Up Mini perf board heater mod

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
jeeplvr

Re: Up Mini perf board heater mod

Post by jeeplvr » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:49 pm

For whatever reason they still ended up with an inferior machine and no effort to remedy the situation that we know of. They are also still apparantly selling the Mini in its original configuration.
I also have been thinking that this is why I found this used printer in the first place. The seller disclosed nothing about the inherant problems associated with the Mini.
Thank goodness the majority of these printers are being sold to those that are best suited to fix whatever problems might arise. There is no shortage of problem solvers here. :)

Protonite

Post by Protonite » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:04 am

Just wanted you guys to know that i have found a replacement for the thermostat switch on the heater bed that seems to work. I have ordered mine from Farnell, it's the Airpax 67L080 for the 80°C version. There are some more options on temperatures too if you want to aim higher or lower. Price is about 6$, so thats okay.
They are available from Newark and Digikey too, for about 8$ to 10$ a piece.
The last 3 numbers indicate the switching temperature, as far as i have seen you could go from 40°C up to 130°C in 5°C steps, so that leaves plenty of options (not all distributors have all the options listed).
I have now modified my board with the 80°C version, but have not had time to do some test prints yet to see how it improves abs-warping because i have some problems with the extruder "clicking" and slipping. Guess i have to take it apart and clean the nozzle first before i can report back on the heater bed mod.

marto

Post by marto » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Grant is your modded up still running?

Steve

Guy

Post by Guy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:54 am

I recently modded my Up Mini with the part GrantWatson suggested ($10 AUD from here http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/th ... s/2532745/).

I soldered it on top of the old part, and added a switch so that I could go back to the original if I wanted. There's no issues with clearance, and I used some RTV silicon to mount the switch at the front of the plate where it's easily accessible.

I've run the printer for about 10 hours since installing it. It makes a noticable difference to warping. It doesn't eliminate it, but previous builds that would warp horribly are now printing without issue. I'd be curious to try a variable thermostat, and see how hot I can push it before the 3d printed parts that make up the bed start to get affected. For now though, this mod has solved my problems.
Last edited by Guy on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

roller

Post by roller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:47 am

Nice

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:44 am

I also replaced the temp controller and used a 90c version. Almost eliminated warpage completely except for light warpage on the outer edges when I am printing models that cover the majority of the perf board. :D

clementine

Post by clementine » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:48 am

Just ordered my 67L080. Is it really just a matter of unplugging the old thermistor and putting this one in place?

zli

Post by zli » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:05 am

yes :D
but the board has not enough power to go over 90 degrees, so 80 ist ok.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:00 am

80 is much better than 50. It might also be worth playing with something like adding a spreader plate under the perfboard of aluminium or copper to get more of that heat out to the edges ... or replace the perfboard with kapton covered aluminium plate. Otherwise, just do significant preheating (Plus power users often give the heated bed a lot of extra time after reaching max temp to get the whole plate and the perfboard up to temp.

GrantWatson

Post by GrantWatson » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:33 am

Wow, I haven't checked in for a while!

Good to see some other adventurous Uppers modding their Mini's. And to answer your questions, yes, my Mini is still running strong with the mod in place.

I thought about incorporating a switch and the two thermostats in my mod, but all things considered, the 50C setting was next to useless, so I took the jump and committed to 80C.

And as Guy has observed, the warping isn't completely solved, but it is negligible now for things I have been producing, including full-bed prints that have come out perfectly for the first time since I got the machine.

I have run into issues using a Gekko sheet with the Mini at this temperature now though; it adheres to the sheet awesomely, and releases with ease just as advertised, however the sheet itself develops a nasty ripple through it after only a couple of prints. So I'm back to perfboard for now, but I have been considering getting some Plexiglass to try in the machine to see how that goes. I've heard people using it with good results on the Plus.

Clementine, it really is as simple as unsoldering the old one and soldering in the new one in place. Just be careful not to be too rough when removing it, you might accidentally pull part of the PCB apart. Otherwise, go nuts!

All up, this really simple and cheap mod has made the Mini useful again. I wish Delta Micro would release a revision!

zli

Post by zli » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:31 am

my actual project is convert the mini in an reprap, following this fred:
http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... mps#p27736

but with a few modifications :idea:

I hope it will works at the end of this week ;)

Thermocline

Post by Thermocline » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi Guys

I'm new to the group but have had my Up Mini for a few months.

I had the same problem with curling and lifting off the board. I tried replacing the 50C switch with a 100C one. What I actually did was stick the 100C switch to the underside of the heater panel with silicone and wire it in parallel with the 50C switch. What should have happened is that when the 50C switch opened the 100C switch would still be closed and allow the panel to continue heating. What actually happened is that the panel didn't reach 100C. Using an IR thermometer the highest I could measure was 78C at the rear of the panel. At the front the temp was around 60C. This was after letting the panel reheat for 1 hour, with the doors closed, before doing the measuring.

I tried doing a difficult print, a phone case that has always warped off the board before. It was better in that there was only minimal lifting but one corner, near the front, did lift a few mm.

I'm wondering if there's enough power in the existing heater panel to overcome heat losses and reach 100C. It looks like no matter how long I leave it on the temperature wont go above 80C. I tried shorting out the 50C switch and got the same results. After an hour the temperature of the panel was around 80C. Leaving it longer made no difference at all.

Has anyone had any other results ? Perhaps the UK version is slightly different. Don't know - just asking.

Cheers

Jim

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:02 am

I have an 80c switch in my mini and it hits 80c quickly. It sounds like you have an issue with resistance or low voltage or something.