[FEATURE REQUEST] Temperature control

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
KCSteve

[FEATURE REQUEST] Temperature control

Post by KCSteve » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:06 pm

Yes, I know this is a popular request but hear me out.

I think this is the time for us to get it for two reasons:

1) UP! really needs this feature to stay competitive - especially for the Mini. Being able to use whatever filament you can get ahold of is a competitive advantage that can keep the Mini selling well for some time to come. And let's face it, a unit that's through development like the Mini is much higher profit than the newest, still being tweaked model.

2) I don't know if they realize it, but I think they already have implemented temperature control. Let me explain:
When they added support for PLA they made the system take the temperature setpoint as a variable. This is the core of what we want.
All they should have to do (and I could be wrong) is change the New Spool dialog from:
ABS
PLA

to
260 - ABS
210 - PLA

and everybody wins. We, the users, get what we've long wanted. They get increased sales.

What do you think? is there a chance of getting this or should I break down and buy a temp controller?
Enjoy!

KCSteve :->

scubamatt41

Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Temperature control

Post by scubamatt41 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:47 am

+1 for initiative and the idea that the solution could be so simple.
-1 for the fact that pp3dp wants to protect against 3rd party filament. I mean if not, we the users would have had temp control already.

So the total is zero. Don't hold your breath ;)
Always breath out on the way UP

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:09 am

Well you can add another +1 because there are many easy ways to get control of temperature by adding a hardware mod. At this point we don't really need software control, although it would be a bit easier and a bit more precise.
Up! Plus

KCSteve

Post by KCSteve » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:55 pm

Having done embedded systems years ago I learned the slightly disturbing (from a programmer's perspective) mantra "Software is free."
While initially it served them well to make it better to buy their filament now that the market is growing I think they're better served by opening things up.

The hardware fix isn't terribly expensive - be even cheaper if they did it, but as I learned so long ago when it comes to embedded systems a five-cent hardware fix is more expensive than two weeks of programming. That's because that nickel is added to every unit produced and the cost of the two week's programming is divided by the number of units produced.

I'm betting that in the initial printer software the temperature setpoint was a constant. When they added PLA support they either went to everywhere the temperature setpoint is referenced and put in an 'if / else' construct or they made the setpoint a system variable. I know which way I would of have done it. ;)
Since it is now a variable all they have to do is give us more options on what to set it to.

Like I said, flexibility is a key selling point and while the UP! Plus 2 can sell on it's nifty newness the Mini, at least, needs to start adding on other sorts of inducements. Giving us built-in temp control should bump sales of all of the units enough to notice.

Hopefully we'll get an official response as to whether or not I'm right in my guess as to how they could do this. Even more hopefully, we'll get a 2.13 with it in it. :lol:
Enjoy!

KCSteve :->

D3rax

Post by D3rax » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:38 am

Unfortunatly, as far as I know, we haven't had any official responses on this forum yet.......... :roll:.
Up! Plus

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:14 pm

I don't think they respond to any requests.

Fred

Post by Fred » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:51 pm

Of course it would be reasonably easy to add this feature. The fact that they haven't indicates to me that Afinia have decided they don't want to. I assume they have done the calculations and decided that the ongoing income from keeping (most) users on their filament is more than the one-off income from selling a printer.

roller

Post by roller » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:13 am

The temps are set to suit OEM filament ... you know make money on the ink/toner, give away the printer model of sale. So what you are asking is for them to change their profit model. This is why this has been the most asked for thing over the last 3 years and there is no movement... at all. Doubtful there ever will be so give it up and go buy a temp mod for yourself.

Oh and FYI, the temp is set in software - it would be pretty trivial to be able to set it to different values and there is a software "hack" to manipulate print jobs to do just that. Generally far more painful than a hardware hack though.

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Roller, but there are not a range of materials and size of 700 gr. is very small, so I do not understand these printer manufacturers, I nave not been able to understand .

