TOTAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL [FEATURE REQUEST]

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
josejuako

TOTAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL [FEATURE REQUEST]

Post by josejuako » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:02 pm

We need total temperature control to do better prints .

Last edited by josejuako on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

josejuako

Re: TOTAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL

Post by josejuako » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:33 am

Do not believe what the temperature is somewhat vague, I am the first who bought UP , two years ago .
We need total temperature control to do better prints .

albill

Post by albill » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:48 am

Actually, we really do need this.

With lots of different ABS and PLA from various sources, you need to be able to print at slightly different temperatures, sometimes even within the print. With the open source printing software, this is trivial to do.

This is the #1 reason why I might just sell my Up! Plus and go with something open source.

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:37 pm

albill wrote:Actually, we really do need this.

With lots of different ABS and PLA from various sources, you need to be able to print at slightly different temperatures, sometimes even within the print. With the open source printing software, this is trivial to do.

This is the #1 reason why I might just sell my Up! Plus and go with something open source.

norman_h wrote:Is it possible to have the temperature displayed on the status bar.

Thank you.

Control is needed to make different parts in different materials and they can be doing well .

José

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi,

Add [FEATURE REQUEST] to the topic title and it might get noticed by the developers :roll:

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:36 am

How could anyone NOT notice it. It's all over the forum.

marto

Re: TOTAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL [FEATURE REQUEST]

Post by marto » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am

Probably not going to happen. As long as they bring out a PLA filament which works as well as the ABS one then I am happy enough without temp control.

There is two reasons why I don't think this will every happen. Firstly the obvious one is it locks you into using their filament.

The second less obvious one is that it is not a good idea to give too much control to the end users. It increases the difficulty for new people to get started, as there is more variables which they need to change to get a good print. This causes more complaints about it just not working out of the box, which leads to more customer support which drags down customer opinion.

The market they are aiming for is people who want something which works out of the box. Not really your tweakers and hackers, that is what the repraps are there for. And while it could be hidden in some advanced menu, we all know that we may consider ourselves advanced at times when we probably should not.

Just my opinion and while it would be nice option to have and there is no reason why it couldn't be added but I really see no reason why they would finally do it after all this time.

Steve

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 pm

I doubt there are many, if any out there, that at this stage of 3D printing believe a 100% out of the box printer, these are the early days where experimentation by the many will eek out what works best. I agree any temperature variable control should be buried as an advanced mode, but it is naive of the manufacture to ignore the requests for this feature. I wonder, how many have been put off buying the UP because of reports that it only works well with their own, somewhat more expensive filament. I for one find it works well with a variety of filament, but I am using it in a controlled dry (low humidity environment) and could not recommend it to anyone wishing to try a variety of filament types. To not offer a variable temperature feature is like a car manufacturer fitting a speed governor to limit the car well below its capabilities. Experimentation by early adopters usually determines the path of a products progress.

Happy New Year

Peter

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:33 pm

My experience has been to seek to speed and temperature management in print, took two years to do so, but I also like to know they do or how they behave other filaments, all are good, for some uses and other materials such as polycarbonate, nylon. ABS and PLA. What we do know is that the shape is controlled by software, but not the quality of the laminate and this should be done with controlled temperature. And look the material price and I know the control is good to us . UP say mini factory , if is this , we need TC .

josejuako wrote:Here are all info

http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/

Filaments Suppliers and Machines

marto

Post by marto » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:38 pm

I wonder where the temp value is stored. They obviously have to send it somewhere to switch between PLA and ABS. Could prolly reverse engineer the protocol.

I worked out the layer number in status message a while back from raw USB data but didn't pursue it any further. Maybe we could intercept the sliced data then modify the temp message.

Steve

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:15 pm

HERE ARE ALL THAT IS NEEDED scholars see a function and make it one HISTORY

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 pm

Is also important to have a window to display the degree heat and not percentages this hidden like this in today , bed and head . This is the control know all about the machine , not only supposition. And a table as a guide to the new and old users.

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 pm

If the machine is as they say it is a machine for software professionals should be commensurate with the publicity, and I want a real machine and not an artifact like Reprap toy. Let's see if you really can or not.

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:32 am

Hi Jose,

I think everyone has heard you and I agree with you but we must be realistic, Delta Micro is a business and they are in the business of making a living too, I can understand why they do not give us every demand we ask for as it would hurt their business model, but they do try to give us what they can and I'm sure we can appreciate their position if we just give it a moment to see this from their side of things.

There are options for you to get some of what you want, there are several after market add-on to give you more control of the extruder temp and I've found them to be great.
One I would recommend highly is this by art103.
http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 1058#p7362

The other simpler/cheaper option is the Octave switch.
http://www.octave.com/p1173433163/Extru ... _info.html

In any case Jose you have made your point quite loudly and I think everyone has heard you my friend.

Regards
Drew
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:30 am

The octave switch works great for me for ABS, all my old plastic from makerbot, ulitmachine, makergear, and octave now work just as well as the official pp3dp filament! It isnt "total temperature control" like Jose wants, but the 30 degree drop is perfect for every ABS filament I've put through it that was from my reprap days. I highly suggest it to anyone that doesnt buy the official ABS. Also a quick tip for newbies, if you are using regular ABS without any mods to your Up/Afinia and seeing crappy results, turn up the resolution. My old unofficial filament was horrible at 0.4mm (which sucks if you want to quickly prototype something) but always worked well at 0.2 or 0.15

ahd71

Post by ahd71 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:55 am

Hi,

A slightly different way of doing the same thing (and very much inspired of art123's work) is described in http://www.pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2527

(the differences is that it is a protoboard instead of "cableconnectors" and can be soldered in a few minutes with standard components (small protoboard piece, a flip-switch, a resistor, break away pins and their female friends whatever they are called in english :-)

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 am

ahd71

It's this the resistor ?. It's of 1/2 v .

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss18 ... 99a52d.jpg

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:25 am

I think a little potentiometer is better so you can dial in the temp you want.

josejuako

Post by josejuako » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:53 pm

I don't know how I use it roller . I bought this resistance but I don't know if is or not . The colors tells but I don't know the color reference . That's all , if you know tell me .

ahd71

Post by ahd71 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:10 pm

Okay, didn't see this before I read your pm, but as you know already you bought a resistor which shall work ;)