Gekko print bed add on

Post improvements made for UP, and share ideas.
Lawrence

Re: Gekko print bed add on

Post by Lawrence » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:06 am

Hi
I have previously seen a larger Gekko sheet offered by him on ebay for repraps, with corner holes 209 mm apart.
I suggest sending a private message to forbinone, but I notice he hasen't been on the forum since 3 December.
Otherwise, you may be able to contact him through his ebay email available from
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gekko-Table-for ... 337c8d6aab
Regards
Lawrence

CharlesErnst

Post by CharlesErnst » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:00 pm

good idea... will do

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Lawrence, do you still use the gekko? Mine are not fit for use anymore.
Always breath out on the way UP

Fred

Post by Fred » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:15 pm

I was considering a Gekko until I realised how well a cheap bit of 2mm polycarbonate works. Try it and you won't need anything else.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 pm

Hi
I might try that in the future if I cannot source Gekko sheets, but for now I am still on my first Gekko sheet of the three supplied. With the Gekko I have never had a model lift while printing, and have done more than fifty prints on this sheet. Its starting to look a bit battered about, but still does the job.
Regards
Lawrence

LonV

Post by LonV » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:03 am

Fred, do you do anything to prep the polycarbonate?

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:56 am

LonV wrote:Fred, do you do anything to prep the polycarbonate?
No prep is needed, though a fresh sheet can adhere extremely strongly. Getting a few fingerprints on it might be helpful....

roller

Post by roller » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 am

Getting a few fingerprints on it might be helpful....
That's a nice change from having to keep the fingerprints off.

DytHlt

Post by DytHlt » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:53 am

Yeah..... I cleaned my polycarb sheet with rubbing alcohol. Lets just say that sheet made a nice stand for the model that was printed on it (raftless, 2 mistakes in one I suppose)

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:22 am

Fred wrote:I was considering a Gekko until I realised how well a cheap bit of 2mm polycarbonate works. Try it and you won't need anything else.
Yes Fred it's unbelievable. I'm using PMMA but when I look at the specs of polycarbonate I will give that a try. I made the transfer from Gekko to PMMA in an early UP mini printing stage.
Always breath out on the way UP

jtokash

Post by jtokash » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:26 pm

The Gekko is amazing. The ABS just won't separate until the platform is cool. Wild.

I would rank the things I've tried in this order:

Gekko
Glue stick on Kapton as recommended by ftdesigns (on top of Perfboard, if that's relevant)
Kapton, prepped with acetone before each print
Perfboard
Kapton (without acetone)
Blue tape

I'm sure I've tried a couple of other things over the years, but those are the ones I remember ranked by sticking performance.

Notably, I haven't tried glass or polycarbonate. All of my prints are white ABS purchased from PP3DP on Up! Plus.

LonV

Post by LonV » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:16 am

Is the Gekko bolted down? Waiting for it to cool in between prints might drive me crazy. :P

jtokash

Post by jtokash » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:41 am

Yep, bolted down. But it's pretty quick to unscrew after which it cools really quickly.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:14 am

Hi
I also screw the Gekko sheet on, but only until touch tight to allow for the sheet to expand a little bit while heating. Having the screw only toch tight makes it easy to drop the print bed and unscrew the sheet. By placing the Gekko sheet on a flat cool surface it cools in a couple of minutes, making it easy to remove the model.
You could speed up print turn around by immediately placing an empty Gekko sheet onto the bed then start printing while the other one cools and you remove the model. Unscrewing, removing, placing an empty sheet and screwing it up takes only a couple of minutes (if you don't mind the odd contact with hot screws).
For me, I take my time and reuse the same sheet.
I have never had a model lift while using the Gekko sheets. Although I am still using the first sheet of the three I received, If and when FORBINTEC places the Gekko on ebay again I will purchase a second order so that I have plenty of spare sheets.
Having had regular problems with models lifting prior to purchasing Gekko sheets, I can't imagine printing without the Gekko sheet.The sheets have well and truly paid for themselves in the filament (I only use Up! filament) I no longer waste on failed prints.
Regards
Lawrence

LonV

Post by LonV » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:55 am

Fred, does the polycarbonate flex at all because of the heat while printing?

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:22 am

LonV wrote:Fred, does the polycarbonate flex at all because of the heat while printing?
The 2mm polycarbonate is flexible, but doesn't warp the way plexiglass will. I've also had problem with the Gekko warping. The 100C print bed isn't hot enough to allow the polycarbonate to get a permanent bend, though you may see some flexing as it heats up (bottom heating faster).

LonV

Post by LonV » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:33 am

Cool thanks. I accidentally ordered some very thin pc and it warped like crazy...so I was curious if I got the right size if it would work better. :)

odiegel

Post by odiegel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:26 am

Hi Guys,
I also found that 2mm polycarbonate bent quite a bit in the centre while printing becasue of the heat (or the model pulling it up).
Will be trying out some 3mm adn 5mm PC when I have a chance as, besides the PC beding, it stuck to it really well.
Cheers
Olaf

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:32 am

Hello friends
I have had experience with the PC of 6 mm thick after hearing Odiegel 1) the bed must be well calibrated but I found the best aderencia ABS that never had I liked it, I long ago not use the raft and the test piesas I've done I'm happy .

Lyra

Post by Lyra » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Is there any way to buy these now, or are they off the market? I'm interested in testing them for madeinspace.us. Best,
Lyra