UP Mini Unresponsive, Blue Light, Nothing happens

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Vlexa

UP Mini Unresponsive, Blue Light, Nothing happens

Post by Vlexa » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:19 pm

Hi All,

Sorry for my first post to be a cry for help but not sure what else to do.

I bought my Up Mini (Original one) second hand from ebay about 5 months ago, it has been working flawlessly since and really has become the dependable one(Seen as all i have is a bricked Davinci 1.0 and an Anet a8 mid-upgrade), until I went to turn it on yesterday.

Basically, I turn it on using the switch at the back, and all i get it a solid blue light around the button. Nothing else, tried pressing the button, tried holding the button. Nothing.

I connect it to my Laptop (Same laptop i have always used with it) and nothing, doesn't show as connected or anything.

I unplugged it and left it overnight until this evening, try it again. Same thing.

I am worried that this means reliable old Angus (Named in honour of the reviewer that recommended it so highly) has popped his proverbial clogs, but hoping for a second opinion from anyone who may have seen this problem before.

Thanks,
Chris

Tiertime-Elaine

Re: UP Mini Unresponsive, Blue Light, Nothing happens

Post by Tiertime-Elaine » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:20 am

Hi Chris,

It sounds like you run into hard problems.

Could you please DM me your email address that I can coordinate for you or contact our tech support at support(at)tiertime.com for further assistance?

Cheers,
Elaine

ricks01

Post by ricks01 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:00 am

In many cases when the printer doesn't initialize or get recognized by the computer it is because of a bad CPU board, they are easy to replace but they are very expensive, last time I checked they were around $300 for a new CPU board.

Vlexa

Post by Vlexa » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:30 pm

Tiertime-Elaine - Sorry i can't DM as apparently this feature is disabled? I will contact the support email address in case there is anything that can be done. Not sure if i had mentioned, but this was purchased second hand, and i am not too sure when so i imagine it is out of warranty etc. that said, any assistance that could be provided would be greatly received.

mb20music - I was afraid that this was the answer, i wasn't sure if maybe there was a way to do a "hard" reset. to be honest, i purchased the printer for around that kind of money, so its probably not economically viable. It is annoying, Angus was meant to be the dependable one, and there had been no noticeable signs that things were breaking!

Thanks both.

catfish

Post by catfish » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:14 pm

i ran into the same issue with the CPU failing. It's a common problem with the Up Mini unfortunately. I would recommend looking into a replacement MCU that someone developed that runs Smoothieware to control the printer. It's plug and play to replace the MCU. The downside is that you can't use the base software anymore. I purchased several of the replacement MCUs and use Repetier to control the printer.

https://www.tinyfab.xyz/shop

The alternate MCU is far cheaper (68.00 US) and works fairly well. I an nearly done configuring it to print parts. It does take some experimenting to get the printer working properly after installing and i'm almost there.

Rgds,

Dan

Vlexa

Post by Vlexa » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:24 pm

I have plenty of boards lying around, i had considered trying to get this working with Marlin (I have experience with this), but at the moment it is unfortunately low on my list of projects as I have 2 other printers in various states of repair ha.

Thanks for the advice though! will definitely keep that in mind! :)

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:16 pm

Hi Folks...
I experienced the same issue ....

Ive bought an used UP! MINI and I runned into electrical issues several times. When I got up from my chair and touch the mini - it stops printing.
- Sometimes I can use it right after switching it off an on
- sometimes no reaction after power on (no led)
- sometimes it starts with a flickering to dying out blue led
- sometimes it starts with blue led on (instead of red) for several hours (up to days), and come back to normal.

Now... its 10 days ago with that blue LED problem... every time I power up the printer it comes up with the blue LED :-)
30 minute ago I decided to buy tinyFab MNU....
and leave the printer on and connected...
... after 20 minutes it comes back to live and remembered by USB

Regards

Thomas

ThomasW

Post by ThomasW » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:40 pm

Hi Folks
Ive bought an used UP! MINI and I ran into the same electrical or ESD issues with blue LED on several times:
When I got up from my chair and touch the mini - it stops printing.
- Sometimes I can use it again right after switching it off an on
- sometimes no signs of life after power on (no led)
- sometimes it starts with a flickering (and fading to off) blue led
- sometimes it starts with blue led on (instead of red) for several hours (up to days), and come back to normal.

Another experience:
This time it takes two weeks... Every time I powered it up it comes up with the blue LED.
I found this thread and decided to give up the CPU and buy and pay a tinyfab CPU...

but...
As against to the former tests I left the printer powered up and connected to the computer in its blue LED status. After some time ... about 20-30 minutes ..I heard the sound of "something connected to USB" and the LED was red again.

-> my tip for other users annoyed by a blue LED .... leave it connected and powered up for some time

-> to all: Whats wrong with these Schrödinger's cat related electric parts in the printers CPU...

Regards
Thomas