Difference between Mac and Windows software

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
lukeott

Difference between Mac and Windows software

Post by lukeott » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:07 pm

Hi
I'm new to 3D printing but after a fair bit of research I am going to buy an Up! Plus.
I've read on this forum that there are differences between the Mac and Windows version of the Up software. Could anyone tell me what those differences are?
I am planning on running it with a Mac running Mountain Lion, but could if I absolutely have to use an old Win XP laptop.

Thanks.

Luke

roller

Re: Difference between Mac and Windows software

Post by roller » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:48 am

Essentially, the Mac version crashes more, is about two versions older in terms of features (ie less new features), has a much clunkier interface, put locked files in stupid places on your system disk and has menu options that are entirely decorative. That said it does enough most of the time as long as you don't need a latest printing feature and I find I only fire up Windows for a print once a fortnight and I probably could have gotten by with the Mac version if I was desperate. Print quality out of it is just fine.

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Oh.
Can't say I'm warming to the idea of running the Mac software after your glowing review :lol:
I obviously don't know what the latest printing features are that I'd be missing out on but I figure that as a newbie I could do with all the help that's available in the software.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:10 am

The Mac software works and it's actually fine to use especially if you don't use the Windows software and find out what better designed software looks like. To see what features you miss look at the release history and see what you get in the latest Windows version and know you wont get that.

You will find many users here actually use older versions because they like the results they get with that version. Latest versions aren't necessarily the best but they do have a few new little tweaks and latest isn't always greatest (I am finding both Mac and Windows latest versions problematic for some reason). The latest Windows version has a feature called surface which is missing from the Mac version ... apart from that there seems to be mostly little tweaks to print method which make little to no difference.

So ... if you run the Mac version don't look at the Windows software and you will be naively happy!

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:39 am

roller wrote:So ... if you run the Mac version don't look at the Windows software and you will be naively happy!
Ignorance is bliss!
Thanks very much for your help.

marto

Post by marto » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Another thing to consider is that if you are going to draw anything, in any decent CAD package, you sort of have to use windows anyway.

Very few commercial grade CAD programs support Mac. You can use things like sketchup or 123D. But these are no where near as full featured as Inventor Pro or Solidworks on windows. I have used solidworks for past 10yrs and I have to say trying to use other programs on mac has always been too painful.

I run Vmware with windows 7 and Virtual Box with Windows XP on my Macbook. (Sometimes at the same time) And I have no issues with speed. (I do have 16gb of ram which helps, though 8 is plenty) So this is a potential option if you don't want to install windows or have to reboot to use it. I run CAD, certain windows only software programs and Up software all the time and really it works great.

Personally I haven't really had much luck with the Mac software. I would plan on using windows if you buy the Up. That said installing Opensource based software or other wrapped versions of opensource software isn't always easy on Mac either. And I wouldn't let it turn you off buying it.

Steve

roller

Post by roller » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:45 am

If you want great CAD try the Rhino Beta for free on the Mac ... of course Grasshopper and most scripts don't work in the Mac/Beta version but for fantastic NURBS modeller there is that. Don't forget 123D, Blender, Sketchup and OpenSCAD are the prime tools for most 3D printing aficionados and are all available on the Mac so you're are only missing out if you are really seriously modeller and in that case you probably want a more sophisticated printer.

lukeott

Post by lukeott » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for your input.
I was planning on using TinkerCAD to create simple models to begin with. If I do anything more than that I will probably use the package we have at work. It's called Part Modeller from EdgeCAM and of course it is Windows only! It's no Solidworks and I haven't used it yet but it seems sensible to utilise it, especially as part of the reason for me getting a 3D printer is for producing prototypes, mockups, tooling, etc for the business.
I've mentioned running it on the Mac under Parallels (which I'd have to buy) to the vendor and they advised against it.
I'm 99% certain I'll buy a cheap Windows laptop and save myself a bit of bother.

roller

Post by roller » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:59 am

You can always just run it under Boot Camp - then you have full blown Windows and no graphics driver/performance issues. Also, if you do decide to try to run it under a VM try both Parallels and VMWare Fusion under trials before you commit as sometimes one will work much better than the other with particular packages.