We Need More Suggestions

How print better models
quarksurfer

Re: We Need More Suggestions

Post by quarksurfer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:29 am

I need 64 also. I'm going to have to buy a used computer just to get my hands on x32!! :(

Chris.e

Post by Chris.e » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 am

quarksurfer wrote:I need 64 also. I'm going to have to buy a used computer just to get my hands on x32!! :(
Doesnt it work to "run in compatability mode" under win7? And why use 2 machines, is'nt dual OS install a better option?

EDIT: Sorry i saw that it was the driver that did not support x64, not the software..

parkolay

Post by parkolay » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Under the "Maintain" screen when setting the nozzle height, I think it would be nice that when you click on the adjust button (triangle pointing up and down) that this control the height of the Z-Axis as well as adjust the number in the box, without having to click the "TO" button.

Another way to state the above;

So instead of adjusting the the number (clicking the up or down button) and then clicking on the "TO" button to move the build platform, just clicking the adjustment buttons increments or decrements the number in the box and moves the build platform on the Z-axis.

I would keep the "TO" button to still allow direct entering of the value into the box and then send the value to the control board.

I do like that after a certain value you can not enter a value larger than 1mm of the previous value, I only wish I knew about it sooner.

It seemed to me that when incrementing the value using the adjustment buttons, that after a certain value limit the adjustment buttons no no longer increment the value in the box.

mccombbj

Post by mccombbj » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:57 am

First of all I just want to say you have a great product and please don't take any of these requests as complaints.
I have had my machine for about a week now and I'm already almost halfway through a spool. I have observed the following, and would like to share some things that I think you could do better with.

A few suggestions~
1. When trying to move\scale\rotate objects, it would be really nice to have a + axis and a - axis button. Instead of having to go back and select the drop down box of -5 or +5, I should be able to type or select the number 5 in the drop down box and then hit the plus and minus axis buttons. It's tedious to go back and select the drop down box again. I would say this has the highest priority, because it's easy to do and makes the user interface much easier.
2. Since I can do multiple objects, it would be nice to be able to stack objects. or have it autostack if my objects fall outside the build area.
3. The software should check the bounds first to see if I am outside the build area, it waits till everything is converted to do so, this could be a considerable amount of time.
4. Please add a feature to be able to view the actual support material, and not just where it shows up on the first layer, this would be very helpful in deciding the orientation of the part on the platform.
5. It would be nice to define a delay time before a print is started. This would allow for an adequate amount of time for my heated build platform to heat up before the print starts to avoid warping.
6. Allow the option to change the temperature of the nozzle. Really want to try PLA on the UP.
7. I really like the autoplace function, however it never seems to put objects close enough, and I have to go in and push them around until the support layer outlines just about touch. Please give an advanced option to select how far apart objects can get. Or add stacking to autoplace if it goes outside the build platform, as stated earlier.
8. Add a widows 64bit driver, I get around it by running windows xp 32bit in virtual box, but it's not ideal.
9. It would be nice to know a couple key values while printing. estimated time to completion (most important one), nozzle temp, and build platform temp in real time.
10. It would be nice to have an undo/redo option, I would put this low on the list though becuase a workaround is to just delete the model you screwed up.
11. Take the question mark button off the toolbar, the question mark implies that you have help menus, since you don't it's kind of silly to have a big button on the toolbar.
12. I think that you should consider your origin (zero), to be right where the nozzle touches the platform. So users can rezero with reference to where they are. I actually had the same problem as some other people where the platform sometimes skips a step at the same point on the z axis when moving from the lowest position to the highest position. It seems to only do this right when I start a print and the platform moves from the bottom to the top. If I could rezero at the top I wouldn't have to use you're init function which leaves the platform all the way at the bottom and my platform wouldn't have to move all the way up.

OK thats all I can think of for now, Thanks for a great product, I hope I can be instrumental in making it better!
~Brian

TTT험ทดสอบ

Post by TTT험ทดสอบ » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:49 pm

mccombbj wrote:First of all I just want to say you have a great product and please don't take any of these requests as complaints.
I have had my machine for about a week now and I'm already almost halfway through a spool. I have observed the following, and would like to share some things that I think you could do better with.

