UP Studio V 1.0 update

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Re: UP Studio V 1.0 update

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:26 pm

OwenSparks wrote:I too have noticed poor/inaccurate prints in Studio V1.0 The sides of parts that were pretty flat in 2.18 are now wavy as if the internal structure is influencing the outer shell. :(

I'd go back to 2.18 but that seems to crash a lot and refuses to print many of my STLs. (Up Box and Win7 or Win10, even though the same files print in studio or a different Upbot on Win8.)

A little advice please - What was 2.17 like? Is it worth trying that instead? ...

Cheers,

Owen S
Just in case it's useful to anyone else having problems:-

Studio prints still not great for me and to make it worse I've just had yet another crash with 2.18 trying to print stuff I've already printed once today with 2.18 so have uninstalled 2.18 and installed 2.17 instead...

...the STL's that crashed every time in 2.18 now work fine.

TFFT.

If anyone knows what changed in 2.17 to 2.18 or can point me towards some release notes I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Owen S

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:30 pm

would you share the file, so that we can find out what's wrong?

mrt

Post by mrt » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:31 pm

We went back to 2.15 as this version worked best for our requirements on the UP Box
Michael
3D Printing Solutions
www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:40 pm

Tiertime-Jason wrote:would you share the file, so that we can find out what's wrong?
Was that request for me Jason?

ricks01

Post by ricks01 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:51 pm

OwenSparks wrote:
Tiertime-Jason wrote:would you share the file, so that we can find out what's wrong?

YES

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:58 am

OwenSparks wrote:
Yes, would you? :)

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Jason. Sure, happy to. We're having really bad network problems at the moment but I'll gather some info and get it to you on Monday.

Cheers,

Owen S.

arhi

Post by arhi » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:24 am

lbbetty wrote: Thanks so much for your consistent support and the feedback of the problem.
keep working on the sw, I'll keep testing .. make it open source, I'll even fix some bugs :D
lbbetty wrote: For your problem:
Preheat,it does work. But it will be ended while preheat time reached 15 minutes or the temperature reached the plat setting temperature.
not my experience .. I setup the temps, selected preheat, it immediately started heating the nozzle and started printing when nozzle was up the temp
lbbetty wrote: A user interface for customized the preheat time is on the way.
:)
lbbetty wrote: Raft, UP Studio will print the necessary raft in order to make sure printer job well even that "no raft" has been checked.
the "rotate" function in new interface is bit touchy, looks like my object was rotated by few degrees and that's why the raft was printed .. tried it again and raft was not there (still preheating problem and still hole is smaller then in UP!2.8 - for e.g. I need 12mm hole, the stl is 12.5mm and printed with UP!2.8 I can push the 12mm cylinder into that hole (1cm height box with 12.5mm hole is a test print), with studio I can't push the 12mm cylinder in
OwenSparks wrote:I too have noticed poor/inaccurate prints in Studio V1.0 The sides of parts that were pretty flat in 2.18 are now wavy as if the internal structure is influencing the outer shell. :(
that's the ringing problem I reported too ... it's visible on all speeds :( .. usually it is related to shaking of the printer and is gone on lower speeds but is very dependent on the slicer .. good slicers don't have ringing even on fast speed ... looks like studio needs to solve this somehow

arhi

Post by arhi » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:03 pm

another bug. this stl opens normally with 2.8, with studio it looks like a 1x1mm like the units are wrong :(

p.s. don't you think a .stl should be a valid extension on a 3d printing forum?
Attachments
cable-chain (repaired).zip
ok with 2.8, does not work with studio 1.0
(10.58 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

arhi

Post by arhi » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:00 pm

more bugs, this one is SERIOUS!!!

something is fscked after installing the STUDIO with the whole system ?! now when I start 2.18 and say - preheat for 1h if the machine is freshly powered on - the bed will heat up to 100C and will try to keep those 100C as usual ..

now after I installed studio, used it for few tests, found that chain link that won't import properly, I need to print those chains now to add to my new cnc so I start 2.18 again, and dang first print is preheat goes to 100, but after print the bed is at 50C not 100!! I say preheat it keeps the bed at 50C, not 100C, I let bed cool down completely (28C), I click preheat, it gets the bed at 50C and stays there ?!

so something from the STUDIO (in studio I did setup some custom materials with different bed temp, maybe 50C can't remember will check later on after I finish printing few batches of these links in 2.18) is messing up with the 2.18 .. did the studio put some values into firmware or .. dunno .. but this is not good :(

in order to fully move to STUDIO you would have to
1. make sure you at least add a "minimize" button if you can't make it run in window (who's "brilliant" idea was this anyway?!?!?! to make a "full screen, computer overtaking application" for a process that runs for hours without any user input ?! ... selecting this metro full screen gui was a huuuge mistake)

2. make sure studio can import files at least as good as 2.18 (you have one example of the file not importing properly, I'll attach one more example here in this note of the STL that won't import properly into STUDIO)

3. make sure slicer is at least as good as 2.18 (for now the biggest issue I have is with holes, I was hoping new slicer will handle holes better then 2.18, but you are actually handling then worse :( )

so this is 3 things you have to solve for anyone to consider moving to studio full time .. [1] should be piece of cake (few minutes of work), [2] can be a bit more work but can be really fixed in a week, just go to thingiverse and youmagine (better youmagine, more "unfriendly" models there) and download bunch of stl's and try to import them :D and [3] .. dunno what you changed in your slicing routine at all ..

