UP Studio Roadmap

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Diego.Giovany

UP Studio Roadmap

Post by Diego.Giovany » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi Tiertime,

Can we have a Roadmap and release dates published? So we can manage our hopes...
A changelog is very important too...

Thanks !

Tiertime-Jason

Re: UP Studio Roadmap

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:37 am

I dont think we have a very clear road map for now (except make it ultimately stable) but following things are being discussed internally:
1. simple tools for generating models
2. clould base features, such as notification through app, cloud based print parameters
3. incorporate third party apps
4. how to provide contents

arhi

Post by arhi » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:50 am

don't get me wrong but I doubt any of us really care for any of the features you just mentioned (dunno about noobs maybe they do) .. except if for 3rd party apps you don't publish an open api that any of us can plugin our own code in and if that api gives access to all aspects of the slicer, code generation, code modification etc .. so that we can create our own "preview" app and our own "profile edit" app :)

hoek67

Post by hoek67 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:14 am

arhi wrote:don't get me wrong but I doubt any of us really care for any of the features you just mentioned (dunno about noobs maybe they do) .. except if for 3rd party apps you don't publish an open api that any of us can plugin our own code in and if that api gives access to all aspects of the slicer, code generation, code modification etc .. so that we can create our own "preview" app and our own "profile edit" app :)
:shock: I agree 100%

Please don't model this like MS that tries to make it do everything for everyone.

Needs to be the best at loading, viewing, slicing and printing of existing models.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:50 pm

Hi Jason.

All the following offered as constructive criticism.
Tiertime-Jason wrote:I dont think we have a very clear road map for now (except make it ultimately stable) but following things are being discussed internally:
Tiertime-Jason wrote:1. simple tools for generating models
Please don't waste a second on this. As others have said we want SW to print stuff. Others do design SW and do it well, no need for it here.
Tiertime-Jason wrote:2. clould base features, such as notification through app, cloud based print parameters
Possibly, but getting Studio to work at least as well as 2.17 and having any features that have been remove put back in is wayyyyyyyy more important. Did I mention G-Code yet?

Perhaps use cloud based SW to run studio in a browser so any time anyone runs the SW they're running the most up to date version. Personally I'd be against this (now) as I'd hate to be forced into using the most recent TT SW as it just isn't stable enough yet.

Also upset that to use some features (that are local) the machine will have to be connected to internet and logged in to be enabled. Perhaps if there were an online library of settings then OK, but to use my own personal custom settings, well that's irritating.
Tiertime-Jason wrote:3. incorporate third party apps
Really? Why?
Tiertime-Jason wrote:4. how to provide contents
Again others do this, why dilute limited resources to develop this?

I really feel some focus is needed here.

We've had Studio 0.1, 1.0.0.0, and now 1.0.0.4 all of which are inferior to 2.17 with the exception of temp control.

Sorry but had to be said.

Owen S.

hoek67

Post by hoek67 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Owen S. you hit the nail on the head as I see it, couldn't have said it better myself. Our ultimate aim is the same... for the software to be unequalled in loading, viewing, slicing and printing.

This has to be the core functionality especially when the UP is hardware and software locked. For creating 3D content, there are a zillion apps but for printing to our UP machines... very limited options.

To be honest, the closed hardware and software has become very detrimental to my future decisions to get another UP. Been temped to get an UP BOX because of the larger print volume but decided not to because of the software and hardware being closed source.

Marauderz

Post by Marauderz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:15 am

Just realized why UP Studio wants you to login before you can customize the nozzle temp.

Seems like for user's 'convinience', it'll save the nozzle temp definitions to the cloud and load them so that you'll have them on hand even though you use different PCs to perform printing.

I'll echo the main sentiment that many have presented here.
- While Tiertime wants to integrate in some sort of maker community to make it really really really easy for the novice users...
- The more experienced users are suffering due to the limitations of the software, the unlocking of nozzle temp for example is greatly welcomed by users.
- 3D printing ISN'T for novice users, so many things and variables can go wrong and there's nothing Tiertime can do to hand hold them through it. ie. Nozzle jams, print warps, etc. etc.
- So Tiertime should focus more effort on giving users control of the printer and less on 'community' features, because there's too many of them out there already.