Converting Mini to CBD Chitu 3.1 board

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
jeeplvr

Re: Converting Mini to CBD Chitu 3.1 board

Post by jeeplvr » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:41 am

41 emails and counting. They obviously do not want to replace the board even though a warranty is listed on the purchase. I still hesitate to condemn them totally but I am getting very close to pulling the plug on this one. The seller is 3dfilamenta.com they are based over seas and so far are not going to make my Christmas card list.

caesar

Post by caesar » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:07 am

It doesn't look good at all. I just looked at their website and got a bad vibe. They look like just resellers with no knowledge about what they are doing.
I wonder, why didn't you get a board from Panucatt? I have great experience with their services plus I have a feeling that you are in the same Country.

I hope that you can solve it with a Paypal claim...

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:29 am

Email number 40 looks to be the magic number. They finally relented to sending a board even though they wanted me to keep testing. I will see if they send a prepaid shipping return label or not. It took me giving them an ultimatum and threatening them with spreading the word about their appalling service to get them to give up a board. it shouldn't have to be this way.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:14 am

I just came across this on eBay, is this basically the same type of board?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AZSMZ-32bit-con ... 3cf2451c8e

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:43 pm

Specs wise it looks similar, physically it is a lot different. My replacement board is on the boat from China and in a week we will hopefully see some progress. I need to get the Mini back up and running.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:21 pm

Got the new board yesterday and it works. I am working on mounting the LCD and considering where to mount the giant ATX power supply.
There is a lot of little things to consider when replacing the UP electronics mostly because of the design of the UP machine. There is no thermistor on the heat bed so I decided to use the bed without a thermistor (the way its always been). In the firmware for the board there is a provision for ignoring the heat bed so this is what I did. I wired the heat bed directly to a 12 volt supply on the ATX power supply. Anyone familiar with an ATX power supply from a computer will know that the power supply is turned on and off by shorting two of the wires together. I used the back panel switch to control the AXT power supply on and off. I have it so everything comes on when the back panel switch is closed, including the LED strip I installed. The heat bed uses power straight from the power supply so its on when the machine is on and off when the machine is off. I control the bed itself with a small switch I installed on the bed a long time ago. Installing a bed thermistor is always an option later down the road and it would give me control over the bed temperature.
I am concerned about how I am going to modify the firmware to tell the printer where to set the Z height for printing. The end stop position for the Z axis is opposite of where it is on other machines. Usually the Z end stop is where the extruder nozzle is closest to the heat bed so the extruder nozzle is ready to print upon homing the Z axis. The Z end stop on the Mini is at the opposite end of where the extruder nozzle is.
The touch screen LCD is very easy to use and works great. The menus are simple and easy to understand.
More to come.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:46 am

Finally got the board set up to work with the Mini configuration. The UP Mini is bassakwards from a reprap machine in that the end stops are at the max travel points of each axis. There are provisions in the firmware to account for this but figuring it out was a challenge. The text in the firmware is obviously translated from Chinese to English and hard to follow sometimes. The UP Mini has to have one of the worst extruders and hot end in the industry. I just converted one of my other machines to a MK8 with a Hexegon hot end and firmly believe that every 3D printer in the world should come with this style of hot end at the very least.

Macflame

Post by Macflame » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:17 pm

That is very disappointing news. I really hope the situation improves for you.

roller

Post by roller » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:20 am

jeeplvr wrote:Finally got the board set up to work with the Mini configuration. The UP Mini is bassakwards from a reprap machine in that the end stops are at the max travel points of each axis. There are provisions in the firmware to account for this but figuring it out was a challenge. The text in the firmware is obviously translated from Chinese to English and hard to follow sometimes. The UP Mini has to have one of the worst extruders and hot end in the industry. I just converted one of my other machines to a MK8 with a Hexegon hot end and firmly believe that every 3D printer in the world should come with this style of hot end at the very least.
The Up extruder is defintely not that great but beleive me it's nowhere near the worst. Curious you should applaud a MK8 which is also quite flawed for most of the same reasons as the Up extruder... just a little less flawed. On the hotend front I have a lot of respect for the Up style hotend which works reasonably well from 150 to 350C and has spewed a lot more filament without fuss than most of my other hotends. That said, I really my give a hexagon a go but not had the time lately.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:49 am

