UP software v1.18 beta, support platform level calibration

Support for UP Software. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Tiertime-Edward

UP software v1.18 beta, support platform level calibration

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:08 am

Hi Uppers,

This is a pre-release of the UP! software v1.18 beta version. Please download software by this link, https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78622263/UP.exe

This software can solve the platform level problem on the UP! printer. Sorry, but this is only a .exe program. As some folks are concerned with the UP! mini platform level problem, and some UP! mini users are eager to use the printer for their project. This software can solve your platform level problems. We will release the final version very soon. Please stay tuned to the pp3dp.com, forum or the twitter (@PP3DP).

Here below are instructions for platform level calibration:

1. Copy the program into the UP software installation file.

2. Add “Platform calibrate”command in the 3D Print menu. Platform calibrate command can be used after initialization.

3. Platform calibration dialogue will pop up once the new command is applied.

4. Click and long press the up arrow to lift the platform to a high height like 110mm. lift the platform little by little by click the up arrow. Move the nozzle and platform to each of the 9 locations on the platform by click the corresponding location number (1, 2...9 in the platform calibrate dialogue). Find out one of the 9 locations that makes the gap between the nozzle and platform the smallest. That location is the highest point on the platform. Move the nozzle to the highest point on the platform and make sure the gap between the nozzle and the highest point is zero.

Trick: click the up arrow can lift the platform by 0.1mm; press the up arrow for 2 seconds can lift the platform by 1mm; long press the up arrow to lift the platform to any allowed height.

5. Click the upper button to set the current nozzle height. Set this nozzle height is for reference when measure the other location.

6. Move the nozzle and platform to each of the other 8 locations and measure the gap between one by one. Beside each of the 9 locations is a box with the numbers inside, select one of the 10 numbers (0.1, 0.2...1) can lift the platform to a corresponding height. Use that number when it makes the gap between the nozzle and platform is zero.

Note: the allowed largest calibration distance between nozzle and platform is 1mm. Please Make sure the gap between nozzle and the highest point on the platform is zero, otherwise the calibration room is smaller than 1mm.

8. After all of the 9 location are measured and set, click the button at the bottom to apply the final nozzle height. A dialogue will pop up when the calibration is successful.

Close the platform calibration dialogue and starts a new exciting printing.

Platform calibration applies to UP! plus and UP! mini.
Attachments
level calibration.png
level calibration.png (14.89 KiB) Viewed 25726 times

Tiertime-Edward

Re: UP software v1.18 beta, support platform level calibrati

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:15 am

Hi all, one another trick for measure the gap between the nozzle and platform. Get a thin piece of paper, and measure the thickness of this piece of paper. This piece of paper for your reference when you want to make the gap between the nozzle and platform to be zero.

Happy printing!

Edward

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:03 am

Hi Edward, as you know I have been desperately chasing a fix for the uneven platform. How long before there is a Mac version?

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:16 am

Roller do the fix on a windows PC and the settings should be stored on the printer. (Haven't tested this) Then use your Mac software.

www.3DPrintingSystems.com
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:16 am

Well apart from having to find Windows to run it on (it behaves weirdly on my Parallels 8 VM) I was hoping we might get an update for Mac so I can get all the other improvements ... even just getting the pause button would be great! The Mac version has just been left so far behind.

Also, I was hoping this would mean I could print without the shim you provided me Bruce because it impinges on the print area and messes up printing past about 110mm on the right because the extruder hits the shim. But, I see the max variation is 1mm. My variation is 0.7mm with the shim but well over 1.4mm without it (using the thicker side).

So Edward, is there a plan to allow for more variation than 1mm or will i have to permanently live with some kind of shim in place to partly level the bed.

Also, how does algorithm work... does it tilt the print to the plain of the bed or does it compensate in the raft ... if so what happens to raftless printing.

Tiertime-Edward

Post by Tiertime-Edward » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:17 am

Hi roller,

Sorry for the late of Mac version. We will try to make that happen soon. Will inform you when will be the Mac version is available.

We think 1mm is enought for most or all of the UP! mini printers. Did you try the software calibration? Is 1mm enought for your UP! mini printer?

Algorithm work by compensate in the raft, sorry but for some big models maybe raftless is not working.

Kind regards,
Edward

roller

Post by roller » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:46 am

I can't test because the Up or Up software doesn't seem to work well through my Windows VM (just upgraded to Parallels 8 so this could be a bug in the early version). I only really have a choice of OS X 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8.

Raftless on glass/kapton will be an import part of my printing in the future and a major reason why i need a flat bed. Printing now it just tears up the kapton on the high side.

My Mini is out by more than 1mm. From front left to back right its 1.4mm using my depth guage. I get the same reading +/- 0.1mm with hot bed versus perfboard or glass plate. 1.3mm using a thermal paper as a feeler guage (thinnest and good because you can see it leave a mark) on perfboard.

roller

Post by roller » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Ok ... I actually tried the software tonight (loaded up a new Win XP VM). I used some feeler gauges - still looks like I need 1.2 or 1.3 mm to make it flat. I've fixed it for now with some paper. First print is underway and it's so nice to no longer hear the nozzle running over the perfboard like a cheese grater.

Bugs - not sure if it's a VM thing but the flyout describing the model when you click on it wont go away and if you click multiple times I end up with many of them that hang around for a few mins before disappearing on their own.

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:38 pm

And talking of bugs you may want to correct the words at the top of the calibration window:

Elevate the platform until the heightest piont contact with the nozzle

might read better as:

Elevate the platform until the highest point is in contact with the nozzle

Thanks!

roller

Post by roller » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Ok ... feedback on print quality is that comparing to Mac version 1.3 on the same print there are adhesion issues on the bottom layers of the print. Removing the raft easily rips away the bottom layers of the model. Similarly some of the edge/bottom layers of the model are weak and easily tear away and shouldn't. This was comparing 1.18beta to 1.3 Mac. Same settings wind barrier set closed for the whole print.

