[BUG] Rafts overlapping

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
marto

[BUG] Rafts overlapping

Post by marto » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:07 am

If you print lots of small objects close to each other. The software overlaps the rafts which it generates instead of printing one big raft.

This causes the overlapping parts to be significantly higher than the center. This should either throw an error or print a single raft for all the items.

This was observed in 1.18.

Steve

Garry

Re: [BUG] Rafts overlapping

Post by Garry » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:17 am

I experimented with exactly this today. The part is a 3mm circle with post on one edge. It seems to be too small for the software because when I first loaded the model it was huge and filled the entire build area. I had to redraw the part with a fake extra piece separated from the real part (because I had no idea how to correctly scale it down to the right size). This extra/added part made the entire assembly a bit larger and it was sized correctly when opened in the software.

When I placed the first part and duplicated it all parts were nice and close together. I ran a print preview and could see overlapping rafts. Wondering what would happen I ran the print. As suspected the rafts printed on top of one another. This was an obvious fail so I aborted the job. It was easy to fix: just hit 'place' and the parts were spaced far enough apart.

I would also like to see an error when rafts overlap or a single raft. It would be nice to print the tiny parts close together on a single raft to save filament and wear and tear on the machine.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:39 am

You do understand there is a "merge" under "edit" that will allow you to place all objects close together on one raft, if you are still using raft, I quit doing that over a year ago. :shock:
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

Garry

Post by Garry » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:04 pm

I didn't know about there merge (still new to the UP!) - thanks. It works well. For anyone who wants to see here's what merge does:
http://screencast.com/t/mxgLG5Xcu

I printed this on a polycarbonate plate. Initially I tried without raft for these little parts but the first layer was a circle and it did not adhere mostly. Seemed the nozzle was too high off the plate and the ABS was spewing out into thin air (over exaggeration - wasn't quite that bad). Will check nozzle tolerance with a thickness gauge (just received in the mail yesterday from eBay and I would have checked already but my disability means I need help with this so I have to wait). It is set now using a business card thickness and works fine for larger parts. I suspect I need to close the gap a bit and then hope to print these without a raft.

Garry

Post by Garry » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:22 am

Just want to follow up.

After spending the morning and afternoon at the mall with my wife running up the tally on our credit card my daughter grudgingly helped me with the printer. First we made Drew's thermal paste mod and then his rubber spacer mod (used the red rubber washers another member recomended). Then we leveled the platform minus the polycarb sheet at 1mm using the feeler gauge. And then when level added the polycarb sheet and set the nozzle to .2mm snug. Ran the same little parts without raft and worked like a charm. Stuck just fine. I think .2mm is a bit tight because the first row was a bit too flat so will lift the nozzle and run it again.

The UP! rules.

marto

Post by marto » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:19 am

Thanks for the merge trick. Works well.

However I still think this counts as a bug and could be relatively easily fixed.

@Drew not really possible to go raftless on mini. Bed doesn't get hot enough but perfboard works fine.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 am

marto wrote:@Drew not really possible to go raftless on mini. Bed doesn't get hot enough but perfboard works fine.
Sorry, but any advice I give is only for the "UP Plus" I do not do "Mini" ;)
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

marto

Post by marto » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:49 am

Its not the size that matters its how you use it.

:P :P