Checking for small geometry

How print better models
Gilius

Checking for small geometry

Post by Gilius » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Is there any way to check for STL files shapes and features that are below 0.6mm in size and will not print because of this? I've had quite a few surprises with features not appearing because the STL was badly designed but I had no way of checking.

-soapy-

Re: Checking for small geometry

Post by -soapy- » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:06 am

I've found this to be a major pain. The print preview shows that it will print, but the head doesn't go to those places, and it doesn't print them. Yet I can trick the printer into doing a single pixel stack a few inches high that is literally a spec of plastic on top of another spec, all the way up, and it gets that right!

So there is no reason not to allow printing of thinner walls.

I'm currently using 0.75mm walls on my designs, and printing them at 0.35mm resolution, with great results - very tough parts, and pretty fast.

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to do thin walls well - after all, look how perfect the single thickness support structures are!

trebuchet03

Post by trebuchet03 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:27 am

I wonder if this is a software performance issue....

To capture small details like that when slicing (before generating tool paths), you need to have finer resolution than the geometry - as a consequence, the software would take longer to prep files for printing...

Pure speculation :)
Engineer - Mechanical, Mechatronic, Reliability, Etcetera
One Offer
Mass Producer

Grok

Post by Grok » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:59 am

I agree! This is a feature that should be fixed.

Gilius

Post by Gilius » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:13 pm

I just want some way to check my model for small features. Does netfabb studio have such a feature?

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:16 pm

It just needs a way to do a proper print preview. If you could output to a fake printer and then render the actual print points in a picture, you could instantly see there is no wall where it should be.