Fill issues

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
TwelveSaints

Fill issues

Post by TwelveSaints » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:18 pm

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I was printing a 3d model of a home (pic attached of the .stl) yesterday that kept giving me trouble over 3 consecutive prints. I wanted to change the support structure to be easier to remove in the model, especially under the door frames, so I was messing with the settings a bit and it kept getting worse. What's been happening is that the sinks, couch, counters, etc all (seem to) print fine, but the machine is burying the entire thing by filling all of the empty space in the house with honeycomb fill. Admittedly, I don't know what ALL of the settings on the setup screen do mean, but I don't see why the printer wants to print me a solid block rather than a nice, clean-cut model for my design class project (would be nice to deliver something I could actually get an A on rather than a block of honeycomb plastic).

Any ideas what might be going on? Thanks for any help!
Attachments
HouseModel.jpg
HouseModel.jpg (430.89 KiB) Viewed 5196 times

tel

Re: Fill issues

Post by tel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:37 am

I'm assuming the fill is support rather than actual fill as your heading suggests.

Couple of things you could try.
Firstly change your Support Angle from 30 to 10
Secondly (may depend on the gap of the doors if you can use it) under Area> select Only Base (this basically turns support off)

Tiertime-Jason

Post by Tiertime-Jason » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:52 am

Hello,

you model contain a lot of red area, which indicate defective surface.
You may need to fix your models first before printing it, otherwise unexpected results could happen.

tel

Post by tel » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:13 am

Doh! How could I miss all that red when looking at it myself!!

TwelveSaints

Post by TwelveSaints » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I was unaware that red area meant a defective surface; I dont' think that's happened to me before. Any idea what might actually cause it to be defective? I don't really understand the problem it seems to be having with the model.

To answer the previous question, yes, it is support and not technically fill. It just so happens that the "support" is literally supporting nothing, so I wasn't quite sure what to classify it as. :?

tel

Post by tel » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:46 am

There are a lot of reasons it may be red - given the support being printed, my guess is that your print is non-manifold. There is a "fix model" option in the software which can fix basic issues, otherwise you can import it to Meshmixer which has a far better analyse and fix option.

More info here if you need it:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Non-man ... Nightmare/

realrouge

Post by realrouge » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi Tegregg,

You can also "fix" it by uploading the stl into tinkercad.com (free register only online design software)
Have fixed some third party designs with it. The import function automaticly smooths things...
Then export the design for 3d printing which makes it another stl file again...

Within tinkercad you can also adjust some things if you want...

good luck!