UPStudio G-code Tutorial

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: UPStudio G-code Tutorial

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:44 pm

brunningm wrote:
OwenSparks wrote:Hi, question for TT.

Does the heated bed GCODE work in the UPBOX+?

As far as I'm aware "M190" should wait for bed temperature to reach target temp before continuing, but so far it seems to turn the bed on but then heat up the print nozzle straight away, and then start print when the nozzle is up to temp. I seem to recall similar issues with the original software so wanted to check before I go further. So is this command implemented?

The code seems to turn on the bed just fine, and the target temp seems to be set OK, it just doesn't hold the print until up to temp as it should.

Cheers,

Owen S.
Under the Temp tab in S3D there should be a tick box for 'Wait for Temperature to Stabilise before printing'.

You have to tick it separately for the Nozzle and the Bed.
Howdy, is bed heat up to temp wait working for you?

I've tried letting S3d send the command by itself (after realising the the command should not be in the start up script) and even with the wait box ticked printing starts straight away.

With my cynical head on (sorry TT) I wondered if the FW for this has never worked and this is why we have a "Preheat for 15 mins" option in studio rather than a "Wait For Bed Up To Temp" option ?

Cheers,

Owen S.
Last edited by Owen Sparks aka Marksman on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:46 pm

Raising the "Extrusion Multiplier" from 20 to 23 has resulted in much better top layers; trying 24 now. Seems a big leap from TT's recommendation so will weigh the parts once completed and see if it's masking something else.

Cheers, Owen S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Anyone been brave enough to try this on anything other than an UPBOX+?

Cheers,

Owen S.

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm dying to try this but just haven't had the time, sorry. But I will share my findings as soon I have time. Thanks you guys for sharing your work here, it is really appreciated.

I can share my Cetus S3D settings I had dialed in after measuring a 20 mm cube some time ago, these could also apply to other Up printers. Maybe you can try this if other settings don't work.

Extrusion multiplier 22.0
Retraction distance 30 mm
Retraction speed 175 mm/s
Coasting distance 0.20 mm
Wipe distance 5.0 mm
Default printing speed 70 mm/s
Outline underspeed 60%
Solid infill underspeed 45%
Support structure underspeed 90%
X/Y axis movement speed 120 mm/s
Z axis movement speed 16,7 mm/s

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:53 pm

UP_3DWP wrote:I'm dying to try this but just haven't had the time, sorry. But I will share my findings as soon I have time. Thanks you guys for sharing your work here, it is really appreciated.

I can share my Cetus S3D settings I had dialed in after measuring a 20 mm cube some time ago, these could also apply to other Up printers. Maybe you can try this if other settings don't work.

Extrusion multiplier 22.0
Retraction distance 30 mm
Retraction speed 175 mm/s
Coasting distance 0.20 mm
Wipe distance 5.0 mm
Default printing speed 70 mm/s
Outline underspeed 60%
Solid infill underspeed 45%
Support structure underspeed 90%
X/Y axis movement speed 120 mm/s
Z axis movement speed 16,7 mm/s
Groovy, thanks for jumping in, the more information right now the better. Even screw ups and what not to do are welcome, so anything along the lines of "this worked for me" is awesome.

Thank you!
Owen S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:08 pm

I've had a request from S3D support for more info re the multiple process bug I've experienced so it's good to see they're looking into that.

O.S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:17 am

Warning, please see this thread before making your decision as to wheter you wish to try GCODE on your machine:-

https://www.up3d.com/community/viewtopi ... 326#p49326

Regards,

Owen S.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:06 am

Gcode is starting to feel like too much of a risk on these machines.

It feels like TT gave us the option, so they didn't have to keep listening to us complain about how little their own proprietary software does, but really don't want to support it.

It's been out for a couple of weeks, with plenty of us conversing, but very little comment from TT as to what we can do to improve it.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:57 am

brunningm wrote:Gcode is starting to feel like too much of a risk on these machines.
Yeah, agree there is a risk. I'm still pretty angry with Tiertime but have decided to continue with GCODE on my BOX+, I'm still of the opinion that the benefits outweigh the efforts in spending some time initially to get it working well. If only TT and S3D would talk to each other they could have presented a completed plug n play solution and would have looked more professional. S3D support are helping on my problem (as are a couple of their forum users) so I have some confidence we can crack this. It looks like its the "machine definition" parameters in the profile that are causing the fault with variable processes.
brunningm wrote:It feels like TT gave us the option, so they didn't have to keep listening to us complain about how little their own proprietary software does, but really don't want to support it.
From the evidence we have available to us I'd say you're exactly right. This seems odd though as Joseph seems fully on board with working with users to improve the products. I'm confused. :?
brunningm wrote:It's been out for a couple of weeks, with plenty of us conversing, but very little comment from TT as to what we can do to improve it.
This bit I disagree with. Unless I've missed a post there has been ZERO help form TT after publishing the guide. :D

Keep in touch!

