Nasty things in 1.4 for Mac

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
roller

Nasty things in 1.4 for Mac

Post by roller » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:46 am

It seems the newest software for Mac installer either creates a user called Test (or incorrectly selects the on user on your system - as Test accounts come and go for me all the time as part of my work) and creates a folder (UP3) in your the root of your drive with exclusive permissions to that user (in my case Test). Someone from PP3dP want to explain/take a look at this - that is very non kosher behavior for a Mac installer.

I need the account and folder to be removed - is this going to break the version 1.4 software? I suggest we go back to just the binary package if this is the kind of weird stuff the installer is going to pull!

(Update)I couldn't wait because this folder I didn't have permission to (even as root) was breaking a VM migration I was running and I need to get it rolled through to do some testing for a client. Anyway, so after chowning it the UP3 folder contains the spare parts folder. This is really weird behavior - I suspect something broken in the installer that someone need to look at.

pleppik

Re: Nasty things in 1.4 for Mac

Post by pleppik » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:23 pm

The folder was created on my Mac, too, but I was the owner not a "test" account.

I agree this is ill-behaved for a Mac installer. I doubt it's creating a new user, though. Probably just hard-coded a UID (which is also really bad behavior).

The proper behavior is to install the software and all related files in a single folder, preferable under Applications by default. There is no reason these files, which are just STLs for the printer parts, should go anywhere else.

I suspect whoever wrote the installer forgot a tilde or something in the pathname.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:57 am

Yeah, I suspect the test account was already there - I use it in some of my scripting and don't always clean it up after - strange they wouldn't pick up the current user. I wonder if we will see a fix anytime soon.

marto

Post by marto » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 am

To avoid this I just manually extracted the archive and dragged it into my applications folder.

If its causing issues I would suggest doing this. There is two packages inside the higher level package, up and example, the Up one contains the software and example the other files. Just extract them and the payload, which is the files.

Steve

roller

Post by roller » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:36 am

marto wrote:To avoid this I just manually extracted the archive and dragged it into my applications folder.

If its causing issues I would suggest doing this. There is two packages inside the higher level package, up and example, the Up one contains the software and example the other files. Just extract them and the payload, which is the files.

Steve
I was going to manually unpack it when I got it but I was being lazy. I generally prefer to do manual package installs but I guess I expected this simple software to be fairly innocuous. I wonder why they bothered.

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:02 am

1.4 Mac is the same software , but don't work at 100% , I prefer work in Windows platform . But the quality of the Mac is a 30% better than the Windows .
My intalacion has not had problems, but it takes work performance.

I used the last Mac OS version and the last IMac whit 16 Gb of ram .