into buying one for some time. I did quite a bit of research and settled on the UP! Box, paid for it, and the next day it was delivered from the agents over here (South Africa).

I had already downloaded the manual for it before it had arrived and had gone through it a few times thinking "Ummm well let's see what happens" . It got here in it's nice big box and I started opening it up. First impressions were really well packaged and really neat. I went throught the whole setup procedure and printed the bunny... I thought "could it be this damn easy?". As a cnc machinist by trade it seemed pretty easy so I imported a few gears that I had drawn in my CAD into the up and printed away.... "CLICK CLICK CLICK" and no filament coming out of the nozzle :shock: OK so back to the manual, I stripped the head off as described and cleaned the drive gear and put it all back together. I didn't however auto level it again and this is where the "fun" started. After taking the print plate out after the bunny print and putting it back in again I didnt notice that some of the holding screws were loose (either that or I printed the bunny on a flat section of the plate) and when it was done with the raft layer it pushed the whole plate towards the door :o So I stopped it,cleaned it all, and put the plate back on. After the plate was in position I played a bit with the screws till they were juuuuust loose enough for me to remove the plate... That problem solved :) Extrude it again to get it all going and I was on my way again.

Then I printed a few things at 0.1mm and what a PITA to remove the raft. I wondered if all the videos that I had watched before buying a printer were just a load of rubbish and I was stuck with it that way. That is how I found this forum. I googled UP BOX removing raft problems and saw that 0.1 is currently a bad idea especially with prints that have larger surface area. At 0.15mm and bigger it makes life LOADS easier removing it. Another thing that I learnt on here was how to turn off the supports (that are not always in places that I like,you will see the little headless man in my pic found his demise because of this) so thanks to all the help so far! I have also been playing around with Meshmixer and working with the up software so far it has been great.

Today I read up on temperature mods on here so will maybe,probably definatlely, have a few stupid questions coming all of you ways. Anyways I attached a pic of a few of my "HIT's and MISS's" for you guy to laught at ;) Some are a bit dirty from my workshop hands. And thanks again for all the help so far by purely reading up on posts on here.
Attachments
DSC_0180.JPG
DSC_0180.JPG (161.83 KiB) Viewed 8020 times
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success

Taylor-Designs

Re: A total Newbie with his first printer... The Box on my d

Post by Taylor-Designs » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:28 am

A Mazda rotary engine fan I see :)

Yoshi222

Post by Yoshi222 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:23 am

Hi Nast555,

I've found it necessary to always print with the fan door open on the UP BOX, support removal was terrible at all resolutions otherwise.

Also, don't use the auto height detect, use the auto leveling and then move the head to a zero height position of the 9 height positions you'll have and manually set the height using a piece of paper. This will give you control over how much the nozzle is smooshing down the layers.

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:26 am

Hi Taylor... Thanks for the reply!

Yup... I though the rotary would be a nice tester for it but I scaled it too small so a lot of the small parts were too tiny to be workable. It still came out pretty neat.

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:49 am

Hi Yoshi22... Thanks for the information!

I have only used the self setting height. Thanks for the headsup I am going to give it a try with a manual height setting now. If I use a piece of paper does that mean that the nozzle should be set about 0.1mm higher than the plate as it's nozzle height?

Also once I stopped printing at 0.1mm layers my raft removal has actually been a breeze in ABS. Sorry for my probably stupid question but the fan door? Would that be the top or the air filter cover?

I am currently playing around with some PLA at the moment and am also using this awesome mod http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54781 which has helped me to start learning about the temperatures. I also heat the table up for a minute of two using it and the pla has looked pretty good barring a few mess ups here and there. PLA seems to be a different monster, I struggled with it quite a bit and then printed out on oiler that has seemed to work wonders. I also printed out a side spool holder. On the top of the oiler I drilled the hole out a bit so that it fits nice and snug on the filament inlet tube. This seems to also help for keeping tension on the filament.
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (191.03 KiB) Viewed 7916 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (218.28 KiB) Viewed 7916 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (198.55 KiB) Viewed 7916 times

Yoshi222

Post by Yoshi222 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:53 am

Sorry for the late reply, It's hard to have a flowing conversation with the level of monitoring done by the moderators.

How you use the piece of paper will vary with filament and local conditions. At the moment on the box I find the increment where the paper can just move under the nozzle (tightly) and then back it off 0.1. Using the Up+2 in a cold environment I'd go a bit closer.

Fan door is the little wing low down on the extruder shroud. In one position it will divert air towards the nozzle.

NAST555

Post by NAST555 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:40 am

A bit more playing... Raftless ABS print on the smooth plate. I used some ABS/Acetone mix on the plate and it took some time to get my level correct but it worked well. I did the re-leveling and noticed that it was out A LOT!! So I did the fine tuning calibration too and I have it pretty darn close now. The only thing that messed with me is that by the time I was half way through the calibration the little jog arrows jumped 0.06mm all of a sudden. I had to start from the beginning again since the fine tuning does not have the option to go in hundredths but only tenths. I then did the auto nozzle detection and was... roughly 3mm out :o So I dialed it in slowly till my first layer was nice and flat on the plate. The sizes of the box checked out really close.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (188.8 KiB) Viewed 7893 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (55.27 KiB) Viewed 7893 times