Testing befor buying

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
DickL

Testing befor buying

Post by DickL » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi
I am thinking about buying an Afinia machine. I like to know as much about a product before I spend the money. I downloaded the software and installed it. I generated a model, saved it as an .stl file and loaded it into the software. It loads and displays correctly. When I do a print preview, I get an error message saying the model is out of range. I get the same error message when I load one of the part files included with the software so my model file should be ok. Since I don't have a machine, the initialize button doesn't work so whatever the initialize does, is not happening. When I do the print preview, I am asked about an .ini file. I do not have one. Can this be the reason print preview is not working? If I need the .ini file, can someone send one?

Tnx
DickL

mb20music

Re: Testing befor buying

Post by mb20music » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:18 am

If you want to post the .stl file, I can load it into the Up software and see what I get.

DickL

Post by DickL » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi
It looks ok on the UP software. Could you or someone look for a .ini file? I e-mailed my model to Afinia. They loaded it and the print preview worked. I think the problem is that, not having a machine, I've never done an initialize so whatever is setup/configured is not. I would really like to see if anyone has an .ini file in their directories.

I tried to load the .stl file, but it's not allowed. It seems like something this forum should allow.

Tnx
R. Lindmeier

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Unfortunately the print preview won't work until after a printer has been hooked up to the software at least once, and I'm guessing thats also why you are getting a print out of range error, because the software doesn't know what your height calibration is. I have a friend that uses cinema4d a lot and I was printing parts for him, but he was constantly giving me models that were too big and it was getting quite annoying so I told him to use the Up! Software to preview his files before he sent them to me to make sure they fit on the print bed. We had the same problem though, he couldn't actually get the software to do a print preview until we brought his laptop over and actually hooked it up to the printer once. I believe the software also doesn't know if you are using the Afinia/up! or the Up Mini until you hook it up also

DrewPetitclerc

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:40 pm

The software reads the on board setting of the machine, getting information about the layer capabilities and Z height settings, then it can do a preview.

We have 3 Up Plus machines that we swap the USBs to one computer and each time the software updates the info from the printers.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc