Not model & support error

How print better models
SteveW

Not model & support error

Post by SteveW » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:04 am

I made a quickie model of a little building with a satellite dish on it that I've attached. When trying to print preview on the Up! software I get a "Not model & support" error. The model needs to be scaled up 25.4x to get it to the correct scale, and at that time it reports the error for height 4.0-4.2.

Is the overhang at that point a problem? I have tried adding different scaling factors and using the Unsolid Model option, with no effect.
Attachments
satellite.jpg
satellite.jpg (22.58 KiB) Viewed 2096 times

Marcus

Re: Not model & support error

Post by Marcus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:34 am

This should print fine from my experience;
Either you need to change the support angle settings or there is a error in the model (the fix unsolid option will not help with every problem). It's hard to tell without seeing the model.
With some of my sloppy models I had similar issues, but rescaling it just a little sometimes helped. Or using Meshlab or Netfabb (Cloud) to fix the model. If everything goes wrong you could still try printing it on the backside.

Could you provide a few more angles of the model (perhaps higher resolution, if not possible due to upl
oad limits try picpaste.com or some other service) or even provide the STL (Thingiverse?)?

From what I can see in the small picture, there are two irregularities;
sat.jpg
sat.jpg (33.92 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
They look like open surfaces, but due to the low resolution I am not sure.
Such holes sometimes cause these problems.