Printer stops while printing

How print better models
ahihmc

Printer stops while printing

Post by ahihmc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:58 pm

I have had this happen a couple of times now on two separate prints, that the printer will stop part way into the printing. The first time the printer stopped the part was about 85% done, and just now the printer stopped before it even built the raft for the part. The nozzle just stops where it is, and the plate cools down. Has anyone else been experiencing printer freezes?

Tiertime-Edward

Re: Printer stops while printing

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:01 am

Hello, can you see the system status on the right bottom corner? Please kindly notify us.

ahihmc

Post by ahihmc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:05 pm

The timer keeps counting down as if all is normal.

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:57 pm

I've just had a cold and annoying 45 minutes where this keeps happening.

Either the printer beeps once, then sits there for ages, without anything warming up, or, twice, it starts the print in the normal way, but prints the first layer then stops, and just sits there burning the plastic!

Initalise works fine, pre-heating works, everything seems fine, but actually printing just fails with no errors, movements, nothing.

I've tried both the model I've been trying to build, and then the UP! format files for the spare parts.

Any ideas?

Whystler

Post by Whystler » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:07 pm

For the first time, I've had a problem with my UP! printer, and it's similar to what you guys are mentioning.

1. My print stopped in the middle of creating a raft for the bottom.

2. So I reinitialized. I was not worried. However, in the rpcoess of initializing the platform did not go where it was supposed to go. In the Materials tab, I clicked on the movement buttons (ie. NR, FR, FL, NL). I found that the platform had problems moving towards the back. Whenever it tried to move to the back it made a repetative sound like it was stuck.

3. So, I turned it off and then turned it back on. I initialized it, and everything seemed fine. It went to the right place and seemed to be able to move towards the back. I set up for another print, and the same exact thing happened. After the print stopped, the printer bed would not move towards the back. It would only move forward, and it made noise when it tried to move backwards.

Did you guys figure it out? Do your printers work now?

-Whystler

cyberbadger

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:27 pm

Whystler,

Your platform axis idle pulley bearing has gone bad.(It's actually two small ball bearings) - Your stepper motor for that axis can't compete with the friction...

Contact pp3dp by email, they'll send you a replacement.

vxbearings online has the bearings - you may be able to get that before you get replacements from pp3dp.

-cyberbadger

cyberbadger

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:32 pm

Whystler,

If you want the info to order your own replacements (I did both, vxb got them to me quicker)

Radial ball bearings - 10mm OD, 5mm ID, 3mm thick - standard bearing suppliers don't have them (at least in the US)
because they are so tiny - a lot of places have 10mmx5mmx4mm - but that's too thick.

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/kit8762
$6.95 US each. You'll need 2.

-cyberbadger

-soapy-

Post by -soapy- » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:47 am

I figured it out. I have to exit the UP! software before unplugging, or it stops. Since I've started doing that (and using the hairdryer for pre-heating), all has been well.

TeamTeamUSA

Post by TeamTeamUSA » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:54 am

cyberbadger wrote:Whystler,

If you want the info to order your own replacements (I did both, vxb got them to me quicker)

Radial ball bearings - 10mm OD, 5mm ID, 3mm thick - standard bearing suppliers don't have them (at least in the US)
because they are so tiny - a lot of places have 10mmx5mmx4mm - but that's too thick.

-cyberbadger
Boca has similar bearings for $3.95 each with free US & CA shipping:
http://www.bocabearings.com/search.aspx ... erator=%3d

Go!

=ml=
¡Fabricado no TeamTeamUSA!
movin' \ shakin' \ troublemakin'

trebuchet03

Post by trebuchet03 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:17 am

TeamTeamUSA wrote:
cyberbadger wrote:Whystler,

-cyberbadger
Boca has similar bearings for $3.95 each with free US & CA shipping:
http://www.bocabearings.com/search.aspx ... erator=%3d

Go!

=ml=

Nice find :)

Price I'm getting is $2.75 http://www.bocabearings.com/productDeta ... emID=15090
Engineer - Mechanical, Mechatronic, Reliability, Etcetera
One Offer
Mass Producer

Whystler

Post by Whystler » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. From what you say it sounds like I can fix it no problem with a bearing replacement.

So, as someone who is not mechanically inclined, but certainly someone who can follow directions to the letter, would you be able to tell me:

-which screws to undo

-which parts to take apart

-approximately where the bearings need to be replaced

Thanks for your help!

-Whystler

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:49 pm

Whystler wrote:For the first time, I've had a problem with my UP! printer, and it's similar to what you guys are mentioning.

1. My print stopped in the middle of creating a raft for the bottom.

2. So I reinitialized. I was not worried. However, in the rpcoess of initializing the platform did not go where it was supposed to go. In the Materials tab, I clicked on the movement buttons (ie. NR, FR, FL, NL). I found that the platform had problems moving towards the back. Whenever it tried to move to the back it made a repetative sound like it was stuck.

3. So, I turned it off and then turned it back on. I initialized it, and everything seemed fine. It went to the right place and seemed to be able to move towards the back. I set up for another print, and the same exact thing happened. After the print stopped, the printer bed would not move towards the back. It would only move forward, and it made noise when it tried to move backwards.

Did you guys figure it out? Do your printers work now?

-Whystler
i have exactly the same problem. They send me two bearing replacements. But exchanging the bearing didn't solve the problem for me. If someone has an idea what else i could try i realy would appreciate it.

thank you

Ben

Chris.e

Post by Chris.e » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:25 am

crap, another of my ball bearings broke and made the motor get real hot trying to move...this time on the Z axis. lucky they sent me an extra last time, although I´m thinking of replacing the ball bearings to better ones. Anyone managed to get them out? mine seems real stuck..(in the black alu belt drive)