Extruder head clicking when printing with PLA

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
tobih

Extruder head clicking when printing with PLA

Post by tobih » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Hello,
the printer works fine if set to ABS and "loaded" with ABS. However I've tried PLA by Hiendl and the filament got stuck after some minutes. The extruder head makes a clicking sound and nothing comes out of the nozzle. The printer was of course set to PLA. So I withdrew the PLA, disassembled the head, cleaned the nozzle in Acetone, checked the gear-wheel, assembled everything. Second try: set to PLA, inserting the filament in mode "Extrude" and voila, lots of PLA came out. So I started the print again, same result after some minutes: stuck, clack-clack-clack

I thought to myself "temperature too low" and set to ABS but used PLA. The part was printed perfectly, but I can't remove the raft nor the support. Too hot for PLA, obviously.

So, what can I do if I want to use PLA? Thank you for helping me.

brainzilla

Re: Extruder head clicking when printing with PLA

Post by brainzilla » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:07 pm

See my post here…
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=55265

I guess you are talking about 3rd party PLA?
You will need to lower your temperature via the SoftMod and maybe give extra coolers a thought.
The filament-oiling is really simple and might even solve your problem.

tobih

Post by tobih » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:27 am

Thank you very much. So in short terms: ABS likes it warmer (warping) and PLA likes it cooler (clogging). Oiling the filament is also a good idea.

tel

Post by tel » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:59 am

The Up printers also are very touchy about filament size. I have tried some 3rd party filaments that when measured come up around 1.78 - 1.80mm, in these cases I get exactly the same issue you have described. Changing the temp or oiling the filament hasnt fixed the issue for me. Makes the filament unusable in these cases.

mrt

Post by mrt » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:33 am

PLA is known for jamming in UP Printers

Filament manufacturer Polymaker address this problem with what they call Jam Free Technology.

They have tested their PLA extensively in UP Printers.
Michael
3D Printing Solutions
www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au