Clogged in an area unsure how to clean??

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Stefan

Clogged in an area unsure how to clean??

Post by Stefan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:31 am

Looks like PLA is clogged between the nozzle and where the filament extrudes into.

I tried to extrude ABS through but doesn't come through the whole way.

What is the best way I can get to the PLA to clean it out?

Can't attach photos for some reason so will link to dropbox.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/648 ... 6%2041.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/648 ... 6%2035.jpg

tel

Re: Clogged in an area unsure how to clean??

Post by tel » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:06 am

I have a piece of metal rod that fits in the hole. If that happens I heat up the extruder and then (using gloves!!), push the metal rod through the extruder which clears it. At times I have had to unscrew the hot end and pust it through from the top, just be sure to check how it fits together, as there is a small spacer (which you can see in both of your pictures) that comes off when you unscrew it.

ricks01

Post by ricks01 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:19 am

Disassemble the nozzle from the extruder head and from the top, use a 1/16" drill bit to drill out and remove the blockage.

HazzaH

Post by HazzaH » Sun May 08, 2016 9:56 am

I use a really tiny drill bit; but just the drill bit not attached to any power drill! That brass that the nozzles is made from is way softer a metal than your drill bit and you can shear right through the thing. Just take your extrude assembly off and work the drillbit through.

Also something to bare in mind: You should heat up the nozzle before you try to take it off (this is if the PLA has really clogged it up awfully) because if the plastic has leaked into the tread, it can really junk up the printing process; but makes it impossible to take the extruder nozzle off without stripping the tread on the nozzle. Trying to take off the nozzle head while the thing is still hot will make sure you don't destroy the extruder nozzle. Just make sure to do this with those heat gloves and on a good work surface. You don't need it to be at printing heat, but hot enough for the gloss point of your PLA.

ricks01

Post by ricks01 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:50 am

HazzaH wrote:I use a really tiny drill bit; but just the drill bit not attached to any power drill! That brass that the nozzles is made from is way softer a metal than your drill bit and you can shear right through the thing.

Never had that happen to me!, just don't be careless and you will be just fine!!