ERROR: "Nozzle To Hot"

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
MattiasDC

ERROR: "Nozzle To Hot"

Post by MattiasDC » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:00 am

I've recently bought an UP mini printer to print some of my model for school.
I'm very happy with the print quality and the ease of use, and already printed about 20 different things.
But since the last succesfull prints it starts printing and after about 30min I get this error that says "Nozzle to Hot",
it stops mid print and the temperature starts dropping slowly. After that all I can do is re-initialize.
What i've tried already is, with the use of this software temperature mod that is floating around on this forum, lower the temperature in
the software to 230° and then it prints fine again without the error.
So what I think that is wrong is that my temperature sensor might give bad readings (+-30° to high) so the printer thinks it's getting to hot and gives the error.
The software mod helps, but I find it only fitting as a temporary solution, because when I do a large print I will get the error even with the mod and this make
the printer unreliable for my schoolwork since I have a deadline and I can't keep trying until it might just print without error one more time.
Or could there be another problem?

SO...Since I don't have the time and money to order a complete new heater block.
Is there a possibility of replacing the temperature sensor with a new one from the electro shop?
Which one should it be? Does it have to be a pt100 or would this kind of thermistor work to?
http://www.llamatech.be/nl/home/83-ther ... g104f.html (this one is from a shop in Belgium which is close-by for me)

Thanks for the help!

pleppik

Re: ERROR: "Nozzle To Hot"

Post by pleppik » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:37 pm

This is almost always due to a broken or damaged wire to the temperature sensor in the print head.

An open circuit registers too-high temperature, and trips the fail-safe. If the wire is not quite completely broken it can occasionally register an open circuit and then work again a few minutes later.

You need a replacement hot end. If the printer is under warranty it should be replaced for free, otherwise you can buy the part for about $80. This includes the nozzle, heater, temperature sensor, and wiring. Replacing the part takes about five minutes.

MattiasDC

Post by MattiasDC » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:52 pm

Thank you for the quick reply!
I'm pretty sure by now that it is indeed because of a broken wire, because I did two prints today and it failed a couple of time in between and when I looked in maintenance the temperature reading said: 365°C
After I pushed the wire a bit, the temperature reading dropped to 170°C and when I let loose it instantly went back to +300°C.
Now If secured the wire in the position that keeps connection with another metal wire that goes around the extruder and this seems to keep working.
But I would like to fix it with a new temperature sensor I've bought separately, because I really can't afford a new hot end.
I've bought a new Da Vinci Junior which turned out to be absolute crap and difficult to return, after which I've bought this Up mini second hand, so I'm way over my budget already.
Which temperature sensor should I get?

Thank you!

pleppik

Post by pleppik » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:51 pm

MattiasDC wrote: But I would like to fix it with a new temperature sensor I've bought separately, because I really can't afford a new hot end.
I've bought a new Da Vinci Junior which turned out to be absolute crap and difficult to return, after which I've bought this Up mini second hand, so I'm way over my budget already.
Which temperature sensor should I get?

Thank you!
The problem is almost certainly the wires and not the temperature sensor per se.

If you are an adept tinkerer, you can try cutting off the wiring harness and soldering new wires and a new plug in place. You will need to re-wire both the heater and the sensor, since they're connected to the same plug. I'm not sure where to get the right plug, but there's probably someone here knows where to find the part.

Unless your soldering skills are good this probably won't work. On the other hand, the parts are just a few bucks, and if it doesn't work you're in the same place as before (buying a new hot end).