Jose

lgh99

Post by lgh99 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:39 pm

Why Imposed software limitation on an the hardware that could do a lot more?

PP3DP should learn the lesson from Ultimaker, why is it so popular? It is definitely not the price! It is popular because it is Open Source.

I bough Up! printer mostly because it is well design hardware and fully aware that it uses proprietary close source software. Here is the reason why my next 3d printer won't be from pp3dp

1) NO TEMPERATURE SETTING Filament, as most of us know, temperature is the most crucial element of the successful quality print, Filament has wide range of optinum Temperature setting and it is vary from geographic location, I don't mind to pay a little more to buy pp3dp filament, but the shipping cost is excessively high, I prefer to buy it locally for convenience and lower price and more selection.

2) Artificial Software limitation to cripple the Printer: Before the Version 2 the resolution is 0.20mm, now with 2.12 all sudden you could do print it with 0.15mm with no hardware modification! Open these artificial limitations, and the users experiment with it and decide whether to use it or not!

3) PP3DP is fully aware that most of us is BEGGING for Temperature setting in the software, but they choose to not respond! Isn't it better to have software control than HARDWARE MOD with Resistor, Cutting Wire or spending extra money for Octave Resistor Box??????? Look around in this forum, the majority of the posting referred or related to TEMPERATURE MOD!

woofy

Post by woofy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:05 am

As much as we would like temperature control, its not going to happen.
They have said so on these forums:
We are very well aware of many issues that this forum has been constantly complaining about. Some of them we chose not to follow, for example, temperature control.
UP plus, Ultimaker2 & Raise N2+ Printers.

caesar

Post by caesar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 pm

lgh99 wrote:[...] Before the Version 2 the resolution is 0.20mm, now with 2.12 all sudden you could do print it with 0.15mm [...]
Are you talking about the mini or the regular UP?
For me, the mini still prints 0.2mm lowest layer height in v2.12.

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:17 am

following are personal comments, not representing Tiertime:

I am totally ok with the idea of have a Reprap ;) . I personally build several Repraps myself, including an Ultimaker. It is great for hacking, experimenting and learning. I would gladly print some causal projects using a Reprap. However if I am trying to print a lot of stuff for work or something with complicated structures, I still go back to my UP printers.

UP is UP because its limitation, it will not follow Reprap's path. It airdrops you to a safety zone that you know it will work.

Well for a Reprap, if you get a reprap, you will soon realize that in order to get consistent good prints, you need to stick to a particular printing profile and you will eventually found your safety zone of your Reprap. You may found that in order to obtain the comparable print quality of an UP you need to restrict yourselves using a particular filament with a particular printing temperature with a particular slicing profile. After all the time you spend on get the right parameters you may realize that the "safety zone" is actually smaller than what you get from an UP. If you are looking for the freedom to get a worse print, you will get it, but you may realize that your freedom for a good print may be less.

People are making all these irresponsible claims like resolution down to 0.04mm for FDM, printing speed up too several hundred mm/s, compatibility to many materials. However in the end the print sucks and they just told you they could not promise print quality, consistency and practicability.

Oral

Post by Oral » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:06 am

roller wrote:The temps are set to suit OEM filament ... you know make money on the ink/toner, give away the printer model of sale. So what you are asking is for them to change their profit model. This is why this has been the most asked for thing over the last 3 years and there is no movement... at all. Doubtful there ever will be so give it up and go buy a temp mod for yourself.

Oh and FYI, the temp is set in software - it would be pretty trivial to be able to set it to different values and there is a software "hack" to manipulate print jobs to do just that. Generally far more painful than a hardware hack though.
Hi Roller,

Do i have a chance to get one more temperature mod for my Up Plus 2 ?

Please reply my email i think there is an error on this forum , because i cannot send private messages,

oraltosun@gmail.com

Thank you,
Oral

bitflusher

Post by bitflusher » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:11 am

I would like a temp control feature as well...