Printer not working - problems with cleaning

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
Davision

Printer not working - problems with cleaning

Post by Davision » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:15 pm

My printer stopped printing after a couple of layers, I got this clack sounds of the stepper motor and nothing got extruded. It worked again after cleaning it up around the nozzle and using eject and extrude but then it happened again after a few layers and then did not work at all anymore.
  • I then went to clean it all up around the nozzle with aceton
    - Did not help
  • I tried to get the nozzle off.
    - No chance, just the upper part it is connected to got rotated a bit
  • I took the whole printer head out and layed it into a aceton bath, just so high that the nozzle part is inside it. Unfortunately that was enough to touch the abs part of it which then distorted a bit after 1 hour.
    - It again did not help and the nozzle would still not get off
  • I then disassembled the printer head partialy so that the nozzle and the heater part it is still connected to got off. I put that in a aceton bath for 24 hours. - The abs inside got a weak and some might got dissolved.
    - Nozzle still won't go off.
  • I picked some of the abs out with a twizzer. (lots of fiddling)
  • I sprayed it with WD-40 (several passes)
    - Nozzle still don't get off
  • I washed it all with water, dryed and connected that half dissembled printer head to the printer to heat it all up, hoping it would do something
    - Just some smoke which hopefully didn't make it worse
  • I only tried to extrude that filament part that is still at the bottom of the stepper motor part (nozzle/heater not connected)
    - Does not come out
  • I tried to extrude that filament while pushing some filament in (nozzle/heater not connected)
    - Does not come out and got the same clack sounds that started it all
  • Currently trying to weaken that stuck abs part in the stepper part with aceton without putting it in a bath
If I get that out I still have that abs inside the nozzle and heater part, I'm also not sure how much of a problem that part is if got always already stuck in the stepper motor.
I also don't know if it just the whole stepper motor that is broken and that is why extrude won't make that chunk come out?

I'm having my UP! Mini for 2 weeks btw.

mb20music

Re: Printer not working - problems with cleaning

Post by mb20music » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:57 pm

You need to heat up the extruder in order to remove the nozzle from the extruder. This can be done by using the "extrude" or "withdraw" function. Once the nozzle is removed you can either let it soak in acetone overnight or you can do what I do and heat up the nozzle with a propane plumber's torch for a few minutes. You can hold the nozzle up to a light and check to see if it is still clogged.

While the nozzle is off of the extruder, you can then use a 1/16" or 1.5mm drill bit to get out any filament that is in the downtube.

It is a good idea to have an extra nozzle on hand in case of a clog.

Davision

Re: Printer not working - problems with cleaning

Post by Davision » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:20 pm

mb20music wrote:You need to heat up the extruder in order to remove the nozzle from the extruder. This can be done by using the "extrude" or "withdraw" function. Once the nozzle is removed you can either let it soak in acetone overnight or you can do what I do and heat up the nozzle with a propane plumber's torch for a few minutes. You can hold the nozzle up to a light and check to see if it is still clogged.

While the nozzle is off of the extruder, you can then use a 1/16" or 1.5mm drill bit to get out any filament that is in the downtube.

It is a good idea to have an extra nozzle on hand in case of a clog.
That did not work either. I think it is way too much burnt together. But it got now cleaned up enough without getting it off. I disassembled most of the printer head for it. I also noticed afterwards that I accidentally purchased PLA instead of ABS which seems to work not all with this printer. I think what happened is that the PLA clogged the nozzle and heater part, the stepper part tried keep pushing it in and jammed it also in the wheel. Had to get it out there too.