New Software (2.1)

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
pp3dp.nl

New Software (2.1)

Post by pp3dp.nl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:13 pm

- Edit: in the support section you can find the new version of the Up Software, version 2.11! -

I guess PP3DP will come soon with the update but on the Afinia website you can find the latest software update, version 2.1.

The first thing I always do is try PLA in the hope the settings (like retraction rate) are back to when they were in the old software version 1.15 -----> They are!

So far I have tried different PLA's, woodfill (ColorFabb) and a new type of rubber (I guess same as flex PLA's) and the results are AWESOME! No stringing, excellent support removal and good looking models on PLA settings. I prefer this because a mod does not lower the table heating and then PLA will just get stuck on the support.

So finally I can leave the old 1.15 behind and use all the newer features for PLA. Can someone test the Mac version and hopefully confirm that works also?
Last edited by pp3dp.nl on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

pp3dp.nl

Re: New Software (2.1)

Post by pp3dp.nl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:28 pm

New Mac version is coming soon so I guess 2.0.2 (Afinia) or 2.0.4 (PP3DP) is older?

For Afinia 2.1 Windows the only difference I noticed (apart from PLA settings) is that table and nozzle temperature are now shown in the Main window.

And the USB connection is gone after a while, don't know if that is intentional but not really a problem yet. I am using an Up Plus with Afinia software by the way.

caesar

Post by caesar » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks pp3dp.nl!

I tried it now on the UP! mini and it works, will try some PLA next.

roller

Post by roller » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:14 am

Feature wise the Mac version is often 2 or more versions behind depending on the features you are looking for - we are still waiting to get the print remaining time in the display for example. There's a few features we've never seen in the Mac version - I've just blocked them from my mind right now to avoid constant feelings of jealousy and of being neglected :p

Of course I don't see any of these updates doing anything to fix the fact most users Ups get way too warm around the extruder too quickly to use most standard PLAs anyway. None of the "PLAs" I can use reliably have a melting point under 200C so the PLA setting is useless anyway.

caesar

Post by caesar » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:52 pm

Done some testing on Up mini, Afinia 2.1 software, common PLA but with good roundness and good diameter.
Excellent prints.
I just opened both doors to the enclosure and mounted a 12cm silent fan over the top to cool the extruder's stepper.

(my previous message in this topic is still not approved while writing this one but thanks again pp3dp.nl for pointing out the new software!)

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:10 pm

Cool, so the new version also works on the Up Mini. I printed some rubber like material and the support was far less fused to the bottom of the model. I really like the new software, ABS still prints great too.

And everybody should try the Woodfill from ColorFabb on PLA settings - it's awesome!

amd-tec

Post by amd-tec » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:43 pm

pp3dp.nl wrote:Cool, so the new version also works on the Up Mini. I printed some rubber like material and the support was far less fused to the bottom of the model. I really like the new software, ABS still prints great too.

And everybody should try the Woodfill from ColorFabb on PLA settings - it's awesome!
So just choose pla-material and hit the print button.
No needs to use temp lowering switch or other tricks anymore?
If so, it sounds good! Thanks for the tip.
"3D design with intelligent printing"
http://www.amd-tec.com

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:42 am

That's right so far no modding needed (which I prefer).

PP3DP has the new version, too. In the support section you can now find Up Software version 2.11. Haven't tried yet but I will install the new version right away. The info even states ''Software Release for PLA support.'' :D

Thanks PP3DP!

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:13 am

@ pp3dp.nl

Is a XY and/or platform calibrate needed after update?

cheers
Always breath out on the way UP

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:44 am

Oh I don't know, I don't think the material would change that calibration. I use my calibration data that I measured from an ABS print and so far everything is looking great. Did I mention support release is awesome?

By the way, I see now PP3DP is selling PLA too in some nice new colors! Look in the shop, also on the main page.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:07 am

pp3dp.nl wrote:Oh I don't know, I don't think the material would change that calibration. I use my calibration data that I measured from an ABS print and so far everything is looking great.
I think you refer to PLA. My concern was need to calibrate after install of the v2.11 ;) Bedankt i.i.g.

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:22 am

Aha dat bedoel je :)

No I believe when an Up isn't disconnected from the power too long all data will be saved. I use different Up's and laptops and height, material and calibration data is saved on the machine. Only sometimes calibration settings are lost so I always check before an important print.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:38 am

Is it just me or does anybody else notice that the fill is tighter as in "tight as a tiger" :) I mean it as a positive. It used to be sloppy on 75% fill setting @ 0.25 layer thickness
I'm actually starting to like this little machine again

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Yes I could be wrong but I printed a thin walled model and it seemed to look far better than before. The walls of the model looked more rigid/fused together. But it could be just because it's a new version and that works like a placebo :)

Billzilla

Post by Billzilla » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:40 pm

Anyone used the platform height sensor gadget yet?

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:58 am

Not only is the print quality much better with this update but it is also much easier to remove rafts and support material.

ming

Post by ming » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Im getting "printer Disconnected" on every print while the printer is printing while im working on the same laptop for the next model (without closing the v2.1 sw). Anyone of you guys getting this ? do i need to reinstall my v2.1 ?

p.s. Afinia V2.1 (not v2.11)
Dream@night / Holdit@sameday

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:21 pm

ming wrote:Im getting "printer Disconnected" on every print while the printer is printing while im working on the same laptop for the next model (without closing the v2.1 sw). Anyone of you guys getting this ? do i need to reinstall my v2.1 ?

p.s. Afinia V2.1 (not v2.11)
It could be that you need to reinstall the drivers under windows. At my local FabLab I needed to reinstall the drivers after upgrade from v2.0 to v2.11 and it was with a UP 1.
The upgrade on my UP mini at home went smooth. Make sure you rename the old UP folder so there is no link to it than install the v2.11 to a new fresh UP folder. It is true as said by others that the calibration files are stored on the printer so no real need to recalibrate

GritCorp

Post by GritCorp » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:20 pm

Hi,

I am having the same issue, after updating my UP! software to version 2.11 my Up Plus 2 looses USB connection. This happens randomly.

Besides the USB issue i am also unable to update the ROM to the latest version "UP Plus 2(H) V6.09.ROM" the error i´m getting is "The ROM file can't be used by the printer!".

My current setup is UP! 2.11 software with, ROM V6.080 and Firmware V3.06.

Thank you for any advice on how to solve these issues.

pilotltd

Re: New Software (2.1) [BUG]

Post by pilotltd » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:34 am

GritCorp wrote:Hi,

I am having the same issue, after updating my UP! software to version 2.11 my Up Plus 2 looses USB connection. This happens randomly.

Besides the USB issue i am also unable to update the ROM to the latest version "UP Plus 2(H) V6.09.ROM" the error i´m getting is "The ROM file can't be used by the printer!".

My current setup is UP! 2.11 software with, ROM V6.080 and Firmware V3.06.

Thank you for any advice on how to solve these issues.
I've not had the disconnect problem but I am unable to update rom either - same error

Steve