A few suggestions~
1. When trying to move\scale\rotate objects, it would be really nice to have a + axis and a - axis button. Instead of having to go back and select the drop down box of -5 or +5, I should be able to type or select the number 5 in the drop down box and then hit the plus and minus axis buttons. It's tedious to go back and select the drop down box again. I would say this has the highest priority, because it's easy to do and makes the user interface much easier.
2. Since I can do multiple objects, it would be nice to be able to stack objects. or have it autostack if my objects fall outside the build area.
3. The software should check the bounds first to see if I am outside the build area, it waits till everything is converted to do so, this could be a considerable amount of time.
4. Please add a feature to be able to view the actual support material, and not just where it shows up on the first layer, this would be very helpful in deciding the orientation of the part on the platform.
5. It would be nice to define a delay time before a print is started. This would allow for an adequate amount of time for my heated build platform to heat up before the print starts to avoid warping.
6. Allow the option to change the temperature of the nozzle. Really want to try PLA on the UP.
7. I really like the autoplace function, however it never seems to put objects close enough, and I have to go in and push them around until the support layer outlines just about touch. Please give an advanced option to select how far apart objects can get. Or add stacking to autoplace if it goes outside the build platform, as stated earlier.
8. Add a widows 64bit driver, I get around it by running windows xp 32bit in virtual box, but it's not ideal.
9. It would be nice to know a couple key values while printing. estimated time to completion (most important one), nozzle temp, and build platform temp in real time.
10. It would be nice to have an undo/redo option, I would put this low on the list though becuase a workaround is to just delete the model you screwed up.
11. Take the question mark button off the toolbar, the question mark implies that you have help menus, since you don't it's kind of silly to have a big button on the toolbar.
12. I think that you should consider your origin (zero), to be right where the nozzle touches the platform. So users can rezero with reference to where they are. I actually had the same problem as some other people where the platform sometimes skips a step at the same point on the z axis when moving from the lowest position to the highest position. It seems to only do this right when I start a print and the platform moves from the bottom to the top. If I could rezero at the top I wouldn't have to use you're init function which leaves the platform all the way at the bottom and my platform wouldn't have to move all the way up.

OK thats all I can think of for now, Thanks for a great product, I hope I can be instrumental in making it better!
~Brian
Great suggestions, we will try our best to improve the UP! printer.

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:45 pm

I pu this in another thread, but this part should be in this suggestions thread, really.

One of the issues with these types of machine is that the fine resolution is almost always "required" so people print everything at the finest resolution. I'm pretty sure that, in reality, the base layer doesn't really need any fine detail, and being a long and wide part, it will benefit from being made of the stronger, thicker layers, and faster too, without detriment to the overall system.

A suggestion for the UP! software might be to automatically have it reduce the layer height for the top surfaces, to get more detail, while speeding up high prints and increasing strength by using thicker layers for non-detailed (non surface) layers. That should be fairly easy to do, just work out the location of the top of the model, and divide the top 5 layers (for example) by 8 instead, and make the platform and extruder adjust at that point.

Even better, but more complex, would be to use thinner layers where the layer has detail at the edges, or there is a larger step change. This would mean either user input, or clever guesses by software, though, so is far harder than simply having the top layers be printed at a lower step.

Linkreincarnate

Post by Linkreincarnate » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:46 pm

Ditto on the 64 bit drivers. Most computers now have dual core processors and 64bit operating systems. Linux drivers would be nice too but that may be asking too much..

virtox

Post by virtox » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:27 pm

I know myself and other people have requested this:
A countdown timer on how long it still has to print...

Not sure since when;

It's already there, in the bottom right of the main window :lol:

Never noticed it before :oops:

Chris.e

Post by Chris.e » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:53 pm

I put my vote on x64 driver since i got myself a win7x64 machine :)

Linkreincarnate

Post by Linkreincarnate » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:58 am

I'd like a way to change spools mid print for when you think you have enough plastic but really don't.

mccombbj

Post by mccombbj » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:19 am

I second the changing spools mid print, I just ran out of a spool and wish I had this feature. Also one more feature that would be easy to add would be to start the heater before you start downloading the layers. So that it can get heated up at the same time the layers are being transferred.

piranha32

Post by piranha32 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:57 pm

Here's my idea for new feature in the control software: Command-line tool to send a saved project to a printer. Of course, as bophoto already requested, project would need to contain all necessary models and information. Additionally, some printing parameters could be modified by CLI options. Requesting the CLI-only version of the application I have a very specific use in mind: a remote print server for UP!. It could accept the jobs over a web interface or network share, queue them and automatically send to the printer.
Such minimal application should be easy to port to other OSes, e.g. Linux, what could be the first step towards making the system more windows independent.

j.

