FEATURE REQUEST - Start of Print - Multiple Choice Worms...

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Owen Sparks aka Marksman

FEATURE REQUEST - Start of Print - Multiple Choice Worms...

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed May 18, 2016 6:30 am

Hi folks.

I don't know about you but for both of our UP Box printers we have to chase the optimal nozzle height. Set the height manually then mess about with adding or subtracting .2 of a mm here or there to get decent prints. Finally all is good and then 2 prints later it moves again. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this.

This is tough for Tiertime as the printer is sold with auto height detect so admitting there is a problem will lose face. However owning a problem and putting in a fix will earn more respect than pretending it doesn't exist.

I'd like to suggest a really simple temporary fix. At the start of a print the machine already extrudes a single line of material in the front left of the bed. How about it extrudes 11 little lines along the front instead? (At 0.1mm increments of head height starting 0.5mm under the current setting and ending 0.5mm above.) After this the software asks the operator to select the "best worm" from a drop down list.

He presto every print executed at the correct nozzle height and some breathing room for the software guys to develop a proper fix.

Any good?

Cheers,

Owen S.

mrt

Re: FEATURE REQUEST - Start of Print - Multiple Choice Worms...

Post by mrt » Wed May 18, 2016 8:01 am

Very interesting Idea
Michael
3D Printing Solutions
www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed May 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Blatantly stolen from old bubble-jet printer setups....

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Wed May 18, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi,

When did you buy the machines?
If you found the platform moves, which way does it move? how much does it move usually?

The very early version of UP software had exactly this function but later removed due to the development of automation.

Owen Sparks aka Marksman

Post by Owen Sparks aka Marksman » Wed May 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi Jason.

Thanks for your post.
Tiertime-Jason wrote:Hi,

When did you buy the machines?
The second printer is only about a month old. SN is 507731. The first printer is approximately 6 months old, I'm afraid it's in another building so I don't have the SN to hand.

Out of the box neither printer would work. In each instance approximately 0.3 mm needed to be subtracted from the automatic height adjust to give raft separation.
Tiertime-Jason wrote:If you found the platform moves, which way does it move? how much does it move usually?
Adjustment drifts both ways. Either parts start getting harder and harder to separate from the raft, or the raft comes away from the perfboard. If caught early enough a tweak of 0.1 to 0.2 mm cures the problem. If not then parts are ruined and hours wasted.
Tiertime-Jason wrote:The very early version of UP software had exactly this function but later removed due to the development of automation.
I don't suppose there's a super secret engineering keyboard shortcut to put the software into development mode that would allow us to turn it back on again?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Owen S.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed May 18, 2016 11:17 pm

I have an Up Plus, several years old and I am running an ancient version 1.18 of software.
I have to say that once set I have never needed to adjust the nozzle/bed height except if I have changed the nozzle.
Is it possibly because I use the original aluminum bed rather than perfboard that seems to have become the recent vogue.
The aluminium bed is solidly bolted down, I use Kapton tape with a very thin smear of MEK/ABS solution which I find works extremely well.

How well is the perfboard attached?
Surely the perfboard will expand/contract during usage, an ideal reason possibly for it to reseat itself variably.

Just an observation.

BTW I also use 2 Duplicator 4 plus printers, both with aluminium plates. They also remain pretty stable with regard to repeatable height, but not quite as well as the Up Plus.

cheers

Peter

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Thu May 19, 2016 1:22 am

Regarding the accuracy issue of auto nozzle height function. In the later batches the nozzle detector is modified to be adjustable
IMG_3161.JPG
IMG_3161.JPG (191.18 KiB) Viewed 6542 times
The marked screw on the nozzle detector can be turned to produce a slight offset if user found a consistence error from the actual value.

The moving platform issues is not very common base on our experience. it could due to a mixture of factors. First of all, make sure do not try to scrap off object directly from the platform. The perf board, like mr6k said, is under stress during printing, especially when printing large objects. So the stress could deform the perf board after a certain peroid of use and contribute to the error.

You can also check whether the 3 spring loaded knobs for mechanical leveling are too loose. tightening the knobs and recalibrate the print bed could also help.
you can also check if the printhead is mounted proper, as it is held by some magnents, so slight movements could occur.

arhi

Post by arhi » Wed May 25, 2016 8:57 pm

is there printable upgrade for up! plus 2 for this "nozzle level with screw" fix?