ON / OFF heater switch mod

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
ktronik

ON / OFF heater switch mod

Post by ktronik » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:14 am

Love the finish of PLA, but never used much as seemed hard to remove the support...

playing with PLA on ABS mode seemed to string less, better retraction maybe. and seem to print better a bit over 200 degC, for the plastic I had anyway...

but a 100DegC bed ment for a soggy print....not going hurt to test i thought...so I installed a switch.

test, with NO pre-heat and turn off the bed, after the first layer to pref....

result, cleaner, straighter print, as its not soggy when its getting printed, and the support just 'snaps' off...like when you lower the temp of ABS the removal gets better to a point...seem to work for PLA as well, before the raft was welded to the model, on this test, it came off with a 'click', all in one, even the support inside some upside down lettering...due to the stiffer nature, it seemed to come off just like ABS.

the bed did not have time to heat up much and was cool by the time it laid first layer of model, thus it was not welded on...

PLA has a great gloss, I really like it now...and its a bit easier to work with when bed runs a little cooler...

more testing is needed but a mod worth doing so far...K

BTW: don't do this mod as you could blow stuff UP, unless you know what your doing, if you do then use a 5A switch as there is 2.5A current on the heater element. make sure your wires and switch TOTALLY CLEARS the lower table bar, for all passes of the table. or bad things happen....

roller

Re: ON / OFF heater switch mod

Post by roller » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:44 am

I still prefer a fan ... and for the really low melt point stuff (which is hard to print without an extruder mod anyway) a very thin sheet of corrogated card under the perfboard acts as a brilliant insulator. Normally I prefer a system hack but these are so quick and simple ... plus with PLA I often prefer to print on glass so I still need some heat.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Thanks, ktronik, I've been meaning to add such a switch for a long time, maybe this will get me to actually do it :)

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi, Julia,

Think roller has it for simplicity, big fan a good idea.

but if you don't have one, and got a switch, then this also works....

just make sure it clears and you use temp resistant adhesive..;)

BTW everyone, its a total PITA mod to do, as is any time you remove the table and have to stuff with the little springs.....use a FAN as roller said...;)
Last edited by ktronik on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Maybe I can find the platform heater wires on the motherboard and add a switch down there. The last thing I need is another piece of gear (a fan) adding to the already considerable clutter on my printer bench.

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:19 pm

JuliaDee wrote:Maybe I can find the platform heater wires on the motherboard and add a switch down there. The last thing I need is another piece of gear (a fan) adding to the already considerable clutter on my printer bench.
Cool, let me know what you find, as I had already been there to fix the element its was a quick mod for me to do, but main board mod with switch to case would be better...;)

This is a print I did after the mod...

its only basic PLA, not my nice stuff...I run out of black ABS, but think it my look nicer again with ABS...its a little out of focus near the back, but thats macro for ya...used real 'wood' filament for the wood bit.

0.20 normal PLA black

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:198498

roller

Post by roller » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:50 am

JuliaDee wrote:Maybe I can find the platform heater wires on the motherboard and add a switch down there. The last thing I need is another piece of gear (a fan) adding to the already considerable clutter on my printer bench.
I actually steal the case fans from my reprap - two 120mm fans that attach via magnets - very easy to clip on the to steel cased up. Of course I am also rubbish at getting around to getting mods done for myself so the quick and dirty solution often ends up getting implemented. For example I've been spooling this reprapper style spool from bucket with a bit of smooth rod for months because I haven't gotten around to printing a wider spool holder. I can't have a rack of spools out as I don't use them fast enough and it's too humid here to leave them out.

So anyway, simple and fast is my preference.

Christina

Post by Christina » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:14 pm

roller wrote:I still prefer a fan ... and for the really low melt point stuff (which is hard to print without an extruder mod anyway) a very thin sheet of corrogated card under the perfboard acts as a brilliant insulator. Normally I prefer a system hack but these are so quick and simple ... plus with PLA I often prefer to print on glass so I still need some heat.
I'm gonna try the card trick, thanks!

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Yes, an insulator sounds like a good idea to get an "intermediate" bed temp - I've found that stone-cold is not optimum for a lot of materials that supposedly don't "require" a heated bed. Colorfabb PLA+PHA, for example, lays down a much nicer first layer when the bed is at 40-50C. I think it may help with Ninjaflex as well.

Christina

Post by Christina » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:36 pm

JuliaDee wrote:Yes, an insulator sounds like a good idea to get an "intermediate" bed temp - I've found that stone-cold is not optimum for a lot of materials that supposedly don't "require" a heated bed. Colorfabb PLA+PHA, for example, lays down a much nicer first layer when the bed is at 40-50C. I think it may help with Ninjaflex as well.
Colorfabb is great stuff! I really like the XT! I can't seem to get T-glase to work though & it has nothing to do with the filament size. I'm wanting to try the card trick for the MakerBot PLA I have.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:22 pm

I agree, XT is pretty awesome - absolutely zero warpage in any direction, ridiculously strong, and it in fact does print fine on a stone-cold platform. I can't get it to feed on my Afinia, however - it always jams. It's working now on my Up with Petitclerc feeder. Support is time-consuming to get off; although it does come off cleanly, it breaks into little crumbs instead of popping off in a nice sheet like ABS does

ktronik

Post by ktronik » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:20 pm

I have been letting my bed warm up, and turning off after first layer has been dropped...;)