Windows 8.1

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Fred

Windows 8.1

Post by Fred » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:11 pm

So, what's the deal with Windows 8.1 then? There's supposed to be build-in support for the 3D printing (including the Up) in the OS but I can't see anything. The Up software v2.0 won't even install.

amarler

Re: Windows 8.1

Post by amarler » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:16 am

is any of the UP! software able to run on windows 8?

thanks

TAPPEDOUT

Post by TAPPEDOUT » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:07 pm

I know read of built in support on PP3P site for Win 8.1 but do not know what that means. Yes the UP Software works fine on Windows 8.0 and 8.1 it just takes a work around to install the unsigned driver for the UP Printer. You can Google for exact instrustions. On the Modern Desktop, far right corner for settings, Change PC Settings, Update and Recovery, Advanced Startup, Restart and allow Unsigned Drivers. Something like that ! Then in Device Manager find the problem Driver and point driver update to the driver folder within the UP 2.0 downloaded software.
I just installed the driver again after my Windows 8.1 upgrade the other day, and all is well.

Goedgezien

Post by Goedgezien » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:26 am

Since a couple of days I have a computer with windows 8 on it,
I installed the program, and it worked fine, until the update came for Windows 8.
Now it wont start, also not in compatibility modus.

Anybody any idea????

Martin Lubbers
info@goedgezien.com
Brummen
the Netherlands

a very enthousiast UP! Plus 2 user!

TAPPEDOUT

Post by TAPPEDOUT » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:01 pm

It should be fine with 8.1 and I just done the 8.0 to 8.1 update the day it became available.
You have to allow computer to install unsigned drivers, reboot, then find the printer in the device manager.
Update the printer driver by pointing to the Driver folder within the the Up installation folder.
All should be ok after that!

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:47 pm

Yes the current software works fine in 8.1 with driver signature off
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

pp3dp.nl

Post by pp3dp.nl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:09 pm

I would like to know how that Windows 8.1 support works, I just tried that app (3D Builder) but it won't recognize the Up. I thought PP3DP would be working with Microsoft?

If you try to print something the printer won't be recognised while I see that other people can select a Cube or Makerbot.

Did anybody successfully use the app with an Up? Or is only the Up Plus 2 supported?

rebizov

Post by rebizov » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:27 pm

pp3dp.nl wrote:I would like to know how that Windows 8.1 support works, I just tried that app (3D Builder) but it won't recognize the Up. I thought PP3DP would be working with Microsoft?
YEah,
latest news on the blog (http://www.pp3dp.com/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=50) dated January, 8 indicate that it should work with Windows 8.1
I have windows 8.1 and 3D Builder does not work with Up2.
Looks really strange, especially looking at all these announcements on PP3DP's website...

lanciadeltahf

Post by lanciadeltahf » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:37 am

Yeah,

It's very difficult to find the error. It's just the protection of Windows that no allow the autorisation to install the driver of UP plus.

To correct this problem: "nstDrv. The driver install failed."

I write in french in order to avoid my traduction errors:

In order to correct that: :idea:

Go on: Panneau de configuration\Système et sécurité\Centre de maintenance

Click on: Résolution des problèmes de compatibilité des programmes Window

A window open and click on "suivant".

Select the programm "UP" (not "Setup UP", "Uninstall UP" or things so, that's not right)

Then, not choose "Essayer les paramètres recommandés", but choose "Essayer les paramètres recommandés". ;)

Then, on the 4 purpose, click on "Le programme requiert des autorisations supplémentaires" and click on "suivant".

Click on "Tester le programme". Then, that's not work for me. :cry:

So, I uninstall the programm. I install one more time, disconnect the cable of the printer, open the UP programm, connect the cable and:

ENJOY! :D

A+ ;-)

cj7hawk

Post by cj7hawk » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:18 am

I've been using the UP software with 8.1 for some time - It does have some support for 3D printing built in, but that pretty much sucks. I haven't checked it on the 10 preview machines yet, but everything else works, so I'm not expecting any issues.

Installation isn't quite straightforward - a manual install of the drivers was required, allowing non-signed drivers to be installed - which takes a little messing around with the OS if you're not familiar with it -

I use 8.1 update updated... ( Yes, two updates in that ) .

I have some issues, but I don't think that's related to 8.1 - more that I seem to be pushing the limit of technical detail for the software and something it does unexpected and weird things - though quite repeatable. Things like missing bits of the line, or forgetting how much angle it needs for supportless lines... And then I end up with plastic suspended in space, which is never good.

But I just ran the new 2.13 version upgrade ( no further changes necessary, just ran it native ) and it seems improved and went OK with the OS.

