Problematic ABS filament

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
HKGBoy

Problematic ABS filament

Post by HKGBoy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Soi am new to the whole 3d printing thing. I have many successful prints but I seem to have a couple of filaments that just seem to not want to play ball. As I "inherited" the Up! mini and the rolls of filament I can't really complain. But it just seems that these two are going to bug me. Specifically Gold and Brown (although fits more of a redish brown, almost purple colour). Anyways sidetracking there...

I have installed the amazing software mod and tried numerous different temps but I just can't get it to work on prints.. It extrudes perfectly. Every time... Just doesn't want to print past the 2nd sometimes third layer without either jamming and clunking or just not extruding...

The brown sometimes prints and stops part way through, or will only print the first few layers or will just clunk away. The gold......well......just a pita..

I have tried the following.
Layer 1: 250
Layer 2: 240
Layer 3+: 230

Layer 1: 245
Layer 2: 230
Layer 3+: 220

Layer 1: 245
Layer 2: 235
Layer 3+: 220

Layer 1: 235
Layer 2: 220
Layer 3+: 210

I am pulling my hair out over this. Any help would be appreciated
Last edited by HKGBoy on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrewPetitclerc

Re: Problematic filament

Post by DrewPetitclerc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:08 am

Sounds like you are trying to print with PLA, that will never work 100% on an stock Afinia printer, you need to change the "all metal" hot end out for "Recreus" style barrel, it has a PTFE nylon insert that helps the filament pass through, when PLA gets warmed up a little is "swells" a little and will "Stick" to an "all metal" barrel causing extra back pressure and the "strip-out" - "Clunk" sound - no feeding of plastic.
Drew Petitclerc
Petitclerc Designs
Owner/Senior Principal Designer, prototype, tooling and test equipment design and 3D printing
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiverse.com/DrewPetitclerc

LonV

Post by LonV » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:27 pm

Doesn't someone sell one that's directly compatible with the UP? I thought it was Recreus, but can't find it on their website.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:33 pm

LonV wrote:Doesn't someone sell one that's directly compatible with the UP? I thought it was Recreus, but can't find it on their website.

Yes, it is in fact Recreus, if you scroll with the arrows you will see it, however they don't have it listed in their "Products" section of the website, but you can contact them via email to order.

HKGBoy

Post by HKGBoy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Sorry guys, thought I had mentioned its ABS I am printing with.

Great tips if I decide to delve into PLA tho so thanks in advance