Job failing after first 3mm

Support for UP BOX and UP BOX+. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
tel

Job failing after first 3mm

Post by tel » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:16 am

I am trying to print a bigger job and have tried everything I can think of but am still getting a print nozzle jam after about 3 - 4mm of the print resulting in air prints.
What I have tried so far is;
- Manually callibrating the bed and print head height to ensure nowhere has the nozzle hitting the printbed when laying down the raft
- trying all combinations of the fan deflector from fully open to fully shut
- printing at 0.25 (wanted to originally print at 0.15)
- printing with lid up to try to reduce temp in box
- printing on normal and fine
- reducing the temp of the extruder to 250 (via octave temp switch) - I'm using ABS and using official UP filament

Most times when I stop the print (due to it air printing) there is a hardened burt piece of plastic that has blocked the head, so pretty sure that is my problem.

Any ideas on what I can try next?

Matchpoint

Re: Job failing after first 3mm

Post by Matchpoint » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:25 pm

What material is it?
Do you have the new cover where the filament feeds through the top or does it feed into the side of the extruder?
What is it exactly doing? Does it clunk?

tel

Post by tel » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:43 pm

Im using the white ABS UP filament. The cover is the new one that feeds from the top. It prints fine, with no clunking or any other unusual noise, but then just starts to airprint. I continually check it and its not until the print head gets a couple of millimetres away from the print that I realise it is air printing (ie no unusual noises or anything else out of the ordinary happens). If I pause/stop the print, I quite often find a blocked nozzle. The ABS that blocks the nozzle can be removed by hand as it is in a small ball on the tip of the nozzle. When I remove it, it is a burnt colour and also is quite hard. As soon as this is removed I need to withdraw and then reload the filament for it to extrude properly again (but print is obviously ruined by then due to the period it was air printing).

Matchpoint

Post by Matchpoint » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:01 pm

can you take a picture of the first layer you put down, and are you using a raft?
You can sometimes get to low of a layer height and can clog the nozzle, try raising your nozzle height.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Tegregg,

This will not answer your question.. However a quick way to tell if you are air printing is to mark the outer edge of the filament spool with some white dots, assuming the spool is black, at about 90 degree intervals. Then you can see at least one of these all the time and see if the spool is slowly turning as filament is pulled from it. Won't cure your problem but makes it very easy to identify air printing.

cheer

Peter

ricks01

Post by ricks01 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:42 pm

mr6k wrote:Tegregg,

This will not answer your question.. However a quick way to tell if you are air printing is to mark the outer edge of the filament spool with some white dots, assuming the spool is black, at about 90 degree intervals. Then you can see at least one of these all the time and see if the spool is slowly turning as filament is pulled from it. Won't cure your problem but makes it very easy to identify air printing.

cheer

Peter

Well of course this only works if you are sitting and watching the printer as it prints, most people will start a print and go to a different room, especially if it is a long print... Just sayin'

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:24 pm

Agreed only works if you are at the printer, but Tegregg did specifically say " I continually check it and its not until the print head gets a couple of millimetres away from the print that I realise it is air printing".

cheers

Peter

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:15 am

I would suggest go back to "default settings".
Set the temp mod to "off", make sure you use ABS setting in software.
for ABS close the fan duct should be ok.

when use extrude function in maintenace, if the extruded plastic is kind of spiral shape, means it is half blocked or about to be blocked (due to non-spherical opening). normal nozzle give straight extruded lines. If this is the case, change a new nozzle may slove the problem.

Could also open the extruder see anything blocking the extrusion.

withdraw the filament and measure its OD see if the it is too thin or try another spool to exclude the filament's problem.

make sure spool is turning ok, also make sure filament is not strangled on the spool.

tel

Post by tel » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:13 am

Thanks, will try the options suggested. The temp mod is already off, and the extrude looks fine. I have changed the spool as well as the nozzle so will see how that goes.
Picture of first layer

mrt

Post by mrt » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:43 am

Hi Terry

I find the UP Box nozzle height can vary a lot across the platform. On our Upbox I always set the Nozzle height manually. On our printer, the perfect clearance is a piece of paper folded in 4. Check the nozzle height manually at each corner and in the centre of the perfboard.
If you find a variance you may need to manually level the platform. I use an automotive feeler gauge between the nozzle and perfboard to level the platform manually. After getting the platform as close as possible manually do the Auto Platform Levelling then manually set the nozzle height.

Before doing large prints I usually do a small print of small parts across the platform. See the attached image.
Note (I had my UP Plus 2 connected when I took the screen cap hence why it is larger than the platform but you will get the idea)
Its better if it fails during this small test print that the actual job.

Disassemble the Extruder to check the extruder gear is no plastic build up around the extruder gear. Build up around the extruder gear may not stop the filament feeding when you extrude but as soon as the nozzle starts the print and has back pressure it will print air.
Michael
3D Printing Solutions
www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au

Acris

Post by Acris » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:23 pm

I am having this problem as well. Did you end up finding a solution??

tel

Post by tel » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:25 am

Acris wrote:I am having this problem as well. Did you end up finding a solution??
I followed Michael's (mrt) post and levelled the bed manually. Since then I havent had any airprints other than for the job I was initially trying to print. The problem seems more related to the job than the printer, but that said, prior to spending the time levelling the bed manually, I was getting quite a few jobs that ended up airprinting. Now, as I mentioned, Im getting none.