Owen S.

kcarbuncle

Post by kcarbuncle » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:50 pm

OwenSparks wrote:Anyone been brave enough to try this on anything other than an UPBOX+?

Cheers,

Owen S.
As i said, no dice on a non-CPU-upgraded UP Plus 2... Loading G-Code from simplify3D does nothing (no blinking lights on the printer or any activity on the software), then after a while throws up an error (window saying) that the 'gcode has failed to run'. used the 2.0.1.3 beta version in the downloads...

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 pm

OwenSparks wrote:
brunningm wrote:Gcode is starting to feel like too much of a risk on these machines.
Yeah, agree there is a risk. I'm still pretty angry with Tiertime but have decided to continue with GCODE on my BOX+, I'm still of the opinion that the benefits outweigh the efforts in spending some time initially to get it working well. If only TT and S3D would talk to each other they could have presented a completed plug n play solution and would have looked more professional. S3D support are helping on my problem (as are a couple of their forum users) so I have some confidence we can crack this. It looks like its the "machine definition" parameters in the profile that are causing the fault with variable processes.
brunningm wrote:It feels like TT gave us the option, so they didn't have to keep listening to us complain about how little their own proprietary software does, but really don't want to support it.
From the evidence we have available to us I'd say you're exactly right. This seems odd though as Joseph seems fully on board with working with users to improve the products. I'm confused. :?
brunningm wrote:It's been out for a couple of weeks, with plenty of us conversing, but very little comment from TT as to what we can do to improve it.
This bit I disagree with. Unless I've missed a post there has been ZERO help form TT after publishing the guide. :D

Keep in touch!

Owen S.
Sarcasm aside... :P

Most machines on the market use some form of Gcode. Judging from the way UPstudio handles gcode, it's clear that the UPBOX+ used gcode wrapped in a proprietary format. I'm guessing a lot of that proprietary stuff was the information that we have to put in manually now. Origin offsets and the like.

It would be amazing if TT could talk to S3D and have them create a profile that let S3D talk directly to the printer or software, and encapsulate all that information. For example..bed height had a difference of nearly 2 mm on my side. 207.3 works fine in Upstudio, but I have to put 209.2 into the gcode settings....I honestly don't know why.

Honestly...it would be more cost effective for them to use something that is already on the market, with all the features that users are begging for, then to try and recreate lightening in a bottle and build their own software package.

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:10 am

Honestly...it would be more cost effective for them to use something that is already on the market, with all the features that users are begging for, then to try and recreate lightening in a bottle and build their own software package.
Preaching to the choir ;)

But I think Tiertime put so much effort into their software there is some pride in play.

Most of you might not know but 7 years ago PP3DP software and ModelWizard from Tiertime was simply the best FDM type software next to that other seller of closed system ABS 3D printers. Open source did not even come close to this quality and companies even wanted to buy it for their own machines.

Now Tiertime did a complete overhaul of the sofware which I can imagine costs lots of resources, while Simplify3D has steadily been building a large user base and implemented a lot of features Tiertime has had since years. Proper raft removal and support stuctures (dense support) for example. Sadly for some reason these things people are having problems with from machine to material type to software version.

So I hope Tiertime will not drop the ball on this gcode thing and see the great potential it has to let another company develop new things that will also benefit them and their users.

I myself haven't been testing it so much as I don't have lots of time right now and still have a faulty CPU out of warranty from my first try to upload gcode..

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:33 am

Don't get me wrong...the Upstudio software is nice to use. It's simply, and the layout makes sense to me.

The biggest issue is the lack of layer preview. I saw them mention bringing in support preview, but that might be the whole object, and not layer by layer.

I'd love to see different infill types, as well as the ability to choose which layer to stop at (necessary for a proper working vase mode).

