How is the UP BOX compared with uPrint SE Plus?

Share your experience with UP BOX and UP BOX+
uplus2user

How is the UP BOX compared with uPrint SE Plus?

Post by uplus2user » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Hello,

At school, we are using the uPrint SE Plus:

http://www.stratasys.com/3d-printers/id ... nt-se-plus

The cost of the material is about US$500 and it takes about an hour to start the machine and load the support and ABS materials. Given that I am satisfied with the print quality of the UP Plus 2 and the build volume between the UP BOX and the uPrint SE Plus are very similar, I wonder if the UP BOX could replace the uPrint SE Plus. Any opinion? Also, is the ABS Plus used in the uPrint SE Plus very similar to the ABS used in the UP BOX in reality?

Taylor-Designs

Re: How is the UP BOX compared with uPrint SE Plus?

Post by Taylor-Designs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:12 pm

In Australia the Uprint SE Plus is $29000. The UP Box is $3000. So I think yes, 10 Up Box printers would outperform 1 Uprint, much higher throughput running 10 machines at once. :lol:

gordon37

Post by gordon37 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:12 pm

at work I use a dimension 3d printer from stratasys which i believe is very similar to Uprint, at least I can't tell the difference by the look.
Just got my UPBOX on hand today, will let you know when I have done some parts I modelled and measured.

uplus2user

Post by uplus2user » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:17 pm

As mentioned in another post, besides the long wait time for loading/unloading materials, I have three issues with the expensive uPrint SE Plus:

1. Low resolution in z-axis. It cannot print smooth curved surfaces. The UP BOX seems to have a higher resolution.
2. Sometimes one edge looks very ugly. Stratasys's distributor said that it is caused by the same start and end printing point. They said that only more expensive models could randomize the start and end points.
3. The printer is very sensitive to the surrounding temperature. Often, during hot weather, an error message shows up saying that the support material get jammed. Stratasys distributor told me that I have to keep the room temperature at certain range for the printer to function.

I am interested in knowing how the UP BOX performs in relation to the above three issues.