Extruder skipping AGAIN!

Talk about anything.
ata0921

Extruder skipping AGAIN!

Post by ata0921 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:42 pm

My extruder motor randomly started skipping, it's done this before and I've been able to get a replacement. But it's happened again and I just wanted to get some insight on the issues from other UP!ers.On the original UP!'s I own this has not been a problem, it is the more recent model that has had this happen twice now. Did something change in hot-end/nozzle design?

I've always printed with OEM plastic from PP3DP. The printer will extruder when I use the "Extrude" option in the maintenance window, but will start to skip when actually printing (at any speed setting, fast, normal and even fine).

What has been the cause of extruder skipping for other users out there? The nozzle is soaking in acetone now...
- Andy

DrewPetitclerc

Re: Extruder skipping AGAIN!

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:39 am

Setting the Z too close to the nozzle can create back pressure and I've seen the skipping or clicking you describe, also I recently after a long print with ABS switched to a new Polycarbonate material and when I hit the "Extrude" the motor did not skip it slowed to a halt, I was able to get it going again by manually pushing the filament down into the extruder and the motor began to take over but when it finished and I hit the extrude again it needed help again. I think it may be due to the higher viscosity of the Polycarbonate and extra heat generated by the motor since I just updated to the new motherboard/stepper controllers, the higher heat could be weakening the magnets in the motors.
try lowering your build plate "Z" setting by 0.1mm to 0.2mm and recheck your build plate level.

Madox

Post by Madox » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:19 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:Setting the Z too close to the nozzle can create back pressure and I've seen the skipping or clicking you describe, also I recently after a long print with ABS switched to a new Polycarbonate material and when I hit the "Extrude" the motor did not skip it slowed to a halt, I was able to get it going again by manually pushing the filament down into the extruder and the motor began to take over but when it finished and I hit the extrude again it needed help again. I think it may be due to the higher viscosity of the Polycarbonate and extra heat generated by the motor since I just updated to the new motherboard/stepper controllers, the higher heat could be weakening the magnets in the motors.
try lowering your build plate "Z" setting by 0.1mm to 0.2mm and recheck your build plate level.
Drew - FYI...
My opinion/"I think" - The default 270C profile is too hot for polycarbonate and you end up with your problems plus some 'drooping' of the filament in the infill and on overhangs.

Send me a PM / E-mail actually :)

ata0921

Post by ata0921 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:08 am

DrewPetitclerc wrote:Setting the Z too close to the nozzle can create back pressure and I've seen the skipping or clicking you describe, also I recently after a long print with ABS switched to a new Polycarbonate material and when I hit the "Extrude" the motor did not skip it slowed to a halt, I was able to get it going again by manually pushing the filament down into the extruder and the motor began to take over but when it finished and I hit the extrude again it needed help again. I think it may be due to the higher viscosity of the Polycarbonate and extra heat generated by the motor since I just updated to the new motherboard/stepper controllers, the higher heat could be weakening the magnets in the motors.
Yeah, I'm not that close to the nozzle. If I back off anymore, the first layer won't be filled or stick. I'm printing raftless mostly for the past year or so onto hot glass and kapton. The bed is as leveled as I can get it, 0.05mm variation across the surface. Teeth is SUPER clean too. What other possible points of fail are there in the hot-end assembly other than the nozzle? The barrel is just a short stem into the heater block and then meets the nozzle, right? Is there something else I should be cleaning?

It prints fine for awhile, and then just randomly craps out. I haven't had this happen on any of my older UP!'s either. Soaking it over night and trying again tomorrow.
- Andy

bringfire

Post by bringfire » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:01 am

I know this post is a little bit old, but I wanted to share my experience for anyone in the future here.

I had the same problem with my Up Plus...the printer would just stop extruding about half way through the print. The extruder gear wasn't clogged, the extruder stepper motor would just stop spinning.

I emailed PP3DP and they sent me an images detailing how to fix the problem (I have attached it to this post).

Basically, a ground wire must be soldered from the mini-USB cable port on the circuit board to the power ground, and then attach that to the case.

This solved my problem!

Hope this helps.

Aaron
Attachments
USB Grounding.jpg
USB Grounding.jpg (173.41 KiB) Viewed 9642 times

jspark

Post by jspark » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks! bringfire!

It is exactly same with my UP's problem.

I've repaired the USB goround problem by myself on the basis of information sheet from my dealer.
up_board_repair_2.jpg
up_board_repair_2.jpg (195.37 KiB) Viewed 9598 times
But there was still problem on the extruder.

The extruder only normally operated when I slightly lift the corner of the main board.

So I 've used my UP using by folded paper under the main board for a while.
UP_printer_circuit_600_2.jpg
UP_printer_circuit_600_2.jpg (153.11 KiB) Viewed 9598 times
Now my UP's main board goes away for replacement.

I realized that I could fix the problem If I connect the ground to the UP's case as bringfire's post.

I think pp3dp has to notice this issue officially.

ata0921

Post by ata0921 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Awesome! Thanks for following up on this post, this might explain all the strangeness that randomly occurs on my machine.
- Andy

goopyplastic

Post by goopyplastic » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:50 am

by skipping do you mean that is just isn't feeding, or that the extruder is skipping / stuttering trying to extrude the filament? (making the filament tube jiggle)

I just setup my Afinia and had a stuttering / skipping on the first test print started stuttering on the first raft layer, I soaked the nozzle in acetone for 24 hours then ran some thin wire through the nozzle (the included tweezers work pretty well). After doing that it seemed to print fine, I did a couple of prints and haven't noticed any stuttering.