Raft separation

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Astro

Raft separation

Post by Astro » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi All,
Is it just me or is the raft a little difficult to remove in the latest version of software?

Trent

lukeott

Re: Raft separation

Post by lukeott » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:55 am

I agree. I now keep the wind barrier open (never did before) and that seems to make the raft as easy to remove as on previous s/w versions.

J_Man

Post by J_Man » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:12 am

YES! I am having this issue and thought the printer was messing up. It's like it prints the first layer way too lumpy, then the extruder drags across the lumpy surface causing problems. Due to the uneven surface and inability to properly print, THAT seems to be why the raft is sticking to the print. It doesn't seem to have the ability to properly create the separation surface that it was printing.

KCSteve

Post by KCSteve » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:20 pm

I have two solutions to this problem:

1) The unsubtle one I tried first: put a small riser under your object. I used a cube to make it easy to keep the actual model flat to the platform. The .25" cube added to the bottom forced the real model up and got the printer to print easily removed support material under it. Only use this method if the next one fails.

2) The real fix. Check your nozzle height. I thought mine was right at the factory setting because it was printing fine, I just was nearly unable to get the raft off. After reading here I found out the trick to setting your height and came up with a good test (since they took it out of the software). For your test object download the Universal Washer from Octave. It's on this page - http://www.octave.com/3D-Printer-STL-Fi ... pages.html
The washer takes less than 2 grams of material and in Fast mode it prints in about 5 minutes.

For those who haven't found the other threads, here's how to set your nozzle height.
1) Fold a sheet of paper in half for a separation gauge.
2) Open the Print dialog and note your current nozzle height.
3) Go the Maintainence dialog and set your platform to a few millimeters less than your current nozzle height. Eyeball it and see if it looks about right.
4) Sneak up toward your current nozzle height setting until it looks pretty close.
5) As you get close, start using the folded piece of paper to see how much room there is. When you're at the right point it should just go between the nozzle and the perfboard. This is your new (test) nozzle height.
6) Set your new nozzle height and print the test washer. I do it on Fast.

If things are right your raft should be well stuck down and the washer should pop right off. The washer's a bit of a fragile thing so it's a good test as to whether or not you're getting good separation. As an additional check, look at the 'smear' the printer puts down to wipe the nozzle and compare it to the example in the manual from the old nozzle height test.

Hope this helps someone!

KCSteve :->
Enjoy!

KCSteve :->