Warping between the raft and the piece

Support for UP mini. To report a bug, post with a title [BUG REPORT]. To request a feature, post with a title [FEATURE REQUEST]
yo3ggx

Warping between the raft and the piece

Post by yo3ggx » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to print the following piece:
http://www.thingiverse.com/download:899464

I'm getting warping between the raft and the piece, using the default printing values.
The raft is perfectly stick to the bed (I've taken the picture after I've started to remove it from the bed, so it may look a little bit off).
I'm using the ABS included with the printer, with heated bed (60deg).

I have no issues at all with smaller pieces, getting excellent prints.

There is anything I can configure or do to get a good print for this piece on my UP! mini (no mods)?

Thank you,
Dan

Peter

Re: Warping between the raft and the piece

Post by Peter » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:17 am

Try to set quality to normal or fast, preheat the platform and print in a warm room.

mb20music

Post by mb20music » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:54 am

Do you have the fan door on the extruder closed? fully closing the fan door can help prevent or minimize warping.

Also want to mention that many people have reported warping issues on larger prints on the Mini. The platform heater on the mini doesn't get as hot as the Plus printer models. Many people have done mods to their Mini to make the platform hotter which helps minimize warping.

You can do a search for more info on the platform heater mod.

yo3ggx

Post by yo3ggx » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi,
Tried again in fast mode, 1h bed preheat. Still warping (on top of the raft), but now in two corners only.
warp1.jpg
Still warping
warp1.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 10992 times
I will try again without a raft.

Dan

mr6k

Post by mr6k » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:40 pm

Dan,
One of the limits of ABS is that it has a large coefficient of expansion when heated. Therefore shrinks dramatically as it cools. As can be seen in your print the shrinkage occurs most where the largest volume of material is and where the heat loss is greatest. You will find many partial solutions on this forum, some better than others, but there will always be some residual shrinkage on high volume or long edge parts. Other material have less shrinkage but may not be applicable for other reasons. I guess one solution is to build smaller parts and then weld together using MEK.

Best of luck

Peter

yo3ggx

Post by yo3ggx » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:11 pm

I have tried with no raft, including some other light pieces designed in Thinkercad (7cmx7cm base) with the same warping. I can print with acceptable warping only pieces smaller than 3-4 cm. Considering this, stated 120x120x120mm capabilities with original filament and no printer mods are in my opinion false. I've just ordered different other brands filaments, including PLA. I will do the temp mod for them. Lets see if I will be able to print bigger objects with this printer... For the moment I'm disappointed by the quality of the print for the Up! Mini...

Why to be forced to modify such a nice printer just to be able to print something as stated in the product description?
TierTime Technology Co. Ltd is reading this forum or not? Nothing to be done to make the customers happy?

There is any Up Mini user able to print bigger objects in ABS without noticeable warping and without any mods voioding the warranty?
If yes, I would be glad to receive some other advice. This is my first 3D printer and I have big plans for it, but now I can only play with very small objects.
There is any better filament than the original one?

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Dan

ja_cruz

Post by ja_cruz » Fri May 22, 2015 12:10 am

Hi, I had the same problem.

I think i've solved calibrating the platform. In fact, I adjusted the screws under de platform and its base. After that, recalibrated the paltform by clicking "platform calibrate" in the program menu. Also, don't forget to preheat de platform.

Bye and good luck.

stormychel

Post by stormychel » Wed May 27, 2015 2:53 am

This printer is what it is... a disappointment :) Until you start to realise it does print very well when you take its limitations into account... Parts with a large base? Forget them, print them in parts, print them upside down, if you really need them print them as hollow as possible.

You might try HIPS filament, which warps a little less, but it needs to be printed at around 230-240°, requiring a (software) temp mod.

Another bet is PLA, but then you are limited to brands that work with the printer without mods, and there are not so many. Try Colorfabb.

I do love my Mini, but as most people here I modded it with a temp mod switch and a warmer heat bed (replaced 60° thermal switch with a 80° one, should have gone for 100° though). But this still leaves me with a printer that warps on big prints... I learned to live with it, you probably should too!
@stormychel

roller

Post by roller » Wed May 27, 2015 12:51 pm

As stormy suggests the Mini is a bomb with it's configuration out of the factory. I was one of the very early owners and if your bored you can read a tirade of frustrated and angry posts from many years ago. Since then they have fixed nothing. I upgraded to an Up Plus almost straight away and have been ecstatically happy ever since.

The number one problem Mini is the platform does not get hot enough. It need to hit 80C minimum to stop ABS warping away from the bed. The enclosure is a good idea (reduces warping) but it needs to not have a hole at the top to let all the heat out.... and it needs a hotter bed to get that chamber hot.

As for PLA, that would be a better solution for the Mini but the extruder design is really not good for PLA and the enclosure makes it harder to get the print and extruder cooled - essential for PLA.

The best you can do is:
- stuff something in the hole at the top to limit heat lost.
- preheat the interior of the Mini (I used a heater or hairdryer)
- print at faster speed (Fast is fastest - Fine is slowest) as the layers will bond better if they have less time to cool.

When you can look at upgrading the bed heater to an 80C one, do it ... or get an Up Plus.

Maybe read through this:
http://pp3dp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 2&start=20

LonV

Post by LonV » Wed May 27, 2015 8:15 pm

Besides what everyone else has said, on my Up Plus, I learned I really need to let it heat up for 20-30 minutes before printing. This allows the enclosure time to get warm and cozy and then warping is less.

-Lon