Up Mini perf board heater mod

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
jeeplvr

Up Mini perf board heater mod

Post by jeeplvr » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:18 am

I am in the process of adding a standalone heater system for the perf board to my UP Mini. The system includes a .007" thick 4" x 6" heater that will be sandwiched between the Mini heater and the perf board. The heater will be controlled with a digital temp controller and a 2 second reacting thermocouple.
What I have done so far:
I installed and tested the heater tonight and found that the heater I got is way to powerful (10 watts per square inch). Also the cheap digital temp controller I bought used a thermistor with a 1 minute delay. I almost burned up the perf board by the time I got it shut off.
I have reordered a weaker heater (5 watts per square inch) and better digital controller and thermocouple. The heater has an adhesive back and fits nicely between the perf board and Mini heater.
The wires of the heater are about 20 gage so they are very small and shouldn't pose a problem.
Here are a couple of pictures of the progress.

jeeplvr

Re: Up Mini perf board heater mod

Post by jeeplvr » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:21 am

Forgot to mention there are actually two heaters one is 4x6 (pictured) and one is 1x5 (still on order). This was the closest to a full coverage I could get.

roller

Post by roller » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:30 am

Perhaps you could put in a thermal mass layer to sink some of that heat and spread it evenly to the perfboard in turn giving your heater circuit time to read and respond. A sheet of glass, a ceramic tile (maybe a little heavy unless its thin), even a sheet of card (mild insulator) and then aluminium (conductor/spreader) could help get your perfboard up to temp evenly without roasting it before the controller cuts off the just.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:42 pm

I think you are right about adding a heat sink. Albeit, the new heaters will heat up slower and I should be able to control the rate of warm up with the new controller. I am adding a .001" thick piece of ridged stainless above and below the new heaters. I will be able to stick the heaters to the stainless instead of the Mini heater so the new heaters will be removable. The new thermocouple has a reaction time of 2 seconds. With this speed the controller max temperature will have to be set a little lower to compensate for the overshoot if there is one.

Oland

Post by Oland » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Interesting, can you tell me where you buy it?

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:28 am

http://www.mcmaster.com
They have almost everything literally. :D

GrantWatson

Post by GrantWatson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:01 am

It might be interesting to see if we can get enough interest to get an order of these made up to fit the print bed exactly.

http://www.bucan.com/Kapton_Heaters-product-20

Oland

Post by Oland » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:45 pm

jeeplvr wrote:http://www.mcmaster.com
They have almost everything literally. :D

thanks for the info

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:00 am

Hi
maybe try this one from QU-BD:
http://store.qu-bd.com/product.php?id_product=62
Regards
Lawrence

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Got the new heaters and controller installed today and everything wired temporarily for testing. I took a series of temperature readings at all the usual 9 points and they look ok. I took two sets of maximum readings, one with no heat sink above the heaters and one with a heat sink above the heaters.
Without heat sink - Controller set to maintain 49-51c
Degrees F
Point #
1-125 2-142 3-135
4-130 5-140 6-135
7-125 8-125 9-121
With heat sink
Point #
1-133 2-135 3-137
4-130 5-135 6-126
7-111 8-120 9-121
The points 7, 8, 9 are with the table forward and somewhat outside of the printer enclosure. I’m using a harbor freight infrared thermometer so the readings may not be super accurate but they are consistent.
The controller, along with the thermocouple, does a great job controlling the heaters. Response is very quick. I will try to finish everything and get some pictures up. The real test will be a successful large print job.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:41 pm

GrantWatson wrote:It might be interesting to see if we can get enough interest to get an order of these made up to fit the print bed exactly.

http://www.bucan.com/Kapton_Heaters-product-20
I saw those heaters and they are the perfect size and inexpensive. If my current project doesn't work out I may try one of those. I wish the website would list how thick they are. Maybe they do and I just didn't see it.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 am

Ok I got the thing done and I am half way through a model that I couldn't even get the raft built without major warping on the ends. I am keeping the controller set to 80c so the board is about 75c and I have "zero warp". I wired the heaters in parallel and they heat up pretty evenly. I used .001" stainless for the heat sink above and below the heaters. Everything slides in and out well with little effort.
The wires are secured in such a way so they don’t bind on anything. I only had to cut off one protruding metal screw so the wires wouldn't catch.
At about 80c the platform calibration was good. Ity didnt change much from before the new heaters. The highest adjustment was .7mm
This isn't the cheapest route by any stretch of the imagination but so far it works really well.
Here are a couple of pictures.

[imghttps://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/8465_4895122988369_173560789_n.jpg][/img]

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:33 am

Just printed a raft nearly the maximun size of the print board with zero warpage. The abs is incredibly hard to get off the board after printing, even in the corners. I am excited to say the least.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:45 am

Here is the printer with the door wide open printing a large model with zero warping.

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:49 pm

I have been printing non stop. The UP Mini is everything I had hoped it would be.........with the heater issue fixed. I'm mass producing here!!! :lol:

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:52 pm

If anyone wants a complete list and a more detailed instruction of what I did to absolutely solve the heater issue with the UP Mini, email me a request. Otherwise I'm off to printing land.
jeeplvr2000@yahoo.com

roller

Post by roller » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:31 am

jeeplvr wrote:I have been printing non stop. The UP Mini is everything I had hoped it would be.........with the heater issue fixed. I'm mass producing here!!! :lol:
Glad you like it - the heater was the issue that caused me to dump the Mini and go for the Plus. If they would just fix that one design flaw!

jeeplvr

Post by jeeplvr » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:33 am

I hear you. They could replace the board with a hotter board and or some software to control it and this would be a great unit. An un-level board can be worked around but the heat issue is a little more complicated. I dont know what the schematics for the Mini look like but a good hacker may be able to hack the electronics with more than a resistor and force the Mini heater board to heat more. It looks like a good heater but I know nothing of the voltages associated with the Mini heater or how it is controlled (i.e. I am not a good hacker).
Im in the process of printing an enclosure for the new heater controller and it takes up the majority of the board and I have no warpage. It's fan-friggin-tastic.

GrantWatson

Post by GrantWatson » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 am

Jeeplvr, awesome to hear that youre having great results with the heater replacement that you've come up with. Looks very promising indeed!

A question though, are you using the OEM filament or a generic alternative? With the genuine filament I get about a 50% hit rate on large models working with a stock setup, but with the generic stuff I have probably closer to a 10% chance of success.

Has this solved warpage on flat surfaces throughout the models?

marto

Post by marto » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 am

You could always just replace the thermal controller underneath the board. It is a 50C unit they sell 70C and 100C ones I think which are exactly the same just different part numbers. Just take out the bed. Unsolder it and add on new one. Much easier than adding all the other gear. You might find though that you need to replace the printed support under the bed as it gets melty.

Are you having any issues with that?

I posted the part number somewhere on the forum. They were about $5.

*Edit* The control of the mini's temp board is done via a all in one D2PAK sized unit which takes power and then regulates the power to the heater, I believe it has a thermistor and control circuitry inside it but it has been a while since I read the data sheet. This means that there is no way this modification can be done in software.

Steve