cyberbadger

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:34 pm

I second piranha32's idea for a command line client!
piranha32 wrote:Such minimal application should be easy to port to other OSes, e.g. Linux, what could be the first step towards making the system more windows independent.
Piranha3 - I ultimately would like a linux port - and I read this above and I got excited - however there is still the issue of the driver. Unless the Up! really uses like serial over USB - it would require a linux (or other OS) driver also.

piranha32

Post by piranha32 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:15 am

cyberbadger wrote:I second piranha32's idea for a command line client!
Piranha3 - I ultimately would like a linux port - and I read this above and I got excited - however there is still the issue of the driver. Unless the Up! really uses like serial over USB - it would require a linux (or other OS) driver also.
libusb - can talk to any device, not only to serial and is fairly simple to use; cross-platform - available on Linux, *BSD, MacOS, Windows; licensed under LGLP - the application can have a different license.
With a little bit of careful coding, porting of an application executable can be as simple as typing 'make' or pushing 'Compile' button. I'm pretty sure porting the GUI part can also be made simple to port. Of course not using native MS widgets, but some cross-platform library, like e.g. Qt.

j.

cyberbadger

Post by cyberbadger » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:21 am

piranha32,

Cool. I've done a lot of embedded work - but haven't really written drivers for Linux, even though I'm a long time linux/unix user. Unless you count outb() to a parallel port :-P

-cyberbadger

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm using 1.8, and it is mostly great.

Few things:

Preheating seems to stop when the model is being sent to the printer, so, with a large model and my slow laptop, everything cools down again. Then it sits and waits to pre-heat again.

Can we relabel the "Set to nozzle height" button to say "Change nozzle height to current platform height" or even just "Set nozzle height"? The way it reads now implies it will move the platform to the current nozzle height.

Could the up and down arrows jog the platform, rather than having to hit To: each time?

Can we have a way to spoof the printer? Mines running off a laptop elsewhere now. It would be nice to be able to see the dialogues so I can get the wording right! Also, more importantly, it would be nice to be able to play with the projected print times for various settings, without having to go out to the printer, and interrupting a print.

Could we have a software pause button? It seems the UP vanishes from the computer once it starts. Even just a power reset button would be good, rather than cycling the power. (Though that would be hardware)

Finally, hardware. Can you make one power adapter, rather than 3? It seems one of my 5V adapters is dodgy, and the last print I did the green light was off, and the nozzle was sucking air. I tapped the adapter and the green light flicked back on, and the feeder burst back into life. (Yes, it is ironic that my last post before this was one saying that you should get the powered feed!)

ahihmc

Post by ahihmc » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:27 pm

-soapy- wrote: Could we have a software pause button? It seems the UP vanishes from the computer once it starts. Even just a power reset button would be good, rather than cycling the power. (Though that would be hardware)

Finally, hardware. Can you make one power adapter, rather than 3? It seems one of my 5V adapters is dodgy, and the last print I did the green light was off, and the nozzle was sucking air. I tapped the adapter and the green light flicked back on, and the feeder burst back into life. (Yes, it is ironic that my last post before this was one saying that you should get the powered feed!)
Agreed on both these issues. Though I have the feeling that the hardware can't be fixed without a good bit of hacking. I am curious though, what was the original reason multiple power supplies? Even if you need different voltages there's plenty of voltage regulators and other tricks that would make one nice, compact power plug-in.

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:19 pm

A "Do it again" button would be nice.
Once I've taken off the print, and it looks great, hitting a button to simply re-run the print would be great, and a huge time saver.

Another, simple one. Can you change the calibration print model so it has a recessed note of which part is which printed into it? Once off the board, they are all identical! This means that you have to be very careful in which one gets put down where, and certain about which one and which side you are measuring. Plus, it would use a tiny bit less material and time to print.

studionapkin

Post by studionapkin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:30 am

Adjustable extruder temp. That is all. :idea:

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:57 am

Whystler wrote:Suggestion 1: UNDO/REDO (cntrl Z). So if I move the model in the wrong place on the screen, I can "undo" it back to where it was previously.

Suggestion 2: Estimate Time of Printing .. so that I can have the software evaluate the time my model will take to print before I start printing.

Suggestion 3: Estimate How Much Material Print Will Use ... so that I can estimate how much ABS will be used before I print.

Suggestion 4: Read Mind .. so that the machine will look into my thoughts and do exactly what I want it to do without me having to push any buttons :) (joke)

-Whystler
For 1 and 2 have you tried "Print Preview"?
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc