Thumbwheel Temp Mod Files

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
roller

Thumbwheel Temp Mod Files

Post by roller » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:44 am

It's been over a year since I made this mod and I still haven't shared the files or explained the design mostly because I haven't had the time to sit down and doc it up in a way that is easy for everybody to understand ... but I'm about to hit a quiter time and so this is to make a start to make sure I get the details of this mod out there for anyone to make.

All info and parts will be under a Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license. I am happy for people to make them and sell them to others but contact me first because I really want people to have access to this mod at a price which is fair i.e. covers your time and expenses if you're making them but doesn't fleece someone who wants one. I'll be posting all the details outside of the forums so they stay online should an admin here take offence.

The case files are already online at thingiverse ... which if your vaguely electrically inclined will actually be the hard part as the thumbwheel just climbs a bank of series resistors.

Here's the case: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:528396 ... more to come.

stormychel

Re: Thumbwheel Temp Mod Files

Post by stormychel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:21 am

Nice, thanks for sharing!
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:43 pm

It has only take me 19 months to get around to documenting how to build a pushwheel/thumbwheel temp mod for everyone. I'm really sorry but I've finally added the instructions to thingiverse for those who don't get how to work out the electronics. Please send me feedback here so I can improve the document to fill the bits people don;t understand. I didn;t go into extreme details explaining to make sure the doc was actually done. Ideally PM me here to so I get an email prompt and know to review suggestions.

The instrucitons are attached as a PDF on the original Thingiverse file listed above.

If you feel this is still all beyond you (it is some fiddly soldering) harass me or stormychel (if he's still doing them) for one. I try to keep the cost minimal but due to our rotten, rip off postal service probably can only serve Australia and NZ at a good price. That's why I asked stormy to churn them out for those of you in Europe. If anyone else wants to make them to help out the community all I ask is you keep them affordable ($30USD or less).

If someone wants to churn them out commercially talk to me first and we'll agree another way you can contribute to the community and future mods.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:32 am

I am still doing them for Europe :) following roller's design. It is indeed some fiddly soldering, but not impossible. I would suggest you get a few of those click wheels, and some extra resistors. If you mess up the first time, the second one will probably be good :)
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:54 am

Or a desoldering tool ... suck the solder off and start again. It is annoyingly fiddly and a good fine tip iron helps.

middelweerd

Post by middelweerd » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:52 am

roller wrote:It has only take me 19 months to get around to documenting how to build a pushwheel/thumbwheel temp mod for everyone. I'm really sorry but I've finally added the instructions to thingiverse for those who don't get how to work out the electronics. Please send me feedback here so I can improve the document to fill the bits people don;t understand. I didn;t go into extreme details explaining to make sure the doc was actually done. Ideally PM me here to so I get an email prompt and know to review suggestions.

The instrucitons are attached as a PDF on the original Thingiverse file listed above.

If you feel this is still all beyond you (it is some fiddly soldering) harass me or stormychel (if he's still doing them) for one. I try to keep the cost minimal but due to our rotten, rip off postal service probably can only serve Australia and NZ at a good price. That's why I asked stormy to churn them out for those of you in Europe. If anyone else wants to make them to help out the community all I ask is you keep them affordable ($30USD or less).

If someone wants to churn them out commercially talk to me first and we'll agree another way you can contribute to the community and future mods.
Hi Roller,

Thanks again for sharing your design.
I've tried to find a way to PM you but couldn't find one. [Edit] I just needed to log in first [Edit] I've bought the parts in sets of ten so I've got 9 sets to spare. I want to make another 9 pushwheel switches so others can enjoy your design. Maybe you know how to contact me via PM to
work out the details?

Thanks
Coen