Regards
David

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:56 am

There's this horrible app 3D Builder included, that's it :)

I'm a Mac user, never really used Windows as my main OS because before I could afford a Mac I was a Linux user, but MS has so really lost it with Windows...
Every time a new version of Windows comes in beta, I force myself to use it as my main OS for 2 weeks, and when that version oficially hits the market I do so again. Why? Because I want to like Microsoft and Windows, and be able to buy and enjoy a PC just as I can do with a Mac, and pay less. But so far, I don't see any reason to go the PC route.

I liked WIndows 8, it was fresh and innovative, and I really liked the concept of the same OS on desktop and mobile. But they didn't manage to get the details right and get people to fall in love, so they mutilated their idea with Windows 8.1, and now they are totally killing it with Windows 10, which is essentially is a skinned Windows... 7. Yep, used the Technological Preview for 2 weeks, and it really feels that way, and they will probably need to go to 11 to totally get rid of the problem where you get 2 versions of Control Panel (a Windows 8-like one and a Windows 7-like one).

But to get back to 3D Builder... it's the kind of app with big bloaty child-like controls that wants to make you feel that everyone can print 3D stuff flawlessly with the click of a button... and we are way far away from that, if it ever happens!
@stormychel

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:07 am

Call me a luddite, but I am sticking with XP Pro.
Several years ago I had a couple of laptops stolen, the insurance replaced them with new ones loaded with Vista. the stupidist version of Windows I have ever seen. I have tried 7 and found it too "trendy" with lots of what I want from Windows, hidden. So never bothered with
Seems to me that the kids of today designing software, web sites or whatever just cannot leave good solid working versions alone. No sooner do I get used to some user interface than simeone changes it to makeit, in my opinion, look prettier, or cooler in some peoples mind, but less friendly to use. And it usually bloats the software slowing things down. Example UK met office used to have a very stable and fast site, largely text, where you could find forecasts etc quickly and easily. Now its all graphics loading slowly before any useful text appears. Additionall they used to show 24 hours satellitte image animation of the UK with about 5 miles resolurion. Now taking longer at probably 1 mile resolution they show just 2 hours animation. how ridiculowus,you cannot observe weather trends with only 2 hours history. Do they care, no, I have asked them!

Sorry I know this is off topic but I now feel better, havong had a rant.

Back to my UP Plus, today a load of boat cockpit floor dampeners in Ninjaflez

cheers
Peter

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:34 am

mr6k wrote:Call me a luddite, but I am sticking with XP Pro.
Several years ago I had a couple of laptops stolen, the insurance replaced them with new ones loaded with Vista. the stupidist version of Windows I have ever seen. I have tried 7 and found it too "trendy" with lots of what I want from Windows, hidden. So never bothered with
Seems to me that the kids of today designing software, web sites or whatever just cannot leave good solid working versions alone. No sooner do I get used to some user interface than simeone changes it to makeit, in my opinion, look prettier, or cooler in some peoples mind, but less friendly to use. And it usually bloats the software slowing things down. Example UK met office used to have a very stable and fast site, largely text, where you could find forecasts etc quickly and easily. Now its all graphics loading slowly before any useful text appears. Additionall they used to show 24 hours satellitte image animation of the UK with about 5 miles resolurion. Now taking longer at probably 1 mile resolution they show just 2 hours animation. how ridiculowus,you cannot observe weather trends with only 2 hours history. Do they care, no, I have asked them!

Sorry I know this is off topic but I now feel better, havong had a rant.

Back to my UP Plus, today a load of boat cockpit floor dampeners in Ninjaflez

cheers
Peter
With you on the fact that interfaces get changed too much :) That's why i love Mac OSX :)

Did you mod the printer to use Ninjaflex? Or does it just work?
@stormychel

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:56 pm

Stormychel,

I made a fairly drastic mod to ensure a good feed of Ninjaflex, search "rubber Plastic Advice" thread and you should find description and photos. Basically I build a low pressure additional feeder above the extruder. It "helps" the ninjaflex into the extruder. Still on the original battery all these months later, very low torque motor used. The gear that "grabs" the ninjaflex just helps push it in as required, but is set with the roller bearing pressure such that the gear slips when no feed is required, and the pressure on the gear is so low as to not chew into the ninjaflex. Works for me. All Ninjaflex jobs I do are at 260 degrees, fine print setting 0.2mm and maximum fill. Also Ninjafex sticks to the raw platform pretty well, also sticks well to Kapton tape which is my base of choice for ABS, and I never print rafts with ABS. Have never got on with PLA and as I build engineering products I would not use it due to its biodegradability.

cheers

Peter

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:50 am

Thanks for the very complete reply, will order a spool of Ninjaflex to play with and try your mod :)
@stormychel