Support removal

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
steelmans

Support removal

Post by steelmans » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Support removal has got really poor over night since the 1.5 Mac update.

Also can you write the infill percentage next to the picture instead of "big fill" or "slightly less fill" or whatever it says?

iPeel

Re: Support removal

Post by iPeel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:49 pm

That's strange, because on 1.5 OSX it's become much easier for me!

I'm using 3rd party filament, on standard ABS settings with an UP Box CPU upgraded.

3DWP

Post by 3DWP » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:07 pm

On Windows 1.5.0.3 I also get better support/raft removal than previous versions. I did measure X and Y has an offset of 1 percent (too small) but support removal was better..

menno

Post by menno » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Well to be honest I am very very frustrated about this Studio software.I can not remove support material properly with my Up!Box+
I use the Up filament,did a lot of testing with poor results.And what do we get with the new software updates?Yes they added some
quick inserts like a cone,sphere and more of that stuff that we do NOT need.What we need first is a simulator so we can see what happens
before printing.Almost all 3D printing software on the market have this feature.We need more add ons for tweaking support material.
Give the G-code free so we can use Simplify 3D.I am sure Tiertime will sell more printers when it is useable with other slicers.

I believe mechanical the Up Box+ is very good.It is a very sturdy machine and is build like a cnc machine.
Sorry but my opinion is that the software is very poor.

LovelyTwo

Post by LovelyTwo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:16 am

Hi iPeel or UP_3DWP, would you mind check your USB device PID/Product ID for your UP BOX/UP BOX CPU Upgrade.
Check this link for instructions (can be done with just device manger) http://www.the-sz.com/products/usbid/index.php
I'm guessing it will be 0x2780, just a theory, which i'll explain if i'm right.

MakerTree3D

Post by MakerTree3D » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:07 pm

I thought I'd chime in with our results since the newest update as well. We're using UP Studio 1.5.1.1 on Windows machines, but we've got (5) different UP models that we use daily. (We're also a reseller so we've got one of each model: UP Mini, UP Plus2, UP Mini2, UP Box, and UP Box+) The legacy systems each has an upgraded CPU for wifi connectivity. Everything has been going smooth as butter with our daily production through our UP printers until the new 1.5.1.1 version of UP Studio came out.

Now first, everything seemed BETTER with the raft and support removal from the part surfaces. This is when we were printing with the UP Fila PLA all last week.
This week we've had all ABS jobs, and as always we use UP Fila for our jobs, so we were using the UP Fila ABS as always. This is when we now find that the ABS rafts and dense supports are nearly impossible to remove!

Historically, our PLA rafts and supports were a bit tougher to remove than the ABS, mostly due to being a more rigid material, but we always got it off cleanly with our scraper tool and needle nose pliers quickly and efficiently. The update has made PLA raft much easier, but there is a visual difference to the bottom of the part as well. The first layer of the part isn't quite as tight, but it certainly is still better than many other systems for PLA raft removal.
The ABS rafts used to almost rip off cleanly and easily by hand without tools prior to this update. Granted I usually did have to use the scraper still, but the ABS rafts and dense supports were a pleasure to remove before. I've just had to completely throw away several parts this week that we're unable to properly get the ABS rafts and dense supports off from. These are parts we've printed many times before over the past year, and only now do we have this issue after this update.

Keeping in mind we're using multiple UP printers and all exhibit the same result after the UP Studio update. Going to try rolling back to an earlier version to get our UP print results back in order.

I'd also like to add one additional point. Since I know in the past anyway, 0.2mm has not only always provided us with the best quality to print time balance, but it has also exhibited the easiest raft removal over all of our past experiences, as I've read from others on the forum as well. The above experiences are ALL having been with using the same 0.2mm layer heights as we nearly always use. 0.1mm layer heights have always given us issues with removing rafts with the ABS. The results we're now having with the 0.2mm layer height ABS prints, is like that of the 0.1mm layer height ABS prints.
Last edited by MakerTree3D on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 pm

After testing some more the last update that improved the raft removal, i can say the same MakerTree3d.
From what i've seen UP ABS is still hard to remove rafts while PLA is awesome.

I've also tested with third party materials and those also work a lot better to remove rafts than the UP ABS. Seems to have to do also with the 270C the UP ABS prints at.

Faiz5595

Post by Faiz5595 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:51 am

I've decide to give the Up studio a try. It does help prevent the large object that I trying to print from separating from the raft and support but removing the support is almost impossible. It just simply welded together with the support

The filament that I currently using is Magma3D, a local brand and obtainable from http://3dgadgets.my/24-magma-3d-printer-filament

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:54 am

Faiz5595 wrote:I've decide to give the Up studio a try. It does help prevent the large object that I trying to print from separating from the raft and support but removing the support is almost impossible. It just simply welded together with the support

The filament that I currently using is Magma3D, a local brand and obtainable from http://3dgadgets.my/24-magma-3d-printer-filament
Have created a custom material profile for this material?
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

Faiz5595

Post by Faiz5595 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:42 am

wackojacko wrote:Have created a custom material profile for this material?
The material data sheep is as stated below

Heated Bed Temperature 90- 110°C

Printing Temperature 230- 250°C

So, which is the suitable temperature range?

ricks01

Post by ricks01 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Faiz5595 wrote:
wackojacko wrote:Have created a custom material profile for this material?
The material data sheep is as stated below

Heated Bed Temperature 90- 110°C

Printing Temperature 230- 250°C

So, which is the suitable temperature range?

Set the nozzle temp to 230-240 degrees celsius to see if it helps...