Will have to see how it goes in the future...but damn if it isn't one of the best printers I've used (even with some of the issues I've had)

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:19 am

The biggest issue is the lack of layer preview.
That has puzzled me for years, that is the most asked for feature and I have used their ModelWizard software for the Inspire range of printers since about 2011 which has that built in. You can see each layer and support, in 3D and 2D. In those days I sometimes used to slice with ModelWizard for my Up Plus as that was compatible with ModelWizard. But I think they changed that, at least my Up Box doesn't work with MW anymore.

Point is, they just could have enabled that into Up software but chose not to for some reason (maybe to make a difference between professional and desktop printers).

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:32 am

UP_3DWP wrote:
The biggest issue is the lack of layer preview.
That has puzzled me for years, that is the most asked for feature and I have used their ModelWizard software for the Inspire range of printers since about 2011 which has that built in. You can see each layer and support, in 3D and 2D. In those days I sometimes used to slice with ModelWizard for my Up Plus as that was compatible with ModelWizard. But I think they changed that, at least my Up Box doesn't work with MW anymore.

Point is, they just could have enabled that into Up software but chose not to for some reason (maybe to make a difference between professional and desktop printers).
I feel like it's supposed to be the way they signify 'It just prints'. The user doesn't have to worry about it, the software is so good it does it all, and you don't even need to see a preview they're that certain of the fact. This printer is not for tinkerers...it's for people who want to produce stuff, with as little effort as possible.

It's an annoyingly missing feature, as I've had a couple of prints fail due to flimsy support. Nothing says 'I hate you' like a single 2mm line supporting a small feature 200mm off the bed....

Mind you, I've given up on the gcode for a bit...The motor is overheating and causing filament to soften too far up causing jams.

It's to do with retractions and layer changes, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out. And I know it's gcode, because the same file printed fine in Upstudio. It was an 8hr print...gcode barely got 10% in before the system jammed, and upstudio finished it no problems.

Also...CURA is a no go so far....you can't flip the y-axis like you need too so it gets a y-axis movement error when processing the gcode.

I expected so much more from gcode support and am thoroughly disappointed. My 500aud Wanhao uses gcode so much better than this printer that cost 6 times. It also doesn't jam the filament every couple of kilos.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:58 am

kcarbuncle wrote:
OwenSparks wrote:Anyone been brave enough to try this on anything other than an UPBOX+?

Cheers,

Owen S.
As i said, no dice on a non-CPU-upgraded UP Plus 2... Loading G-Code from simplify3D does nothing (no blinking lights on the printer or any activity on the software), then after a while throws up an error (window saying) that the 'gcode has failed to run'. used the 2.0.1.3 beta version in the downloads...
Sorry I must be going blind in my old age, as I missed your post. :oops:

Thanks for the info. Any other Up Plus 2 users out there giving it a go?

Cheers,

Owen S.
Last edited by Owen Sparks aka Marksman on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:27 am

UP_3DWP wrote:
Preaching to the choir ;)

But I think Tiertime put so much effort into their software there is some pride in play.
I agree. If I were TT I'd still do Studio as the "easy to use out of the box software" but I'd partner with S3D such that there was a voucher in the box with the printer for a few % off a purchase of S3D via a redemption code, that in turn paid a small commission back to TT. Everybody wins.

Owen S.

Kai

Post by Kai » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm

brunningm wrote: The biggest issue is the lack of layer preview.
Please see here https://github.com/kscheff/UP3D

I am using S3D to preview the UP printing by doing the following:
- The older UP Software under Windows allows to capture the USB data via FixUp3D DLL
- The output USB capture could be converted to standard G-Code via command line tool convg.exe
- The g-code then could be loaded in S3D and the you get your preview

The convg.exe program is experimental, but in this way you could visually inspect the details how the UP slicers works :)

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:26 am

OK next widgets tested.

This test is for one of the spacers used in this cable spool holder:-
Cable Holder CAD.jpg
Cable Holder CAD.jpg (76.69 KiB) Viewed 11914 times
Comparison between UP Studio (Left) and S3D (Right)
Cable HolderS3D Print.jpg
Cable HolderS3D Print.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 11914 times
S3D has the better raft removal, better support removal, lack of "interesting" shroud around the outside, but Studio produced a stronger part with regards to layer adhesion.

Material is RS ABS-Pro.

I have some more tweaking to do. :D

Cheers,

Owen S.

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:23 pm

I'm finally trying to print gcode, went through all the settings from Tiertime and checked this thread but my Up Box isn't doing anything..

No progress, heating or a sound, nothing.

Could you maybe share your settings or profile here again?