What function does this serve?

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
GrantWatson

What function does this serve?

Post by GrantWatson » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:22 am

Hi everyone,

Just in the process of a teardown of my Mini so I can clean out all the plastic dust, relubricate the linear bearings properly, and have another attempt at bed calibration. I removed the top plastic facia and came across this plastic bracket that is retaining a socket head screw for some reason. I've never noticed this before, and I cant figure out what it does. Anyone know?

jeeplvr

Re: What function does this serve?

Post by jeeplvr » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:14 am

Never seen that before. Did you buy the machine used? My printer doesn't have it. At first I thought it might be something to do with the door magnet but my machine doesn't use it.

GrantWatson

Post by GrantWatson » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:03 am

Nope, bought the machine brand new back in the day. It doesn't line up with the door at all, but is obscured by the curved plastic cover that goes over the top of the machine. I can't see any possible reason for putting this on the machine other than a place to store a spare screw for some reason! Very odd...

jezza

Post by jezza » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:36 am

I haven't posted for a long time, cause I have not had any issues with my up mini, other than when I bought it brand new and burnt the cpu.
But; this post has caught my eye and my curiosity. My mini has this mystical screw also. Doesn't seem to do a thing, except maybe up the $$$ value.
I'm going to print a dozen of them in case I break this one. :lol:

brainzilla

Post by brainzilla » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:55 pm

Took a look just now and I have that screw too. (Germany, Tchibo UP! Mini 2014)
I would guess it's some sort of last-minute-hack to keep the housing from shaking / bending / rattling.
Most likely the housing bent inwards while the other side is held in place by the door-hinges.
Why not? Just a little printed part plus a 1ct screw…