UPStudio G-code Tutorial

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
brunningm

Re: UPStudio G-code Tutorial

Post by brunningm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:14 am

OwenSparks wrote:
brunningm wrote:No Problems.
Hi.

I'm just running a second set of eyes over your profile and believe there is a mix up in "scripts" section.

The contents of your "starting script" is what is in the TT's guide for the "ending script".
The ending script is different too.
S3Dconfig.jpg
Cheers,

Owen S.
THanks for checking. Should note I already solved this. Mustn't have saved it to the profile before exporting.

Probably should avoid using my profile then, as that config was causing the XY to slam into the front of the box and keep trying to go.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:17 am

OwenSparks wrote:Hi folks.

Question on nozzle height config. I've got as far as printing, but only "string" 3mm above the build plate not on it :D

The inbuilt nozzle detection in S3D assumes that we can talk directly to the printer which we can't (yet?). And studio sends the file straight to the printer without the opportunity to add an offset.

Prodding the config all I can see is the option to frig one or other of these settings:-
S3D nozzle Height.jpg
Anyone found a better way?

Cheers,

Owen S.
Haven't found anything better as yet. HOwever, I have noticed that matching my current offset doesn't work - still at least 1mm away from the board when trying to print.

Example: Upstudio has my board height set to 208.2 with no nozzle offest.
S3D I have to put in 209.2 as the Z-Origin offset, otherwise it prints too far away from the board.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:20 am

I'm trying to work out how to successfully end the print without the XY axes hitting the end and trying to keep going...
Hi again :) I had the same experience of the end of print slamming into the stops and grinding :shock:

You've probably beaten me too it but if you change the TT ending script from "G28 X-2 Y2"; home axes"" to "G28 X2 Y-2; home axes" then you shouldn't get the crash.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:26 am

1st decent print.

Note the glorious S3D preview screen in the background!
S3D 1st print small.jpg
S3D 1st print small.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 9697 times
Cheers,

Owen S

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:38 am

OwenSparks wrote:

I'm trying to work out how to successfully end the print without the XY axes hitting the end and trying to keep going...
Hi again :) I had the same experience of the end of print slamming into the stops and grinding :shock:

You've probably beaten me too it but if you change the TT ending script from "G28 X-2 Y2"; home axes"" to "G28 X2 Y-2; home axes" then you shouldn't get the crash.

Cheers,

Owen S.
I was actually content in leaving it out, as long as the bed could be moved from the hot-end.

Now if only I can get it to suspend after a print, I'd be happy =)

Nice print as well. Yay for S3D!!! I hadn't thought about doing the skirt...looks like a good solution for lack of a priming line. Will turn it back on =)

Interesting thing of note as well...ETA for completion.

A model I have at the moment shows 25hrs in UPstudio...7hrs in S3D. I'm gonna start it and see which was closer =)

EDIT: Tried your change...it did move the hotend, but the end stop didn't do anything and it just kept trying to move through it.

Turned the line off again. Hopefully TT are reading this and looking into?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:04 pm

brunningm wrote: Literally in the last 5 minutes. I was actually content in leaving it out, as long as the bed could be moved from the hot-end.
Cool, glad you're sorted.
brunningm wrote: Now if only I can get it to suspend after a print, I'd be happy =)
Hmm, one thing at a time!
brunningm wrote: Nice print as well. Yay for S3D!!! I hadn't thought about doing the skirt...looks like a good solution for lack of a priming line. Will turn it back on =)
Skirt is a nice preview as far as bed leveling goes too!
brunningm wrote: Interesting thing of note as well...ETA for completion.
Ohh, not seen that, where did you see that, in studio?
brunningm wrote: A model I have at the moment shows 25hrs in UPstudio...7hrs in S3D. I'm gonna start it and see which was closer =)
Oh, mine was only 15 min print but they estimated within 30 seconds of each other.

From my sample (of 1 completed print) studio print quality was superior, but that's without tweaking anything thus far...

Next trial for me is variable layer height and variable infill settings. Groovy!

Cheers, Owen S,
Last edited by Owen Sparks aka Marksman on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:06 pm

brunningm wrote:EDIT: Tried your change...it did move the hotend, but the end stop didn't do anything and it just kept trying to move through it.

Damn! China is UTC+08:00 so hopefully we'll have feedback tomorrow.

I'll print again just to make sure mine wasn't a fluke.

O.S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:17 pm

OwenSparks wrote:
brunningm wrote:EDIT: Tried your change...it did move the hotend, but the end stop didn't do anything and it just kept trying to move through it.

O.S.
Just tried another couple of prints and no printer crash at the end. Are you sure the changes "stuck" in the profile?

I have got a problem with variable settings though. The split plane seems to be working off the machine datum (top of the build envelope) not the bed height. That's an S3D problem though so I don't think I can complain to TT! Waiting for posting approval on their forum for that one.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi, question for TT.

Does the heated bed GCODE work in the UPBOX+?

As far as I'm aware "M190" should wait for bed temperature to reach target temp before continuing, but so far it seems to turn the bed on but then heat up the print nozzle straight away, and then start print when the nozzle is up to temp. I seem to recall similar issues with the original software so wanted to check before I go further. So is this command implemented?

The code seems to turn on the bed just fine, and the target temp seems to be set OK, it just doesn't hold the print until up to temp as it should.

Cheers,

Owen S.

kcarbuncle

Post by kcarbuncle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:15 pm

Have not been able to get it to work with my Up Plus 2 at the moment, Takes some time (no indications on the software or printer) then a window with the error: GCODE failed to run....

Does it need the newer Up Chip then? (because i havent upgraded...)

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:56 pm

OwenSparks wrote:Hi, question for TT.

Does the heated bed GCODE work in the UPBOX+?

