Up Mini Mainboard Cooler Mod

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
brad72

Up Mini Mainboard Cooler Mod

Post by brad72 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:24 am

I thought I would share this mod and hopefully some of you may find it useful

Given that I am about to mod the perf board to 80ºc and given how warm the cabinet already becomes I thought it would be a good idea to cool the mainboard and CPU to reduce the stress and increase their life. So the mod I have built blows cool air into the case via the rear lower grille, cooling the mainboard and cpu, with the hot air exiting via the upper grille.

The mod consists of 4 parts, 3 internal cowlings and an external fan duct. I designed this mod to be totally tool free and also so that it will not damage the UP mini in any way. The fan duct is fitted with a 12v 40mm axial fan attached by M4 screws. The duct fits over the rear covers lower grille and is secured using some double sided foam tape. The internal components are an upper cowling and a 2 piece side cowling since the up mini can only print 120mm long parts. All 3 parts have 1mm wide x 5mm deep grooves that slide fit over the edges of the mainboard support sheet metal frame and because I made them an interference fit they are nice and secure. The parts also fit into each other also using 2.5mm wide grooves.

Currently the fan powered by an external power supply but I did notice that there is a 5v header on the main board so I might be able to use this to power a 5v fan. The spool holder also needs to be modified so it clears the top of the fan duct but as I waiting on some third party spools to arrive I do not want to mod this until then. the cowlings have cutout to allow the unhindered movement of all the internal wiring.

I will upload the files to thingiverse in the next few days but in the mean time here are some pictures of the mod.

brad72

Re: Up Mini Mainboard Cooler Mod

Post by brad72 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 pm

Meant to say also in the post above that the inner cowlings sit against the rear cover creating a seal of sorts so the cool air being blown in doesn't cool the printing chamber. I am looking at a flexible seal on the side cutout where the table heater and stepper wire loom exits but I still need to find something suitable. Originally I was going to have that wire loom secured statically though a small cutout but the loom travels a good 30mm up/down and I don't want to put unnecessary strain on the components.

Brad

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:19 pm

Nice Work!!

well done....K

GrantWatson

Post by GrantWatson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:48 am

I decided to give Brad72's mainboard cooler mod a run on my UP Mini today, so after finally printing out the parts and installing into the printer, I have the following. Fits like a glove!

Though after installing it in the printer, I was pondering the fan situation. I came across a solution in an old parts box I had lying around. I found a small blower fan from an old motherboard which looked perfect for the job, and for internal installation too. Obviously, there was the question of powering it too, and I found the following upon closer investigation.

There is a spare fan header on the UP Mini mainboard labelled 'Fan6'. I probed this with a multimeter and found it to provide 12vDC from the header. So, I rigged up a temporary power cable from a couple of random things I found in my drawer, and it fired up the fan just fine.

So, I used some double sided tape to attach the fan to the top of the cowling and buttoned it all back up. Here's what it looked like before putting the case back together.

And here's a closeup of the header that I am making use of.

I'll give it a proper test tomorrow, and if the little blower fan I found works well, I might design a modified top piece for the cowl to hold the blower better and improve intake from the top vent.

Any questions, let me know.

GrantWatson

Post by GrantWatson » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:08 pm

So, a couple of days of usage now with the mainboard cooler in place. This works a treat, the back of the unit is appreciably cooler than the rest of the machine, which has to be better for the control electronics in the long term.

Recommended mod, thanks for designing it Brad72!

brad72

Post by brad72 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:17 am

Nice work. Glad it has worked for you and great work finding the fan header. Much easier than an external supply

If anyone wants external fan cowls to suit diferent sized fans I can quickley knock them up in cad an post either here or on thingiverse.