I like the MK8 only because it is a solid basic affordable platform to build a good direct extruder from. You are right the MK8 has a poor hot end but it is enough better than the UP Mini hot end and extruder that it is slightly more usable. I used an MK8 stepper and mount to adapt a Hexagon hot end into my Da Vinci printer. It is a wonderful upgrade and lets me print PLA easily. I have already used the MK8 in the mini with good results but without being able to control the steps I was not able to print with good detail. Now that I have a board that I can edit the firmware on, the complete MK8 should work until I get the new Hexagon hot end and get a carriage designed and built for the Mini. I cant wait to be able to print PLA with the Mini.
So far I am not too impressed with this Chitu board. Sure it has a touch screen and built in stepper drivers but compared to the Ramps/Arduino setup it just not as configurable. I may end up yanking the Chitu board out and put a ramps/arduino in there and be done with it if I cant get this board to work like I want.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:39 pm

I go exclusively with RAMPS ... it was my first board and I always end up coming back to it .. though a few more free pins would be nice.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:46 am

I have completely given up on this until I get my new MK8 extruder from China. I am just sick and tired of messing with the Mini extruder. I wont give up on the Chitu board until I see how well it works with the MK8.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:06 am

Finally got my MK8 extruder. Should have some results soon.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:31 am

I have never see anything quite as bad as this Chitu 3D printer board. This will be the last post I will make on this piece of garbage so here is the final email I sent to the maker of the board.

"I finally got my new extruder built and have been attempting to test the Chitu board for most of the day.

As you may remember I had a bad board and was sent a "new" board by your company. So today I got to do some real testing and I must say, this board is the worst excuse for a printer board that I have ever seen.

The board constantly reverses the X axis direction whenever I feed filament through the extruder. When told to "home" all the axis, the X axis goes the wrong direction after extruding. It works before extruding but not after.

Also the extruder will work for few seconds and then stutter and stop all together and will not move again until the machine is turned off and back on. I thought the board was corrupting the firmware some how but I have checked and reloaded firmware dozens of times. There is also no way to connect it and use repetier or simplify3d or any other software. Every model has to be loaded on the SD card and printed from the machine.

I am done trying to make this board work at any level. If there is someone out there that has made this board work for them then that is fine but my board is going in the trash. I would have had a Ramps board working weeks ago and been satisfied.

Good job making a board that is quite possibly the most functionality limited, rudimentary, entry board in history.

Regards,

Chris"

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:45 am

Well I changed it out to a Ramps/Arduino and I am up and printing in less than 4 hours including wiring, software and problems. Holy cow I cannot believe how terrible the Chitu board is. Granted I may be part of the problem but the Ramps is producing perfect models so I don't care if I was part of the problem or not. :)

roller

Post by roller » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:36 am

There is no way it should be that hard and since you comfortably had it all running on RAMPS I'm inclined to solely blame the board and say you're in the clear. Good to hear you got it up and running. If you ever try Simplify3D and get it dialled in I'd love to compare results between that and default Up software.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:55 pm

I have been using simplify3D for a few weeks now. It is nice to be able to have prints come out as good as the original UP software.

caesar

Post by caesar » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:42 pm

Hurray! Big up!

Just a little pun, not intended ;)

catfish

Post by catfish » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:29 pm

jeeplvr,

Can you provide a quick overview of the changes you made to get the mini running with Ramps, including the firmware and PC software you're using? I'm getting ready to do the same to resurrect a mini with dead USB and have the arduino/Ramps with the Repetier firmware loaded into the Arduino. Did you modify the extruder or use as is?

Thanks,

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:01 pm

I can list the things specific to the Mini that I did to get it up and running.
I moved all the end stops to be easier to calibrate everything. This took relocating and making all new mounts for the end stops. Minim for X-axis is to the right, for Y-axis is the table all the way forward, Z-axis is at the top. This mimics my other machines and makes set up and firmware calibration way easier.
Installed the board just like any other ramps Arduino boar installation.
Here is my installation http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54821