As far as I'm aware "M190" should wait for bed temperature to reach target temp before continuing, but so far it seems to turn the bed on but then heat up the print nozzle straight away, and then start print when the nozzle is up to temp. I seem to recall similar issues with the original software so wanted to check before I go further. So is this command implemented?

The code seems to turn on the bed just fine, and the target temp seems to be set OK, it just doesn't hold the print until up to temp as it should.

Cheers,

Owen S.
Under the Temp tab in S3D there should be a tick box for 'Wait for Temperature to Stabilise before printing'.

You have to tick it separately for the Nozzle and the Bed.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:58 pm

OwenSparks wrote:
OwenSparks wrote:

O.S.
Just tried another couple of prints and no printer crash at the end. Are you sure the changes "stuck" in the profile?

I have got a problem with variable settings though. The split plane seems to be working off the machine datum (top of the build envelope) not the bed height. That's an S3D problem though so I don't think I can complain to TT! Waiting for posting approval on their forum for that one.

Cheers,

Owen S.
I assume they stuck, as before that, I wasn't moving the nozzle at all, and i TT settings had it moving to the front of the unit, not the back. I think it was the end stop not triggering...might be faulty, but then it works fine during initialisation.

I might try it again after this print...my printer must hate me at the moment =0

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:06 pm

brunningm wrote: Nice print as well. Yay for S3D!!! I hadn't thought about doing the skirt...looks like a good solution for lack of a priming line. Will turn it back on =)
Skirt is a nice preview as far as bed leveling goes too!
Yep, turned it on...though it doesn't seem to stick like the raft does...
brunningm wrote: Interesting thing of note as well...ETA for completion.
Ohh, not seen that, where did you see that, in studio?
Once you've sliced, the top left corner has a window with 'Build Statistics'. Gives some rough estimations on build time and Material Cost. Fun note, if you tell S3D how much your material cost, and it's relative density (0.13 gives similar results to UPstudio) it tells you roughly how much the item cost to print in $/C.
brunningm wrote: A model I have at the moment shows 25hrs in UPstudio...7hrs in S3D. I'm gonna start it and see which was closer =)
Oh, mine was only 15 min print but they estimated within 30 seconds of each other.
This particular model is giving me different times every time I slice it.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:653085

Interestingly, I tried printing that once through UPstudio, and it failed due to it's insistence on putting in support even when that's marked not to be used. IT still puts in support for the first 10 layers I think, and it was breaking trying to remove it.
From my sample (of 1 completed print) studio print quality was superior, but that's without tweaking anything thus far...
Next trial for me is variable layer height and variable infill settings. Groovy!
Yeah..I was thinking of trying to get some sort of 'pseudo-ironing' effect similar to CURA's.

Or get CURA to work...it doesn't have the same sort of configuration abilities that S3D does...I wonder if TT is working on settings..

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:21 am

@ brunningm - Thanks for the replies, I'll digest and try a few more things.

Other folks - Is anyone else experimenting? Looks like 29 people so far have downloaded the guide but only 2 of us are commenting. Keen to hear what folks are thinking / finding out / having issues with...

Cheers,

Owen S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 am

OK next part tested:-
S3dCorner.jpg
S3dCorner.jpg (182.74 KiB) Viewed 9669 times
Print completed:-
S3d Corner Bracket printed.jpg
S3d Corner Bracket printed.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 9669 times
Material is ABS+ extruded at 270 deg C

The good:-
The part has good holes even without any support.
It's pretty damn flat.
Good adhesion of raft to perfboard.
Awesome raft removal from part. (S3D worth the money just for that.)
Dimensions are good.

The bad:-
Plenty of stringing. (I'm yet to play with retraction settings.)
Surprisingly poor top surface. (Looks under-extruded. Not so on 10mm cubes printed yesterday, will play with 20x multiplication and see if that helps.)

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers,

Owen S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:13 am

brunningm wrote:Couple of things I've noted during gcode printing.

1) You don't get an ETA in UPstudio.
2) Upstudio doesn't seem to recognise that the printer is printing, allowing you to 'initialise' and kill the current print (Learned that the hard way)
3) You can't seem to pause a Gcode print via the printer buttons
4) You can't control the print from Upstudio during gcode ie. You can't Pause or Stop the print. The software doesn't appear to recognise that there is a print even happening. The only clue is that the Temperature sensors are on.
5) For anyone with small kids or puppies the door switch is no longer active so caution req'd here.

O.S.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Retraction Distance of 2.5mm eliminated the stringing and gave far less zits on sidewalls.

O.S.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:16 pm

OwenSparks wrote:
brunningm wrote:Couple of things I've noted during gcode printing.

1) You don't get an ETA in UPstudio.
2) Upstudio doesn't seem to recognise that the printer is printing, allowing you to 'initialise' and kill the current print (Learned that the hard way)
3) You can't seem to pause a Gcode print via the printer buttons
4) You can't control the print from Upstudio during gcode ie. You can't Pause or Stop the print. The software doesn't appear to recognise that there is a print even happening. The only clue is that the Temperature sensors are on.
5) For anyone with small kids or puppies the door switch is no longer active so caution req'd here.

O.S.
Yeah I only worked that out recently too...tried to stop a failed print by opening the door.

brunningm

Post by brunningm » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:16 pm

OwenSparks wrote:Retraction Distance of 2.5mm eliminated the stringing and gave far less zits on sidewalls.

O.S.
Interesting...lowering it removed stringing?

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:32 pm

brunningm wrote:
OwenSparks wrote:Retraction Distance of 2.5mm eliminated the stringing and gave far less zits on sidewalls.

O.S.
Interesting...lowering it removed stringing?
Nope, default was 1mm

OS