UP! mini ROM

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
amwales

UP! mini ROM

Post by amwales » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:55 pm

It's been a longtime since I powered up my UP! Mini. I had since lost the laptop that
the original software was installed onto. I downloaded v2.18 from 3dprintingsystems.
I was concerned that I did not have the latest UP! mini ROM firmware.
There ROM directory C:\Program Files (x86)\UP\System
does not exist when I install v2.18. So I looked incrementally installed each software
version v1.18 through to v2.18 and found the following

3dprinter1.18.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\UP\System\UP Mini 6.06.ROM
3dprinter1.19.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\UP\System\UP Mini 6.06.ROM
3dprinter2.0.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\UP\System\UP Mini 6.06.ROM
up2.11_setup.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\UP\System\UP Mini 6.06.ROM
up2.12_setup.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\UP\System\UP Mini 6.06.ROM
up2.13setup.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\UP\System\UP Mini 6.06.ROM
UP_2.14_setup.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\UP\System\UP Mini 6.06.ROM
UP2.15_setup.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\UP\System\UP Mini 6.06.ROM
could not find v2.16 or v2.17
UP2.18 setup.exe NO System directory!

So v2.8 contains no ROM, my guess is the company probably assumes that any
minis being shipped withing the last year or so must ALL now have the latest
required 6.06 ROM already installed.

Something else disconcerting, my firewall blocked a file tranfser to

http://www.tiertime.com/uploadfile/UPDATA.TXT

brainzilla

Re: UP! mini ROM

Post by brainzilla » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:20 am

When testing my Mini with the Gcode-translator showed that I have an older FW - but it never asked for a new one.
It seems that new FW files are only sent out by tiertime on request. I guess they have to somehow compile it with the serialnumber of the CPU or something. If you printer works, do not worry. It just receives the Gcode from the app and executes it.

amwales

Post by amwales » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:09 pm

When i originally received the printer in 2012 I had to install a ROM image along with the software, it was probably 1.16 at the time.
It difficult to remember everything, I may have stopped upgrading the software at 1.18. At the time I remember that every time there
was a new version of the software release, something would get fixed but something unrelated would be broken. It was always hit or
miss whether installing the new software would cause more problems than it solved. I had a workflow at the time and stuck to it.
I wish I had kept a journal. As with all hobbies I moved on to other things and the printer gathered dust for well over a year. Changing
laptop and moving to windows 10, I thought it would be best to try 2.18 ( the most recent ). As it was so far ahead of the older version
I assumed that a new ROM image would be required to work with the printer. Well after collect ALL the images between 2.18 and 1.16
I have the latest released ROM for the mini which is 6.06.

The good news, after opening the printer greasing the rods, removing and reinserting the sdcard ( there was an issue in the past that if
the sdcard was left for a long time and i tried to use the machine it would fail to print until i removed and reinserted the card. ).
Calibrating the bed, running some filament through. Then I did my first print and YAY it all worked again, what a relief.

It's funny returning to this forum after all that time and seeing the same questions asked 2 years ago being still left unanswered.

1. How do I turn off the beeping, can we have a fix in the software.
2. Can we see support detail displayed in the GUI.
3. Where can i find the correct model for the windbarrier supplied with the UP! mini since the one directory supplied is the incorrect size.
4. Raft removal has become impossible with the new firmware, roflmao
5. can we have temperature control from within the UI

The UP is definitely the simplest and best out of box experience right now but they have a way to go in terms of customer service
and communication. What is nice to see is that filament is available now from real third parties, a new heated bed, only I wish I could
get it locally in the UK, and the price has dropped to 1/2 of what it was 2 years ago ;)

mr_x

Post by mr_x » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Hello,

the UP ROM does not contain any firmware.
It contains:
* IO port configuration (which cable goes to which motor/sensor/heater/...)
* Parameter sets 0.2mm / 0.25mm / 0.3mm ...
* ROM-Programs (e.g. the initialize program with the "wonderful" beep beep beep)

So the only advantage of a new "ROM" file "could" be that you get new parameter sets or beep sound will be disabled.
BUT, all newer UP Mini's with newer ROM files do not have any changes to that.

In case you are interested to get more out of your printer (set temperatures, use smaller layer heights, even use different nozzles) then please check out my G-Code transcoder. This will let you use any Slicer (e.g. Slic3r, Cura, Simplify3D, ...). It already has support for Mini / Classic / Plus / Box.

Check it out here: https://github.com/MaikStohn/UP3D
Small How-To here: https://www.stohn.de/3d/index.php/2016/ ... tle-how-to
Forum discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=55250

Maik