Converting Mini to CBD Chitu 3.1 board

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
jeeplvr

Converting Mini to CBD Chitu 3.1 board

Post by jeeplvr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:17 am

I am converting my Mini to a CBD Chitu 3.1 control board. My reason is that my Mini cpu is dead and for less than half the price of a cpu I can retrofit to this new board. The details of the board can be seen here. http://3dfilamenta.com/en/motherboards/ ... board.html
There are a few thing that need to be modified on the mini such as the wiring harness from the extruder. It includes the Extruder stepper, fan, hot end thermistor, hot end heater. All of which are tied to the large ribbon cable. Instead of using the ribbon cable, I chose to eliminate it and run all new color coded wires with 2 pin connectors at the hot end.
The heat bed: Since the Mini heat bed uses a perf board I chose to connect it exactly like it was before the retro fit. I will not be able to control the temperature but I have never needed that feature before. My heat bed has an off and on switch to turn the heater off and on and that works good for what I print on the Mini.
The Mini heat bed uses a small 10 wire ribbon cable to supply voltage to the heat bed. To handle the current of the heat bed through the tiny ribbon cable, they use 5 of the ribbon wires for positive and 5 of the ribbon wires for negative. The small ribbon cable from the heat bed connects to a small pcb that connects the small 10 wire ribbon cable into another 10 wire cable that goes to the control board. The 10 wire ribbon from the pcb to the control board uses 3 wires for positive and 3 wires for negative. On my Mini it is black-white-gray for positive and green-yellow-orange for negative. None of the other wires (purple, blue, red, brown) are used and are actually not connected by the factory at the small pcb.
Other than labeling the wires, this is as far as I have gotten. I should have pictures soon once I get more done.
I know I will be losing the UP firmware but until they make the replacement parts more affordable, more and more people will be taking this route to get their printers back up and running again.

jeeplvr

Re: Converting Mini to CBD Chitu 3.1 board

Post by jeeplvr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:28 pm

Another issue with the Mini will be bed leveling. Currently there is no solid way to level the bed without the help of the UP software. Things like print calibration will also need to be addressed.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:40 am

The wire tracing and labeling is done.
I am going to use an AXT computer power supply for the 12 volt dc power.
I am wiring the push button on the front of the case to the LED lights and the power switch on the back cover will of course control the board power.
DSC02914.JPG
DSC02914.JPG (248.7 KiB) Viewed 19497 times
DSC02916s.jpg
DSC02916s.jpg (115.67 KiB) Viewed 19497 times

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:26 am

How soon do you expect to have it "up" and running?

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:04 am

Still waiting for the board to come from China. Probably in a week or so.

caesar

Post by caesar » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:26 pm

Since the printer is already deeply into metamorphosis, maybe you would consider doing a hotend mod.
Then you could also print flex filaments and PLA more easy since the heat won't climb from the hotend.

Another thought is about the slicer. Opensource slicers are not bad but also far from perfect at this moment.
For the first time I had excellent supports removal with version 2.2.0 of Simplify3D that came out middle of december.

Fingers crossed and good luck with the project!

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:44 pm

Thanks for the information.
I have already replaced the hot end and extruder a while back but went back to the UP extruder since I could not modify the firmware to dial in the stepper speeds etc. I am considering placing the new extruder in for a test after I get it all up and running. Right now my biggest worry is bed leveling.
It will be nice to have choices with the new board but I will surely miss the detail and support removal that the UP firmware had.

caesar

Post by caesar » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:14 am

After you dial in the best settings let me know to prepare a gcode file for you in Simplify. I hope to amaze you. I get even better quality (on a corexy bowden printer) with the same ease of support removal from it.
I can't see why you shouldn't get at least the same quality as the original up.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with them, I was even mad for throwing my money on their software until version 2.2.0 came out about 1 month ago.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:27 am

I watched some of the YouTube reviews and it looks very similar to repetier in almost every way. It does have more advanced options and the control over the support is nice. The problem people seem to be having is with support and documentation. Also one guy said he bought it to replace the UP software and he said the rafts remove easily but supports are adhered 100% or not at all. This would make it very difficult to remove supports or make it so support isn't enough to get a good print. UP software seems to know just the right amount of support contact and raft contact.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:29 am

Also I just completed a ramps/arduino setup on my Davinci printer and its dialed in quite well. If you want to send a gcode file I could try it on that machine.

caesar

Post by caesar » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:43 am

Sure jeeplvr, why not?

Please PM me all your settings to set up a new profile for your printer and a link to the stl that you would want converted to compare support removal.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:28 am

Caeser, what setting do you need?
Also what would be a good hot end for PLA?

caesar

Post by caesar » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:34 am

Any hotend that doesn't add heat to the extruder stepper is much better for PLA.
I personally had the best experiences with e3d but it will make you loose a lot of height. Look here for a good idea: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:457420 The mod had been posted also on the forums. Maybe ask Drew about this hotend?

About settings, take some printscreens of all the working settings pages in your slicer. I need them all basically.
From printer sizes, nozzle diameter, filament diameter to flowrate, printing speeds and so on...

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:01 pm

jeeplvr wrote:Caeser, what setting do you need?
Also what would be a good hot end for PLA?
Simply any indirectly driven one ie geared (Greg's Extruder, Eckstruder etc etc) will offer the least hassle but you might find you are limited for space. You could consider a bowden extruder where you mount the extruder away from the print head and feed it along a tube. You could even put it on the outside of the mini where the filament guide is usually located on the back.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Update:
I have the board mounted in the chassis and all the stepper connections fit the new board perfectly. Hopefully the rotation is correct.
The firmware for the new board is G-code. I still have to figure out how to modify and flash the firmware to the board.
I powered the board up with an ATX power supply from a computer and it works good. I connected via USB and that works good too.
I just have to figure out the software and things should start to come together.
This board has a touch screen LCD and it works good and is easy to navigate.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:30 am

Seems I have a bad board. The extruder part of it will not work. I connected the extruder motor to the Z axis and it works good so I know the motor is good. I am in contact with the manufacturer so we will see how that goes. I have tried everything concerning software and hardware and nothing makes the extruder go. What it does do is once the command to move the extruder is given the motor locks up and will over heat. Sucks

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:57 pm

I am going to keep everyone up to date on the problem resolution process of the Chitu board since customer service is a part of all of this. So far I am getting the dance around from them by having me check all the brain dead things like the wiring, firmware etc. It is definitely a bad board since nothing remedies the extruder issue. I can put the extruder motor on the Z or X or Y axis and it rotates perfectly but on the extruder connection it freezes and over heats.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:52 am

Been going back and forth all day with this company and they wont admit the board is bad. This is not looking good. They told me they put my firmware on one of their machines and it didn't work therefore it has to be a good board. What kind of BS logic is that? Unless they put it on an UP Mini it surely would not work. I am starting to feel that I have been scammed. Hopefully this will all change by tomorrow.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:26 pm

Sorry to hear, I hope everything works out for you.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:17 pm

We are at 36 emails and as many or more pictures. We are going in circles now and the outcome is getting clearer with every email.
I will play the game until the end but it isn't looking good at this point. I am also convinced that they have no idea how their board works nor do they know how a stepper works and it is possible they just don't care.