Raft less printing

talk about anything
XRay

Raft less printing

Post by XRay » Thu May 10, 2012 11:21 pm

I really need some help to print stuff without raft. When I first got my my UP I did print out a small object without raft, it sits right on terf board nicely, then started to print more complicated stuff (even a working bearing) with raft. Now I need to print some stuff raftlessly but funny enough, no matter how my setting is, you can always see the raft when you rotate you object and also a small gap between the table graphically. Then once start printing, the nozzle is never close enough to the terf board, which results in spaghetti right away.

I searched forum and found a couple of related threads, but none gives the final solution. Can anyone who is printing raftlessly give me some clear advices? Your help is much appreciated!

RX

mr6k

Re: Raft less printing

Post by mr6k » Thu May 10, 2012 11:40 pm

Have you checked your nozzle height? Maybe this has changed for some reason. Whatever you print onto always check the nozzle is about 0.2mm from the surface you are printing onto. Go into maintenance and set nozzle height, then slip a sheet of folded paper between the nozzle and the platform/kapton/perf board or whatever you are using. If the nozzle height is 0.2mm you should feel a slight catch between the folded paper and the nozzle. If the paper is free then the nozzle height is too low if the paper will not slip between the nozzle and paper the platform is too high. adjust as needed.

Apologies if I am telling you how to suck eggs.

cheers

Peter

XRay

Post by XRay » Fri May 11, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks for your quick reply. I calibrated my nozzle height really well, because precision measurement is my profession, I use very precise gauge block and .002"(.05mm) shim to set the nozzle height. But it won't hurt to double check it again. The raft and gap in the graphic is still confusing me because if I set to "no raft" you should not see them in graphical are.

RX

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Fri May 11, 2012 1:06 am

XRay wrote:Thanks for your quick reply. I calibrated my nozzle height really well, because precision measurement is my profession, I use very precise gauge block and .002"(.05mm) shim to set the nozzle height. But it won't hurt to double check it again. The raft and gap in the graphic is still confusing me because if I set to "no raft" you should not see them in graphical are.

RX
Ignore the graphic, it shows up whether you print with a raft or not.

It's a good idea to recalibrate the Z axis from time to time. It doesn't take much to move it by a couple tenths of a millimeter, and that's going to mess up raftless. Printing with a raft is more forgiving.

Steelyd

Post by Steelyd » Fri May 11, 2012 5:44 pm

I brush a real thin/weak mixture of plastic and acetone on the perf board before heating.

XRay

Post by XRay » Fri May 11, 2012 7:49 pm

All your advices are good, really appreciate it. I know printing with raft is more stable, but I need to print out a diameter of 132 mm which reaches the limit of the table but should still fit. But the problem is it gives me error saying out of limit and you see the raft is out of limit graphically, not the real object. That's why it bothers me because I believe even though you set it as "no raft", somehow the software still thinks of raft when calculating material and time.

RX