Pla filament recommendation and what temperature?

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Tobechecked

Pla filament recommendation and what temperature?

Post by Tobechecked » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi together,

I used a pla from amazon. Midterm during the print no pla was coming out anymore, afterwards I figured out that heating was still set to abs... I cleaned all parts but the extrude function still does not work anymore with the pla - even when I set heating to abs or abs+.
Any idea what is still wrong?

When the cause is the pla - what pla do you recommend for the up mini?

Thanks!

ricks01

Re: Pla filament recommendation and what temperature?

Post by ricks01 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:30 pm

The only PLA filament recommended to use is the UP! or Afinia brand PLA filament, unfortunately there aren't very many colors and also costs more than third party filament.

ricks01

Post by ricks01 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:35 pm

The only PLA filament recommended to use i the UP! or Afinia branded PLA filament, unfortunately there aren't very many colors and also costs more than third party filament.

However, I have had positive results with some third party pla filament when applying a small amount of canola cooking oil to the filament before it enters the extruder. I have been doing this by hand, but some people have attached an "oiler" to the printer which is basically just a piece of sponge covered in the cooking oil.

Tobechecked

Post by Tobechecked » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:36 am

Thank you for the feedback. Where can I buy the up pla exactly with delivery to Germany?

Tobechecked

Post by Tobechecked » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Anyone?

3DWerner

Post by 3DWerner » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Hallo (from Germany)

I tried also a lot of stuff wrt. to PLA printing. I fiddled around with temperatures etc. Nothing really helped.
It stuck normally during printing ...

But then I read about an tip - since then the ordinary PLA filament from e.g. filament-world.de worked.

I put an drop of "oil" on an kitchen-paper and wrapped it around the filament. So the filament gets a skin of oil and
it does not stick in the nozzle anymore.

Viel Erfolg!

tel

Post by tel » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:11 am

I have found that the polymaker branded PLA also works well with the UPs

Tobechecked

Post by Tobechecked » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the oil - where do you locate the paper exactly and is it really just one oil drop?

3DWerner

Post by 3DWerner » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Today I got some Avistron Filament from Reichelt.de. 25€ per Kilo!

High Temp Range: 210 - 225°C. You can print it direct out of the box. It worked very well ....
An it nicely backed in a box...

kerstman

Post by kerstman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:08 pm

I got very good results with Polymaker Polymax. From Polymaker this one seems to print best. Haven't tried polysmooth yet.
There aren't a lot of PLA brands that print on UP printers. The problem is that the feeding assembly gets very hot due to the motor and the filament is not fed anymore, gets stripped.
Harder PLA works well.

Scirocco

Post by Scirocco » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:08 am

3DWerner wrote:Today I got some Avistron Filament from Reichelt.de. 25€ per Kilo!

High Temp Range: 210 - 225°C. You can print it direct out of the box. It worked very well ....
An it nicely backed in a box...
I have a spool of yellow Avistron PLA as well. I bought it from reichelt too. It prints on my Up Mini with UpStudio in a customized temerature range of 230°C. :D

As I had so good experience with this material I bought 3 other colours from a different vendor. Unfortunately none of the three 1Kg spools print without problems. :evil:

The problem with those materials seems to be the retract, that cuts into the material so the diameter of the filament decreases and can't get pushed into the hotend anymore.