now some things that are annoying and missing .. not crucial but ..
- autologin, if you want me to login to my account to use studio, and you are already remembering my email and my pass, add a checkbox for "auto login" so I don't have to do it manually every time
- "straighten" button, your "Rotation" is really touchy, please add a "straighten" button that will make bottom face of the object parallel, sitting on the build plate.
- DRO view - display the numeric values of rotation around every axes for the object with absolute values from the import, not the relative ones
- make the app work in window too
- PREVIEW - this is super mega turbo giga important issue that will improve value of the studio by many orders of magnitude!!!!

arhi

Post by arhi » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:02 pm

forgot to upload the object that does not import properly into Studio (this one actually don't load properly into 2.18 too)

these two should mesh together :D (most other slicers import them properly even they are not 100% good stl's as you can see in netfab)

not printed on up!:
schroefmoer_1024.jpg
schroefmoer_1024.jpg (269.84 KiB) Viewed 14278 times
Attachments
DSCN0194.JPG
DSCN0194.JPG (64.53 KiB) Viewed 14278 times
screw.zip
(86.38 KiB) Downloaded 228 times

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:38 am

ricks01 wrote:
OwenSparks wrote:

YES
Hmm post dissapeared and forum back to logging me out every 10 seconds.

Anyway PM sent with link to files 2.18 had a problem with.

Cheers,

OWen S.

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:08 am

Hi Folks,

Thank you for the feedback, we will look into the problems. :x

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:00 am

Thanks Jason.

Any idea when we can expect the next release?

Even if it's not a big step each time if there were a updated version every 2 weeks then that would generate some goodwill and some faith that things are going to get better. :idea: Waiting for something to be released "soon" is a meaningless cop-out, say it'll be on this date, and every 2 weeks after that sets a pretty good tone I think.

It looks like there are more than enough people willing to help with test prints and debugging if you'd let us. 8-)

Better still if you guys could do one release a week alternating between an official release and a beta. Then keep doing this until your SW is better than the competition. (I'd ask that you make it possible to install the released version and the beta at the same time though.)

Throw in the odd discount coupon or free roll of filament occasionally as a thank you and you could have a whole new test & dev department for practically free... :D

Cheers,

Owen S.

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:47 am

Hi Owen,

Thanks so much for the enthusiasm. I passed your suggestions to the development team, they think its possible to have more frequent beta versions, but cannot set a schedule as it is difficult estimate the time needed for a particular function or bug fix.

We really appreciate your help for testing and reporting bugs. Actually we are looking for testers for a new machine, PM me if anyone of you are interested. :twisted:

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:36 am

Tiertime-Jason wrote:Hi Owen,

Thanks so much for the enthusiasm. I passed your suggestions to the development team, they think its possible to have more frequent beta versions, but cannot set a schedule as it is difficult estimate the time needed for a particular function or bug fix.

We really appreciate your help for testing and reporting bugs. Actually we are looking for testers for a new machine, PM me if anyone of you are interested. :twisted:
No worries.

Happy to try to help create a community spirit, and I appreciate the time taken for TT to communicate with us.

It can make the difference between users complaining about a faceless company that does not seem to care verses sending the dev team an order of pizza if they know they're working late to fix a problem for us... :D

BTW is this offer of testing a new machine a trap? I notice you didn't say what type of machine. Perhaps it's a guillotine... :o If it's a printer than I'm in; pm to follow. 8-)

Cheers,

Owen S.

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Tiertime-Jason wrote:Hi Owen,

Tryied to sent some PM, but didn`t work or did it?

Thanks,

AMD-TEC
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

arhi

Post by arhi » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:44 pm

wrt updates .. dude, every single bug they fix they can push an update .. imo just add a minimize button and release 1.1 it's ok .. I need minimize button :D .. we don't mind if you make 5 releases per day, it's way better then no releases for weeks..

as for that printer, dude I'll test anything you send me for free :D, I'll test it good and report you everything about it and even fix some stuff and give you the fixes :D..

now one other hint, related to "software" but not really related to "UP Software / Studio" .. this forum software .. see if you can make it work .. I'm logged in, show that I'm logged in, I click reply it say "register or login", sends me to your home page, then back to forum and then it's "login" .. something in integration of your site and forum is fscked big time and login data gets destroyed ... does not imply stability and professionalism if even the simple thing as a forum login isn't working properly :(

Diego.Giovany

Post by Diego.Giovany » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:24 pm

The minimize button is present since first beta, just move your mouse all the way up and a little bar will show, with the minimize and close button on it...

arhi wrote:wrt updates .. dude, every single bug they fix they can push an update .. imo just add a minimize button and release 1.1 it's ok .. I need minimize button :D .. we don't mind if you make 5 releases per day, it's way better then no releases for weeks..

as for that printer, dude I'll test anything you send me for free :D, I'll test it good and report you everything about it and even fix some stuff and give you the fixes :D..

now one other hint, related to "software" but not really related to "UP Software / Studio" .. this forum software .. see if you can make it work .. I'm logged in, show that I'm logged in, I click reply it say "register or login", sends me to your home page, then back to forum and then it's "login" .. something in integration of your site and forum is fscked big time and login data gets destroyed ... does not imply stability and professionalism if even the simple thing as a forum login isn't working properly :(

Diego.Giovany

Post by Diego.Giovany » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi Janson, the main problem with this version seems to be related to the seam... I will post some pictures, but, in some objects,the perimeter is not closed... it leaves a "open" seam scar...