[Update] I just did a different print of one I have done before. Definitely getting more delamination of top and bottom layers compared to Mac 1.3 version. Overall print seems weaker with less bonding of the layers.

roller

Post by roller » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:40 am

Ok, after a few prints I think the issue is that the raft/botom layer gets screwed up in one corner in large prints. The bottom layer seems too thin in that corner and the raft adheres better than the subsequent layers of the print so it always peels away with the raft. I have no repeated the test on 6 different prints with the same outcome. What I haven't figured is if it's the high or low corner (because I didn't pay attention to the first few and confused myself with which way it was fitted on the last sheet). I'll verify on the next large print I do. Thi is definitely a 1.18 issue as I have not had it with the exact same prints of 1.3.

eyUP

Post by eyUP » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:47 pm

I noticed some mention of support being easier to remove in the latest versions (1.17 or 1.18)....maybe this is why the print is peeling off the raft more easily.
My guess is that the gap or timing between support surface and the next layer has been increased to reduce adhesion.
I really think it's time to add some advanced options to the software which will allow small tweaks these types of parameters.

roller

Post by roller » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:15 am

Well my problem is that on a large print the raft wont peel away at all in one corner. Instead the raft takes a large chunk of print job with it.

scubamatt41

Post by scubamatt41 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:40 am

roller wrote:Well my problem is that on a large print the raft wont peel away at all in one corner. Instead the raft takes a large chunk of print job with it.
Hi roller, would that happen to be the front left corner?
Seems like the "level the bed" patch isn't working.
Always breath out on the way UP

teamcarlisle

Post by teamcarlisle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:23 am

wackojacko wrote:Roller do the fix on a windows PC and the settings should be stored on the printer. (Haven't tested this) Then use your Mac software.

According to the Official PP3DP Manual the settings are NOT stored on the printer, see page 34. (manual located at http://www.pp3dp.com/index.php?option=c ... ry&catid=3 )I keep seeing people say that the settings are stored on the printer though, so I'm wondering if PP3dp didnt update that bit of the manual, or if no one has actually read the manual or verified wether or not printer stores the calibration.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:13 am

Firstly, I do not have an UP Mini, but the UP! Plus.

I am astounded that these platform tilts on the Mini of over 1mm and are leaving the factory with such errors. I have not looked at a mini but am surprised there is no equivalent way of leveling the platform as on the UP! Plus, by mechanical leveling screws. I guess the mini is manufactured to a low price or something. For the manufacture to now offer a "bodge" of compensating for the tilt by building asymmetrical rafts is I assume only a short term fix. I agree with Roller, how on earth can you print raftless successfully? And bear in mind raftless is a major mode of operation on which the UP is sold. It frustrates me that all this software design energy is gong into a bodge fix for a mechanical design error, when many of us are still awaiting useful software incorporating some from the long fix lists on this forum.

A thought, why if the bodge just generates an asymmetrical raft on every print, can the same mode not generate a single asymmetrical base in ABS, say 0.2mm at its thinnest edge that can be fitted under the entire platform, too level it up. I say this without knowledge of the platform mechanics.

I think any potential customers for the mini reading this forum, are going to loose confidence in purchasing a mini, unless the manufacturer comes up quickly with a proper mechanical method of leveling the platform.

cheers

Peter

Macman

Post by Macman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Peter,
your spot on. I am looking at the mini as I can't really stretch to the UP plus. The table issue is a concern, I have the skill and facilities to correct it however I am not to keen on fixing a factory issue on a £1k+ machine.

The other item I am watching is the software. I have no issue with closed source but, it would be good to have sliders to allow the user to tweak controls to take into account environment and material variations. All that aside I am impressed by what I find here and the quality of prints on display.

JuliaDee

Post by JuliaDee » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:09 am

Not to be obtuse or difficult, but can someone explain to me this obsession with raftless printing? Personally I think the raft is an ingenious piece of self-correcting engineering that largely eliminates bed level-ness as a factor affecting print quality. Why would you want to deliberately defeat that feature and make your prints' squareness directly proportional to your bed's level-ness rather than independent of it, apart from saving a few minutes worth of printing time and a few grams of filament? Or maybe it's because you need one side of your print to be shiny (even though all its other surfaces are not)?

The one thing I do wish that pp3dp would do with regard to rafts is have the raft print at "normal" or "fast" speed even when "Fine" is selected as the print speed. I really don't think that printing the raft at "Fine" speed makes any difference in print quality, and it lengthens print time unnecessarily.

julia

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:25 am

To true!! Raftless does save a few minutes and a few grams but overall is a general pain and only suites small parts will flat bottoms.
Bruce

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

roller

Post by roller » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:45 am

Julia raftless is easy to explain:

- I print a lot of thin based prints and raftless means up they come and they are ready to go. The raft is hard to get off a large thin area.
- I print a lot of small, delicate parts ... the raft can be difficult to separate and wastes about 90% of the plastic in the raft
- PLA ... I love printing in PLA. It smells nice, it's chemical resistant, its great for sacrificial casting, its biodegradable ... but it wont come off the raft!!

So ... to have a flat bed I have to give up PLA, phenomenal waste and being able to print 90% of what I want to print. In reprap, pretty much everyone gave up rafts about a year ago because all the adhesion and leveling issues had been worked out. Up Plus can print raftless! So, everyone can print raftless except Mini owners because there printers were either designed badly or manufactured to inadequate standards.

The issue is not what is the big deal about raftless ... it's a horse for courses issue ... the issue is why do Mini owners have to give up raftless? Simply because we are product beta testers!