Extruder Head Clicking: Gear Not Grabbing Filament

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Xin

Extruder Head Clicking: Gear Not Grabbing Filament

Post by Xin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:32 pm

Hey guys,

So I've been using an Up! Mini for about a month now, and it was working fine until recently. During a print which was a reprint of previous parts, the gear suddenly started clicking.

I took the print head apart, I've cleaned the nozzle, cleaned the extruder block (both by soaking in an acetone bath for a few days), and I've cleaned the gear thoroughly. I only use the UP Fila ABS filament, and I tried two different spools (for possible faulty filament or something), and the issue remains.

It seems to grab the filament fine, and extrudes it until the tip reaches the extruder block, and that's when it starts clicking. I am confident it's clean, so could it possibly be a misalignment of some sort perhaps? Or maybe even not enough friction? I'm not exactly sure because visually, the entire unit should be working fine - everything is clean and assembled properly.

All help is greatly appreciated; thanks guys!

ricks01

Re: Extruder Head Clicking: Gear Not Grabbing Filament

Post by ricks01 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:35 am

mrwxy wrote:
I am confident it's clean

You did look into the down tube on the extruder heater block to make sure there was no blockage and also you looked at the nozzle opening to make sure it was clear as well? You will need to remove the nozzle from the heater block and hold the nozzle up at a light source to make sure the opening is clear.

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Be sure to preheat the nozzle to full ABS temperature, by activating extrude or withdraw in the maintenance window, before attempting to unscrew it from the block, Else there is a good chance you will shear it off !

cheers

Peter

Xin

Post by Xin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:13 am

I made sure to "Withdraw" it to make sure that it was at least 200 degrees before I attempted removing any of the parts as recommended in the User Manual. I also looked through the extruder block and the nozzle holes and there's no blockage. I even looked through the filament pathway from top down while it was fully assembled, and everything looks clear. To confirm this, I fed a thin wire through it (slightly over 1mm thick), and the pathway is clear. I'm at a loss right now, and am absolutely befuddled.. Is it possible for the gear to become weak and therefore not have enough power behind it to feed the filament?

wackojacko

Post by wackojacko » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:29 pm

Be sure the drive gear is free from plastic dust. Also ensure you have set material to ABS if printing with ABS and not PLA
Bruce
http://www.3DPrintingSystems.com

Need help with your printer, check out our Youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/3dprinting ... /playlists