Improper printing

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
mrf

Improper printing

Post by mrf » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I'm experiencing some printing problems with my Up! mini.
I thought it had something to do with de nozzle height. So I set de nozzle height again, adjusting with 0.1 increments. But after several attempts the printed results stayed the same. I've included some images:
Image Image
Image Image
It seems that the filament gets compressed and smudged.

I found it also peculiar that the filament extrude from de "maintenance" menu was very thick.
I'm using OS X 10.6.8 with Up! 1.4.2
I already read about the bugs in the mac version of the Up! software.
Can someone help me with this annoying problem?

wackojacko

Re: Improper printing

Post by wackojacko » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:06 am

Either your nozzle is too close to the platform or your nozzle has some blockage.
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:05 am

In maintenance, the extrude mode should push out filament at about 0.4mm to 0.5mm diameter, at least mine does,
if it much wider than that I would think that your extruder nozzle is too wide/damaged.

When printing, assuming you have set the nozzle about two thicknesses of printing paper away from the platform, the first layer will squeeze out to about 1.5mm to 2mm. I always print raftless onto Kapton tape and find that I sometimes need to trim the finished printed edge that touched the platform to remove the squeeezed out edge.

Remember that the printer spec of 0.2mm, or 0.15mm with latest soft/firmware, refers more to the placement accuracy of the material than the extruded thickness. As others have often mentioned here, 1mm is about the thinnest actual x and y cross section wall that can be printed, however layer to Layer accuracy, i.e edge faces and vertical thickness are accurate to 0.15 or 0.2mm.

cheers

Peter

mrf

Post by mrf » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks for your response.
I did the following according to the advise given. First I cleaned the nozzle with acetone. Then recalibrated the height with two sheets of printing paper. When I started printing, the filament peeled away form the cellboard. I cancelled the print job.
Afterwards I extrude the filament from the maintenance menu. The diameter is about 1,2 mm. So this means that my nozzle is damaged?