Turn off the beeping noise

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
LP

Turn off the beeping noise

Post by LP » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:48 am

Hello Guys,

I recently got a new UP Mini but I have a really anoying Problem.

Is there any way to deactivate the beeping noise on start, its really loud and anoyying.

I hope you can help me :)

brainzilla

Re: Turn off the beeping noise

Post by brainzilla » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:11 pm

What I did:
I took a small screw and GENTLY screwed it into the hole of the beeper :-)
The way you do this: Turn slowly and test if printer still beeps after every turn.
At some point you will have reached the membrane of the beeper, then you will just hear a silent rattling or buzzing.
By retracting the screw just a bit, you allow the membrane to reach some swing again, thus getting louder again.

Or take some silicone/rubber the size of the hole and press it in there, so the membrane is shut.

Matchpoint

Post by Matchpoint » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:23 pm

there is a cover you can print on thingiverse for this as well. I can't seem to find it but I know its on there, it shows a picture of an orange cover.

ricks01

Post by ricks01 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Matchpoint wrote:there is a cover you can print on thingiverse for this as well. I can't seem to find it but I know its on there, it shows a picture of an orange cover.
It won't turn off the beeping but it does make it a little quieter...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31957

Matchpoint

Post by Matchpoint » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:59 pm

ricks01 wrote:
Matchpoint wrote:there is a cover you can print on thingiverse for this as well. I can't seem to find it but I know its on there, it shows a picture of an orange cover.
It won't turn off the beeping but it does make it a little quieter...

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31957
I knew I wasnt crazy haha thanks

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:13 pm

You could also solder a resistor from the + terminal of the buzzer to GND to silence it. Or a poti. Or add a switch.
But physically blocking the membrane is the only option that won't void warranty and make it silent.
Caps don't help much since the sound is really intense and will also escape through the bottom of the board.
As I said: Some rubber-nipple that pressed down on the membrane will fix it well.